How to Configure IP

How to Configure IP

by Reginald D'Silva -
Number of replies: 1

I am a grad student and trying out moodle as part of course work,  I have followed all instructions and moodle is installed on my machine. The installation went well and it works fine under "localhost" but I cannot access the site from anywhere else ( with an IP address for example) that is I don't think my machine is a server yet.

I have an IP address and have previously installed apache "tomcat" server and run that successfully.

I am trying to set the "Listen", "Servername" and related directives in apache config file to read my IP and port but there is still no success.  Is there a config file under php that needs to be configured?

I have a linksys firewall and have forwarded ports for the machine I am on so that should be ok...can I  have teh server on any other port than '80'? How can I get my computer  to serve moodle through my IP?

Any tips suggestions and hints as to what I can try.

Reg

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Reginald D'Silva

Re: How to Configure IP

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
1st things first.... this *must* be an Apache problem!

Do you have a firewall on the machine (in addition to the Router)? Is port 80 blocked?

Can you see any other pages - ie, is the default home page visible outside of localhost?

What distro are you using?

The settings in httpd.conf won't make any difference (except the port setting). Setting the IP here is mainly so that virtual domains work properly, and even then its only really in case you have multiple NICs or Apache cannot obtain the IP by itself (unlikely) - this is about 95% NOT your problem!!

You can have Apache running on any port you like - but its not a very good idea!! You didn't run Tomcat on port 80 already, did you?