Please, help with course structure

Please, help with course structure

by Fernando Souza -
Number of replies: 9

Hi everybody,

I have 3 different courses (course A, course B and course C), each one with paypal enrollment and each one of them with with hundreds of active enrollments.

I want to add an option so that new members can have a discount if they enroll in all courses at once.

I think the solution for this is to create a new meta course, with paypal enrollment (with the discount price). Am I right?

My doubt is:

1- Should I create copies of course A, B, C (without the enrolled users and their data), and then link their copies to the new Metcaourse. So they will enroll themselves after paying a fee and then have access to the new A, B and C courses.

2- I don't need to create copies of courses A, B, C. I simply need to create one metacourse with the paypal enrollment with the new price and link the existing courses to it. If this is the solution, should I set it up to add/create a group to the existing courses?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fernando Souza

Re: Please, help with course structure

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
If Course A, B, C are already child courses, then what you're proposing is the most logical approach.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Fernando Souza -
Sorry, but I didn't get what you said. I'm not proposing anything. I've thought about two ways of doing one thing and I'm asking your help to decide which one is best

As for courses A,B and C being child themes, I don't know if they are. They are the only courses that I have. All of them have manual enrollment with the paypal enrollment enabled. None of them are meta courses.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
It is a long time since i used meta courses, but from what I remember a meta course is most likely not what you need. This is the reason: Participants of a child course gets access to the parent course. So, current participants of A now have access to the new meta course. Same with the current participants of B and C. But a new participant to the parent (meta) course will remain in the parent course. He will not see the child courses, courses A-C.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Fernando Souza -
Let's call the metacourse, course D.

What if course D is the parent course, for A, B, C.

So student would enroll in course D via paypal with the special price and Course D would not have any thing in there rather than links to access courses A, B and C.

Whoever is enrolled in Course A, would remain having access in Course A only, the same for B and C.

Would that work?

Unfortunately it is the other war around: participants of only the parent course, course D, have no access to the child courses, courses A-C. On the other hand, there are no child only participants, say participants limited to course A. They will automatically have access to the parent course, course D. (That is the whole idea of the meta course.)

by Fernando Souza -
Ok... thanks for clarifying.

So what would the solution be? I need students enrolled in Course D to have access to existing courses A-C. Or there is no solution at all?

As I said, it is the other way around: A-C will be meta (parent) courses. D a child course of all three. The caveat: If I remember correctly, you can't just make a normal course a meta course. You need to go through a duplication procedure somewhat similar to what you wrote at the beginning. The difference is that you will make three meta (parent) courses.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying in your original post, I interpreted it as your A, B, C courses were already Meta courses. Before you go any further, this link goes to the Moodle Doc  on Meta Course Links, read that, if you haven't already. 
Visvanath is correct, if your courses A, B and C are ordinary courses, you will have to duplicate the courses as Meta Courses, without User enrollments, then re-enroll the Users in a set of child courses. Once you have done that, you can then create your new child course, D, link it to Parent Courses A, B and C then link it to PayPal and it should all work. You will just have to be explicit in how you advertise your course payment structure. 
For what you are trying to do, this is the safest way, I suggest. The reason I say this is that if a User wants only to enroll in 1 course, you put them into the appropriate child course. If they want to enroll in all courses, then you can enroll them into a fourth course, D. That way, they do not interfere with each other, there is no crossover, all User data is located in whatever the course/s they are enrolled in, and they only have access to the course/s they are enrolled in. The Meta course link Moodle Doc is now clear enough to allow you to do this quickly, but not without some fiddling about.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Fernando Souza -
Thank you for your help. I think it's clear now. I'll try to do it and if I face any issue I'll ask for further help.

All the best!