installing moodle!

installing moodle!

by Ali Bakhshalizadeh -
Number of replies: 9

Hi everyone! I'd have to say I'm a beginner to PHP.  I'm trying to install moodle in my windows 2003 server at home.  I'm having trouble.

First, where do I obtain the database tables and etc from???  I don't see it inside the CVS moodle that I downloaded!!  I made attempt to download the mysql admin of moodle but for some reason that's not working! empty page comes up. 

I do have my own PHPmyAdmin web interface.. and I am attemping to setup the database, but I don't see where the tables are! could you help please?

Second, I revised the config-dist.php to my information... now is there a config.php involved? because there was none in the CVS download...   but I'm getting the following error:

Warning: main(config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\moodle\moodle\index.php on line 4

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'config.php' (include_path='.;c:\php4\pear') in C:\moodle\moodle\index.php on line 4

I would greatly appreciate it if someone here could guide me through installation of moodle since I'm very interested.  Thanks so much. 

If anyone's willing to help my email is:  alibak@sbcglobal.net

Thanks again.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Bakhshalizadeh

Re: installing moodle!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What you need is some install documentation:   http://moodle.org/doc/?frame=install.html  smile  
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ali Bakhshalizadeh -

Hi! But I have looked at it already! I don't feel that I understood the database making! and the thing about config.php, AND also where I'd find the database files!! I don't see any .sql in the downloaded files!

please let me know. 

my email is:  alibak@sbcglobal.net

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You don't need the SQL, and you don't need to create the tables - Moodle does this for you.

All you need to do is create a database (using phpmyadmin if you like) and then edit config.php with the database name, user name and password so that Moodle can do the rest.

by Ali Bakhshalizadeh -

Hi, I just went to phpmyadmin and from there I created a directory called "moodle" then I went to "sql" in phpmyadmin and then did browse and went to the moodle file and then "lib" then "db" and chose mysql.sql  and then imported the tables!  (so I think that's how it's done?!)

now.. then I went to config.php and changed all necessary stuff... and now when I go to the site....  this happens:  http://www.artsociety.us/moodle/index.php  check it out!! my config.php shows as a text!!  maybe you can see the error I made there and help me

Also, nothing "automatically" happened with respect to database setup!!

any help is appreciated.  If you want to come to my computer remotely and help me even better smile

let me know (alibak@sbcglobal.net)

by Martin Dougiamas -
You've edited config.php with a HTML editor and saved it as a HTML file. This is wrong - it should be a text file.

Start again with config-dist.php and use notepad or something.

And again, I really think you should follow the install documentation - the stuff you are doing with SQL etc is not mentioned in there.

by Ali Bakhshalizadeh -

hi ! you're online right now... would you be willing to help me set it up right now all the way?

I have no clue with php!! I'm a ASP guy smile  now getting into PHP smile... to be honest I'm a last year medical student with engineering background who's setting up an online art institute smile 

will you help me set this up?

by Ali Bakhshalizadeh -
but it says config.php!! it does not say .html!!????

by Ali Bakhshalizadeh -

hey I did it smile smile)))))) thanks so much!  I was about to start getting down on my knees to ask you to come help me! smile

well... lets see if I can finish the set up now...

by Ali Bakhshalizadeh -

So, if I downloaded the moodle via cvs... do I have all the modules and all the optional and thirdparty stuff?  if I'm using windows server, do I "have to" install the "cron" program?  how do I do that!

thanks.