Coming Soon courses

Coming Soon courses

by John Poodle -
Number of replies: 2

I am trying to setup placeholder type courses for courses that are not yet ready but will be launched in the future. They are essentially just a label with an image. In addition though I would like to include a way for any authenticated user to be able to register their interest. This can be done many different ways eg. feedback activity, Google form etc. However the challenge I have is what enrolment method to use for this.

At the moment if I allow only manual enrolments and essentially block enrolments into the course, then every user will not be able to get past the enrollment screen (below) and not be able to register their interest. Is there a way this screen can be customised in any way eg. adding a link?

Otherwise if I enable guest access then users are easily able to access to the feedback link/form however it then opens it up to non-logged in users as well, which I do not want because with non-logged in users I will not know who they are and one person can potentially submit multiple times which will skew the data. Is there a way to enable guest access for the course but only allow authenticated user to access it?

Or if there is a third better option I am open to suggestions as well.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Poodle

Re: Coming Soon courses

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
You could allow self enrolment - guests would need a valid user account but authenticated users would be able to register interest (once!) by self enrolling. That way, you don’t need a separate form - the enrolment page will show you the number of people who are interested and their user details (which you can also download as a csv).

When you enable the self enrolment plugin, you can choose a name for the “instance”, which might be “Register your interest in this course”.

If you want even more control, use a plugin like https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_apply or https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_waitlist

With the latter, just set your available places to 0 and change the language strings to reflect the interest rather than the waiting.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Poodle

Re: Coming Soon courses

by John Poodle -
Ok I have come up with a solution that I am happy with and would like to share for anyone trying to achieve the same.

1) Enable guest access to the course (and on the site if it isn't already), bypassing any enrollment requirements
2) Go through each activity and set the restriction to: Not available unless: Your Email address contains @ (hidden otherwise) , this will prevent these activities from showing to a non logged in user including logged in guests
3) Create a new activity label stating that this course is only visible to logged in users etc and set the restriction to: Not available unless: Your Email address does not contain @ (hidden otherwise) , this will show this activity to non logged in users including logged in guests

This will make the course essentially completely public and show up in searches etc but this is the desired result. Once the course is ready the activities can be switched for the actual learning content and the restrictions updated as required. This will also allow only authenticated users to submit feedback. I hope this helps.