How to serve device friendly version of the same activity?

How to serve device friendly version of the same activity?

by Nicolas Dalpe -
Number of replies: 2

Dear Community,

I hope I am posting in the right forum. I am sure someone had this problem before but I can’t find any reference on the issue.

We have a course containing 8 modules. For each, module we made a Storyline version (for desktop) and a Rise version (for mobile). We would like to keep the two versions as Storyline offer a more interactive version and looks much nicer but looks horrible on mobile.

Is there a way to display Storyline content to student on desktop and the Rise version to the student on mobile while keeping the course completion? Ie: a student could complete 4 modules on mobile and 4 modules on desktop and the course would be consider completed in their grade book.

Does anyone have face this situation before? Anyone has any idea on how to solve this?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you in advance

----

I am using Moodle 3.10 for this project with Boost theme.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nicolas Dalpe

Re: How to serve device friendly version of the same activity?

by Beatriz Rojo -

Hi Nicolas,

I couldn't help smiling with your comment "but looks horrible on mobile.". I was surprised to see that such a popular and expensive tool as Storyline was not device-agnostic at all, and the mobile-friendly version RISE is quite limited, isn't it? 

This is how I'd address your case:

• You create 2 groups in the course. Ideally, students can enroll themselves in a group.
  • Edit the availability of the resources: the RISE activities will only be visible to the group "mobile device", and the Storyline activities to the group "Desktop".
  • Configure the course completion settings.

I'm not familiar with the Moodle mobile app, it might be that it only shows mobile-friendly resources. This would also be an option.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Re: How to serve device friendly version of the same activity?

by Nicolas Dalpe -
Hi Beatriz,
Thx for your reply. Yeah, you’d think Storyline would do a better job than uniformly scale down your content until it fits into a mobile screen. As for Rise, it is the good old mobile web, linearized content. You can basically do the same thing with Rise than Storyline like add voice over and video but it is less seamlessly integrated than in Storyline. Rise looks more like a regular webpage but I am a programmer, a content integrator could sum up the difference better than me.

I like your idea of having 2 groups. Ideally the student could alternate between mobile and desktop version but it will be difficult to do since 1) a module can’t be resumed since the 2 versions contain different number of pages and 2) I didn’t figure out a way to track the course completion since their will always be half of the modules completed (a module is either completed on mobile or on desktop).

I will look closer at Moodle Mobile. There might be a way to do this on MM that would solve the 2 issue above. Thx for the tips.

I’ll keep updating this post if I find something interesting.

Thank you.