Moodle 3.4: Quiz activity is completed but the course status does not change

Moodle 3.4: Quiz activity is completed but the course status does not change

by K. C. -
Number of replies: 22
Hi there,

I would appreciate some help with this problem.

I am using Moodle 3.4 and I have a course which consists of 5 SCORM packages, one quiz and a certificate.
According to my criteria, the course should be marked as completed when all of these are marked as completed. Strangely, although the quiz is marked as completed in the report, its icon does not change and in the overall course progress the course looks incomplete. See below my settings and the reports.
I have also added some restrictions but they work correctly: The assessment becomes available after the SCORM packages are complete and the certificate becomes available when the assessment is passed.
I also thought about the cron engine, but in that case the rest of the activities would also be affected. However, as you can see the other activities are marked correctly and they change the course progress percentage.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to K. C.

Re: Moodle 3.4: Quiz activity is completed but the course status does not change

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
There are two scheduled tasks (CRON jobs) for Course Completion.
Completion mark as started and Calculate regular completion data.
Set the frequency for every 1 or 2 minutes. Or select Run now and see if that corrects your issue.
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

Re: Moodle 3.4: Quiz activity is completed but the course status does not change

by K. C. -
Hi Shirley,

Thanks for your reply.

I will try this with our Moodle admin on Monday and I will post an update.

Enjoy your weekend.

by K. C. -
Hi Shirley,

We checked these two cron tasks and they run regularly. Also the Run now, did not fix the problem.
It is very bizarre, because the activity looks complete in the report, but not in the course. It does look like a cron issue, but are there any other relevant settings that we could check?

Thanks,

Kostas
In reply to K. C.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
If so, on the Grader Report are the student's achieving the 27 points to set the quiz activity to complete?

by K. C. -
I believe you mean this one, here are the screenshots:

Since the passing grade is 27, the activity should be marked as complete. Also when I hover over the green tick in the activity report it sayssadCompleted, achieved pass grade)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to K. C.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Interesting. It should be working as expected. Theme issue?

by K. C. -
A theme issue could explain the lack of green tick in the activity tile in the course homepage, but still it could not explain the lack of completion status in the course completion report and percentage. I wonder if there is any other setting that I have not checked.
In reply to K. C.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
The Activity is a quiz that is not manually graded. Correct?
Not an Assignment activity. Correct?

by K. C. -
Hi Shirley,

Yes, it is a quiz. You can also see that in the course completion criteria screenshot above.
In reply to K. C.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What are the completion settings for the quiz and for the course? Can you share screenshots of those?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by K. C. -
Hi Emma,

Thanks for the reply.
I have added screenshots above for both of these, unless you mean something else.
In reply to K. C.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What about your feedback options? Have you released the grade? It could be that Show Marks is set to No and as such the grade has not been released?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by K. C. -
Hi Emma,

I attach you a screenshot of the review options and the overall feedback message that I set.
What do you mean when you say releasing the grade? I thought that the learners will complete the quiz activity if they reach the passing grade. Where can I find the show marks option?

In reply to K. C.

by K. C. -
...and my course grade settings:

In reply to K. C.

by Emma Richardson -
That looks correct...unless you have a end date on the quiz?

by K. C. -
No I don't have an end date on the quiz:

I also tried to change the course completion criteria of a test course, that has the same settings with my course, but there was no change.
Instead of using activity completion criteria, I used the course grade for the course completion. But although, I got the necessary score (3), the course is still not marked as completed:

In reply to K. C.

by Emma Richardson -
So that tells me that it is probably nothing to do with the quiz at all. But could you check your gradebook and make sure that the quiz score is actually in the gradebook? Not the quiz report but actually the gradebook..
Also, go back to your course settings and make sure that you don't have something else checked in there that you overlooked..

by K. C. -
I have a choice on the side which is called Grades, I guess this is what you mean with Gradebook, by the way students do not have access to that section. However it leads me to a page that says Grader report. Is this what you mean?

In reply to K. C.

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Hello KC,
This is the Grader Report, the Gradebook is a setting in the Course Administration pane.

However, the student that is displayed here has a 3.0 score. That is below the Course Completion condition. Did you expect this student to have a course completion?

by K. C. -
Hi Shirley,

Sorry for late reply, I was on holiday.

According to this . you access the Gradebook by clicking on the Grades option on the right side. This is what I did and it seems that the score is recorded there as you can see in the screenshot above. If this is not the case, could you provide detailed instructions on how to access it, because that is the only relevant reference in the Moodle knowledge base.

Regarding the course completion condition, it is 2.00 which is below the  score of the student (3.00), thus the course should be marked as completed.

In reply to K. C.

by Emma Richardson -
Go to Site Admin/Notifications - is there a message there about cron not having run for some period of time? Go to scheduled tasks - find the completion tasks and see when they ran last.

by K. C. -
I checked with our admin and there is no notification in that area. However, there is an issue with the cron engine, it does not run automatically as it should, but even when she is running the tasks manually this does not change the completion percentage.