Locking candidates out of a quiz

Locking candidates out of a quiz

by H Singh -
Number of replies: 5

We are running a selection quiz for admissions. Some students log in late and create a disruption by sending emails to the organizers because they missed the initial instructions provided over zoom. How do we prevent candidates from starting a quiz attempt if they are late by more than 5 minutes? Normally, our selection quiz is 1 hour long, but with an extra 20 minutes to address network issues etc. However, with the disruption involved, it is not worth it anymore. We do not want to punish candidates who genuinely need the extra time but listened to the instructions at the start by showing up on time. We just want to get rid of irritating candidates who show up 15 minutes late and coast because of the extra time.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to H Singh

Re: Locking candidates out of a quiz

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi

I think you can use this trick waiting a real feature
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=420168#p1693349
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

by H Singh -
Just so that I understand this, what you suggest is that I make the quiz unavailable by editing the properties (stealth mode) about 5 minutes after the quiz starts. Sounds fine. That way anyone landing on the quiz page will not be able to even see the quiz. I am concerned about one thing - will affect candidates who have already started the attempt? What if one of them has a network problem and gets bumped off the attempt, and tries to re-enter?
In reply to H Singh

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, this is not an ideal solution but a temporary patch while waiting for this integration (one day?)

The test is already in stealth mode from the beginning and only accessible from the link in a label

And it is this tag that "disappears".

Those who are IN the activity are not ejected.

But if you quit and come back, the access link will no longer be available.

I have not yet found a better way than this trick without development...
In reply to H Singh

by C Schipper -

I can think of two options:

1. Set a simple password on the Quiz and give this password at the start of your Zoom call. How to docs.
  2. Slightly more complicated: use a combo of access restrictions and activity completion:
    1. Set up a Page with instructions (or something else useful). Under "Restrict access" add a "Date" restriction for the page to only be available until 5 minutes after the quiz has started. Under "Activity completion" set "Student must view this activity to complete it". 
    2. In the quiz, under "Restrict access" add a "Activity completion" restriction where the page must be marked complete.
    3. Instruct the students in the Zoom call to click on this page to access the Quiz. It might help to add a link to the quiz in the page as well (purely for user experience).

This should ensure student who turn up late can't access the quiz, but doesn't penalise those who have to come out of the quiz and back in if they have network issues.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)