Russuan Language

Russuan Language

by Александр Хвесько -
Number of replies: 13

Good afternoon, I really need help.

I have installed Moodle 3.10 on Centos 8 - Apache + PHP + MariaDB. Moodle itself is only available on the local network. Although the server has internet access. I need to install a Russian package. Since I cannot do this via the web server, writes

Unable to connect to the download server. It is not possible to install or update the language packs automatically. Please download the appropriate ZIP file (s) from https://download.moodle.org/langpack/3.10/ and unzip them manually to your data directory / var / moodle / data / lang / 

I followed the link, downloaded ru.zip and unpacked it into the / var / moodle / data / lang / directory. However, when choosing a language, English (en) and English (ru) are available to me. I unpacked and now I have this way /var/moodle/data/lang/ru/ and further files ***. php 

When choosing any option, my interface is in English.

Help please 

Everyone is kind and do not be ill.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Александр Хвесько

Re: Russuan Language

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

This diagram shows the order that language settings are applied.

With the default settings there are two options in Moodle:

1. The Preferred language setting in each user's preferences. If this is set to Русский ‎(ru)‎ then the interface for that user should be in Russian.
    Preferred language screenshot in EnglishPreferred language screenshot in Russian
  2. The Default language for the site which is the setting for each new user unless 1) another language is specified when the user is created or 2) the user has changed the language in their preferences.
    Language settings screenshot in EnglishLanguage settings screenshot in Russian

If it's still not working let us know exactly which options have been changed and what you see. Screenshots help us understand (hide any information you don't want to share on the Internet).

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Александр Хвесько -
Thanks. Unfortunately, when installing the ru. English (ru) appears in my system, instead of Russian (ru). And when I choose English (ru), then my interface is in English. I suspect the problem is in the operating system.

by Leon Stringer -

I thought "English (ru)" must be a mistake – is that really what you see? The language name in the menu is made up of the directory name (e.g. ru) and the $string['thislanguage'] value in langconfig.php within that directory. If you see "English (ru)" then I think the English language pack has somehow been extracted into the ru directory.

Check ru/langconfig.php, is it:

$string['thislanguage'] = 'English';

or:

$string['thislanguage'] = 'Русский';

If it's 'English' then it's wrong, delete the ru directory and extract ru.zip again, then check langconfig.php again.

You may need to purge all caches to get changes to the language files picked up.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Александр Хвесько -
Good afternoon, Leon.
Thank you for your advice. i opened in ru / langconfig.php file. There's a line
$ string ['thislanguage'] = 'Russian';

An amazing incident happened today. I went to the moodle website and everything was in Russian. But then, after a few seconds, the site was again translated into English. I can't figure out where he got these settings from. My PC and browser settings are completely Russian.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
A random guess since you say "translated to English": Is your browser set to automatic translation? Try with a different browser or a different computer?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Александр Хвесько -
I've tried cleaning the browser, tried another browser, tried another computer. It is interesting that I have 5 sites with Moodle on one virtual machine and they are perfectly translated into Russian. The problem is with this site, it works on a different server.

by Leon Stringer -

The 'thislanguage' value should appear in that language:

Text editor screenshot showing $string['thislanguage'] for the Russian language pack

Visvanath's suggestion that the browser is translating the text would explain why your Moodle site appears in English and might explain why moodle.org appeared in English after first loading in Russian.

But this wouldn't explain why this is happening with other browsers.

Then you should compare the differences in the web server (Apache) settings and any .htaccess files intercepting the web server(s).

by Александр Хвесько -
I checked all the settings of the .htaccess file. but everything is fine there

Good for you. There are others who have different experiences. This one is from yesterday, https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=413656#p1671364.

by Александр Хвесько -
Good afternoon, Visvanath.
Thanks for your help. I found the reason. SELINUX was enabled on Centos 8. It was in conflict with the Moodle app. I disabled it and everything worked correctly smile

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I forget right off-hand how to do it, but if you check on your server, it will usually tell you how to fix the SELINUX problem. That would be much better than disabling SELINUX.