Can the teacher submit the "timed out" answers for the student?

Can the teacher submit the "timed out" answers for the student?

by Samuli Karevaara -
Number of replies: 4

We have a quiz with a time limit. A student has finished an attempt with all the answers, but did not submit the quiz in time. Therefore it is marked as not submitted. Can this quiz be submitted on the student's behalf?

Also, it seems a bit uneven that if the timer runs out while looking at the quiz, the answers do get submitted, but if you click Finish attempt on the last second but fail to click the submission, then it is considered as not submitted. This is when the "Attempts must be submitted before time expires, or they are not counted" is selected. Even with this setting the attempt is submitted if you are in the quiz form when the timer runs out.

We are using Moodle 3.5.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Re: Can the teacher submit the "timed out" answers for the student?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This has been asked and answered before.

There is no way to do this, but it would be good if there was (MDL-35745 is the closest feature request.) Only reason that has not been done is that no-one has had the time.

Of course, setting the option so that Quiz attempts are always submitted automatically (not just when the student has the attempt open) is also recommended.

The think you comment about about auto-sumbission can be percieved as an inconsistency, or it can be rationalised. Take your pick as to how you choose to think about it.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Samuli Karevaara -
Thanks Tim, and sorry for not finding the previous Q&A for this, I did try multiple searches, i always do. But, also almost always, I find it after the fact.

About the perceived inconsistency: I was thinking of a situation where two users finish the (correct) answers just before the time limit. User A is slower, so the answers get submitted. The User B is faster and clicks Finish attempt but misses the next button. The User B gets no points where the User A gets a perfect score. This does follow the "rules" of the code, but as far as the user experience goes it is agains common logic.
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The 'User B' scanario should not happen like that. Their results should be submitted. Not sure why it fails to work.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Samuli Karevaara -
Ok, I will investigate further.

I thought it is because the Quiz setting Timing > When time expires = "Attempts must be submitted before time expires, or they are not counted". With this setting for the User A the answers will be auto-submitted, but for the User B they will not be. The default setting for this option is more logical, "Open attempts are submitted automatically". I think that with this setting all timed-out attempts are auto-submitted, and just the other option creates the perceived inconsistency. But as I said, I will have to investigate further + maybe test with the latest version too as we are on 3.5.