Whatsapp as Moodle messaging

Whatsapp as Moodle messaging

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 57
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Did anyone ever consider to build in a Whatsapp (business) messenger api?

https://www.whatsapp.com/business/api

We have web - jabber - email - mobile and I know Martin previously said: why not use the Moodle App?

I agree, but the fact is that our students simply don't always install the Moodle App or even check the messages. And I have yet to find a student who does not use Whatsapp.

Whatsapp seems to offer a Business API with which we can automate message sending to whatsapp. This could be useful for tests, schedule changes, appointments, etc. And yes, Moodle App does most of these things but the reach is far less or us. It's not something we like, it's just a fact.

Would anyone be willing to program a Whatsapp message plugin for Moodle?
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: Whatsapp as Moodle messaging

This question has been asked a couple of times:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=223044

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=271408

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=381959

The answer was sometimes 'Whatsapp is a closed system'. Well, it no longer is.

Second answer is: What about Moodle Mobile? Yes, this is good... but what do our students use? 99% uses Whatsapp.

So we are starting a project to develop Whatsapp messaging plugin for Moodle. If anyone is interested, please post here. I will keep you informed.

Average of ratings: Useful (9)

by Stefan Schoch -
Great idea!
Please keep us posted how things are moving forward...
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ken Task -
In reply to Ken Task

I totally agree with that article Ken. I dislike Facebook. But that's not really the point... I can't convince 15k students to switch their main messaging system...

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
That is pathetic. Our teachers walked leading us. I can't imagine where we would be today, if they crawled behind us!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

You are welcome to teach youngster not to use social media. I wish you good luck with that.

Your students are that what you think who they are.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Correct. I think they are adults that make their own decisions. If they want to use Whatsapp, it's their choice. I don't have to be the pedantic wiser that says 'Whatsapp is bad..., mkay?'

by Ken Task -

Of the 15K students ... none are aware of privacy and differences? (bet there are!)

And I shall assume you have actual data that shows 15K students making that 'informed' choice?

Just questions for thought.   Not FUD.

Might still have to offer but with a 'disclaimer'?

CYB!

'SoS', Ken

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Richard, help me understand.

In my Moodle, I disabled messaging because I didn't want students using my Moodle to chit-chat. If they happen to like WhatsApp, they could use it "outside" of my Moodle. In fact, my logic for disabling messaging is that I would prefer them to use whatever system they prefer to use: their gmail, whatsapp, facebook, etc.

So can't your student still use WhatApp for their messaging? I am just trying to get a sense of why you would what Moodle's messaging to be integrated with WhatsApp? What advantages to you see?

(Incidentally, I am not an active WhatsApp user, but I do use it when needed, like right now that I am in Europe. If I use an external messaging system, it is just personal email.)
In reply to Rick Jerz

OK, I see where this is going smile

Look, you have me on your side concerning privacy. You really do. So I'm not going to defend any of that.

But there are two discussions here:

1. Facebook/Whatsapp and privacy
  2. Using a messaging system for Moodle that is used by most students

If a student comes up to me and says: I don't want to use Whatsapp... then bless that student for his/her wisdom.

But now the actual reality: almost all our students have instagram, facebook, whatsapp. They already 'accepted' all the conditions for using it (I must point out that all our students are 18+ which is juridically adult here)

Then the question WHY we would use the most used messenger to reach our students. Students consider Email an old medium for communication.

1. We've noticed that Email is not being read a lot. Some students read this once a week
  2. Not a lot of students install the Moodle app for various reasons, around 20% uses the app
  3. Whatsapp has made it to 99% of the phones of our students.
  4. More and more companies are using Whatsapp to support their customers

Now I need to say that we are not replacing anything. The Whatsapp-messsenger comes as a plugin (like Jabber is still in Moodle). In the notification screen EVERY teacher/student can decide for themselves what messages from Moodle will be send to their Whatsapp account. If they don't want to use it, fine... it's up to them.

We are just adding the option to our Moodle for those who want a Whatsapp message when they use for example the Schedular (appointments) or get a message when a teacher graded their assignment.

And trust me... Students WANT this. They don't want an Email that they read days after it was sent. They want instant messaging in the same messenger they check around 150 times a day...

https://www.inc.com/john-brandon/science-says-this-is-the-reason-millennials-check-their-phones-150-times-per-day.html

So we can have all kind of moral/privacy discussions about this. I say to you, no need. I'm on your side. I even hate mobile phones. I wish they were never invented.

But, probably like you, we also have Moodle student groups that give us feedback on how the system is working. This has given really good insights... like 'we want a night mode with dark colors because we are working in the dark behind our laptops'.

Try asking your students about the idea that they can get a message in their favorite phone message system (Whatsapp, Telegram, ...) for important school stuff like appointments, grades, deadlines, calendar events. Might be that we have exceptional students, but our students want this. Really bad. It's the number one request.

by Rick Jerz -
(Hmmm, students cannot learn to use Moodle's messaging system.)

Most cellphone services have an email address form.  For example, for T-Mobile it is something like 1234561789@tmomail.net.  I actually provide the option for students to give me this form for them, and then I build it into my email list.  There is nothing that prevents students, as far as I know, of using 1234561789@tmomail.net as their Moodle email address.  If they do, then every Moodle message will be "texted" to them.

So, does WhatsApp have an email address equivalent for their customers?  If not, they should.  So this might be a WhatsApp problem to address, not a Moodle problem.

Do you see what I mean?

Yes, I might be missing something because I don't have messaging turned on in my Moodle.  And, I am an old timer that likes email.
In reply to Rick Jerz

Yes, I might be missing something because I don't have messaging turned on in my Moodle.  And, I am an old timer that likes email.

I guess that's the point in this discussion. I like Email as well. And I don't like the tech giants and the way they collect data.

But it's not about what we like. It's about what the students like. And use.

by Ken Task -

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_sms

Supported API's
For Clickatell API: See http://www.clickatell.com
Nexmo API: See https://dashboard.nexmo.com/sign-up
Twilio API: Seehttps://www.twilio.com/try-twilio

Maybe all one needs to do is contact authors and inquire.

Haven't looked into it, but would hope students would have an option to opt out as well.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

I have no idea what you want me to reply to this. Please read my previous posts and try to understand that my goal is to reach our students, not to fight Google, Facebook and Microsoft for violating our privacy.

by Ken Task -

Huh?  Re-read ... visit the block linked.  Said nothing about fighting Google, Facebook, M$.

Not asking you to reply!

Again ...

https://moodle.org/plugins/block_sms

Supported API's
For Clickatell API: See http://www.clickatell.com
Nexmo API: See https://dashboard.nexmo.com/sign-up
Twilio API: Seehttps://www.twilio.com/try-twilio

Maybe all one needs to do is contact authors and inquire.

'SoS', Ken

Outta here!

by Ken Task -

Ok ... I lied ... one more shot for understanding ... and a comment ...

Me thinks Op is suggesting to replace *all* of current Moodle messaging (all of it) with a whatsapp messaging.  No plugin ... no add on to provide alts/additions, but replace it **all** with whatsapp.

If that's the case ... suggestion:  Become a member of Moodle Association @ $1,000,000.00 US.  Use your 1 vote per $ for replacing current Moodle messaging with a WhatsApp. 

Prediction .. if you had the $'s ... nothing would change and your 1 Mil would be appreciated but waisted for what you want.

At best, a Whatapp addition to the addon plugin that exist might be doable.  Best ... because no one has a lock on the future of anything ... since WhatsApp is a California Corp whose to say what will become of it in X years.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Me thinks Op is suggesting to replace *all* of current Moodle messaging (all of it) with a whatsapp messaging

Oh come on Ken, that's not at all what I was saying. Read my posts please.

Please visit your own Moodle: https://yourmoodle/admin/message.php

All we are doing is adding one more plugin for notifications: Whatsapp.

Try to be reasonable here. 

by Rick Jerz -
So let's see if I understand.

You say to students "Read your email" and your students say, "I don't like reading email. I read WhatsApp" and you want to comply.

Then you say "Read the textbook" and students say, "I don't like reading textbooks, I only read (whatever, wikipedia)" and you want to comply.

Then you say "Take the exam" and students say, "I don like to take exams" and you want to comply.

Okay, so who's running the course?

(Actually, I know exactly what you are asking for, and as far as I know, there is no plugin for this. The eventual plugin should allow students to pick any system where they happen to live in. I am just trying to illustrate some issues about what your students are saying, just to stimulate more discussion and ideas.)
In reply to Rick Jerz

I understand your analogy.

I have one as well.

From now on, we start communicating in Latin. Everything. Why? Because students need to know Latin. It's in their curriculum. So they need not to complain about not getting the message. And while we are at it, let's communicate all times and dates in Unix-time. Students need to learn this as well, also part of their curriculum.

Why did we ever switch from snail mail to Email? Why did we ever develop an app? Students need to learn how to use their laptops and spend way to much on their phones.

What I'm saying is: I'm trying to communicate with my students, not trying to teach them a lesson on how to communicate.

I would suggest everybody to read my opening post again. I'm not asking for alternatives on Whatsapp nor trying to educate students in privacy. I'm not forcing them to use Whatsapp, I'm just giving them the opportunity, by their own choice, if they want to receive messages from Moodle on their Whatsapp account.

If you don't like it, you don't have to post here. I simply put the topic here because I know many would like to have a Whatsapp plugin... and I'm informing those people that we are developing one.

'In the spirit of sharing'...
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Kelli Fleming -
I have been asked by my institution to look into incorporating WhatsApp into our Moodle. Thanks for getting started on that. Where can I track how you are doing with this without getting into the larger moral discussion about if we should?
In reply to Kelli Fleming

Not here it seems, sorry. Read the previous responses and you will understand why.
In reply to Kelli Fleming

by Rick Jerz -
Quite honestly, I am still unclear what this "incorporation" is supposed to look like. I believe that Richard had mentioned that it should not replace the internal messaging system. Are you trying to have Moodle, when students make a post to a forum, for example, send the email to students via WhatApp? Or do you simply want a button somewhere in Moodle that when pressed, brings up WhatsApp? I am not saying that this doesn't make any sense, I am just wondering, along with you, exactly what you want to happen? Since I am a bit vague about what you want to happen, this makes me wonder why students can't simply open the desktop WhatApp application and use it side-by-side with Moodle?  For example, I don't use Moodle to email students, I use Mac Mail.  I don't see any need that my Mac Mail to be integrated with Moodle.

Can you mock up a screenshot of where you see WhatsApp being located?

Incidentally, I am not a Moodle programmer nor connected in any way with Moodle HQ. I am simply asking these questions to help everyone understand exactly what you are looking for.
In reply to Rick Jerz

Rick, I posted this above... to repeat myself:

Now I need to say that we are not replacing anything. The Whatsapp-messsenger comes as a plugin (like Jabber is still in Moodle). In the notification screen EVERY teacher/student can decide for themselves what messages from Moodle will be send to their Whatsapp account. If they don't want to use it, fine... it's up to them.

We are just adding the option to our Moodle for those who want a Whatsapp message when they use for example the Schedular (appointments) or get a message when a teacher graded their assignment.

Do you know where the notification screen is? Do you know the Jabber plugin in Moodle? That's where WhatsApp will be.

https://yourmoodle.com/message/notificationpreferences.php?userid=[youruserid]

You will see a column saying 'Web, Email, Mobile'. There's a Jabber plugin that comes standard with Moodle. There's also a Telegram and Slack plugin.

We are doing a Whatsapp plugin. I really don't see the big deal here.

by C Behan -

Hi Richard,

I think this is a great idea. I share your sentiments - it's not ideal but it's reality: young people particularly are not as attached to email as older (30+) people. And adoption of WhatsApp doesn't mean abandonment of the email feature. We have the SMS block that Ken mentioned using Clickatell. I notice that Clickatell do have a Whatsapp service so it's something I will explore at some stage, and will let you know how I get on.

Catherine

I haven't read all the discussions you have linked, but was involved in the third one, the discussion Moodle - Messenger - WhatsApp: Kommunikationswege in German, the OP Christoph Braun, an active Moodle in state education in Germany, talks of _replacing_ WhatsApp (and Dropbox) with Moodle-own tools, because of its data privacy issues!

Ref. https://lernenonline.bildung-rp.de/ section titled Moodle anstelle von WhatsApp und Dropbox .

by Kelli Fleming -
I have a new class of students starting in Feb. Is this going to be ready by then? I might be able to offer some developer time if you think that would help move the completion closer to the end of this year. Let me know.

by Daniel Carceglia -

Hi!

Disculpen que escriba en español, pero no encontré este tema en los grupos de discusión de mi lengua, y necesito implementar urgentemente WhatsApp en Moodle, para que mis estudiantes (el 100% usa WhatsApp) puedan acceder con más herramientas.

Hay alguna novedad del desarrollo?

Gracias

by romano gino -

This plugin would be excellent. It should be an essential part of Moodle. It allows interaction with students direct and naturally. In South and Central America all young people have Whatsapp.  As a teacher, it would be the best way to get the tasks and activities to them.

by Pradeep Fernando -
hi
this is a real cool feature if it is possible to develop the plugin.

by Yehonatan Kedem -

Hello everyone, 

I am happy to inform you that we have developed a new WhatsApp Api plugin for Moodle. 

Our plugin include a dashbaord for the admin to manage the student communication with the students. From the dashboard, admin, course mangers or teachers can send bulk WhatsApp msaaseges to individual students, course gruops and more. 

I invite you to check it in the following link... 

https://moodlms.com/product/whatsapp-moodle-plugins/ 

Hope you'll enjoy... 😀

Attachment Whatsapp-logo2.jpg

by Eliakim Gama -

Olá, esse plugin ajudaria bastante, mas para facilitar não precisa trocar mensagens do moodle via whatsapp, seria necessários apenas que os alunos recebessem a mensagem que foi postada no moodle em seu whatsapp, como se fosse uma notificação apenas, daí eles iriam para o moodle e do moodle eles trocariam mensagem. 

In reply to Eliakim Gama

Olá, Eliakim,

Não irei mais postar o progresso do desenvolvimento do plugin nesta linha. A propósito, esta é uma parte do fórum que fala inglês... Tenha um feliz Natal!

by Edwin Saldaña Chávez -

Hello, my name is Edwin, the idea you have is excellent and I was thinking something like that, the reality that we have in my country is that students, some can access the platform and others cannot, so it would be nice if everyone, either through the platform or whatsapp you can participate in a discussion or converse through moodle messages, if I can help it would be excellent, a hug from peru.

by Konstantin Kanaylov -

If I am getting your idea right, you suggest using WhatsApp as an optional transport for notifications, right?

It would be really great, as for me it's strange that there are still no solutions for that.

It would be also great to integrate telegram - I've met this one, but plugin seems to be abandoned: https://moodle.org/plugins/message_telegram

Notifications via social networks like facebook, vk would also be great.

How is it going at the moment? Is anyone developing the thing?

In reply to Konstantin Kanaylov

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

why not give a try to WidgetWhats.

it wont install as a plug-in into moodle but will give functionality of integrating WhatsApp on your moodle.

In reply to Usman Asar

Re: WidgetWhats

by Konstantin Kanaylov -

Dear Usman Asar, 

Thank you for providing info. 

As for me, I'm seeking rather for possibility of automated notification - for example "new assignment for today - (link to moodle course chapter) - plan 20 minutes for your daily practice" sent to all students. 

WisgetWhats doesn't seem to provide such possibility, only connects human agents with visitors who wrote to chat first. Or am I missing something? 

In reply to Konstantin Kanaylov

Re: WidgetWhats

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I am afraid not, that is why I mentioned it wont install as a plug-in that can integrate fully into moodle, but messaging app on moodle site only.

by Rennzo rojas rupay -

I have the same problem, it would be great to have such a plug

In reply to Rennzo rojas rupay

by Kelli Fleming -

Hey,

So if you search around there was a group working on it. We aren't but I think we "could"...

See if you can send the other group encouragement to keep going with it. 

by Marcelo Schmitt -
Picture of Plugin developers

Richard, let's do it? I am trying to talk to you in private.

In reply to Marcelo Schmitt

by Kelli Fleming -

please please please. And make sure you post when you guys have figured it out. MountainMoot is on right now. Maybe there are people there that are pushing this. However WhatsApp isn't as big a communication tool in the US as it is internationally.  

by Learning 4.0 Tech -

Hi Richard van Iwaarden - I would be very happy for this tool.

And in support of your contribution, I shall also share my opinion on the Telegram - Privacy issue.

How I use Moodle

1. For our homeschooling: Age 8-14
  2. For our community learning groups on permaculture, tinkershops, computer programming, gaming: Age 20-80
  3. For our local readers club (we do more than reading). Age: 60+

User communication habits

All groups use 99% WhatsApp.
50% of the users know Telegram etc. at least for 10 years now.
5% of the users use Telegram casually or for other groups (some political activism).
20% use very different communication tools than those name by privacy sensitive persons: Discord, LoL, Minecraft, etc.

Privacy concerns

I am not sure if there are already some studies about it, but generation Z, millennials, and Alphas have a very different approach to digital privacy. This is mostly born out of their higher sensitivity for offline privacy (which seems to bother very little most of older generations).
I am working in a team on market intelligence, thus privacy is rather a legal than an ethical term for us. We are using most of the data that is captured by Google and Co. and use them for our own investigations, thus, we are quite aware what information can or cannot be analyzed.
When worrying about privacy, we have to understand it always in relation to the ability and capacity of information processing. A further important detail is to understand, that for a certain type "privacy harm" the absence of information is more useful than the knowledge of private data (at least if the victim has a certain level of education). Those who work with CSR (as we do partially) know that any truth is defensible - any! But it is extremely difficult to get rid of bad rumours and false accusations.

This is not to open a discussion. I do not have time for such things. But those who search real solutions may read between the lines.

Why WhatsApp integration is useful

Perhaps, WhatsApp is already coming late for us. Our solution so far was to creat Discord groups (which are easily created and managed) and to add them as a link type activity.
This connects the user with one click.
Further we use the Skype and Zoom integration. Just recently, without any concrete conclusions yet.

If WhatsApp could be integrated and logged real time through Moodle, it would be a really helpful tool.
It could even be used for discussions and similar.

Cons: WhatsApp is not usefull for creating group meetings (at least very limited).
Pros: It is most useful for information distribution of messages and files (because everyone has it always active on mobile).
It is widely used in the business and private field.
It is very lighweight for discussiones, especially continous and casual information exchange thanks to its PC online application (Skype and Zoom are very heavy in comparision).

Please, keep me informed about the progress of this upcoming integration.
A great day to everybody.

by Morgan Jones -

I think this is an awesome idea... we have massive trouble in getting students to respond to emails or using the moodle app, so being able to communicate with students via whatsapp integrated into moodle would be massively helpful.

It is largely agreed that social media, regardless of the data privacy issues have unfortunately become cultural staples in our culture and if individuals chose to use facebook or any other platform, that that is their right! Being able to meet them on those platforms is unfortunately often a compromise we must consider if we are looking to engage.

At the end of the day it is our choice to either keep trying to engage, or encourage our users to make better informed choices, but until then, I vote to engage smile

In reply to Morgan Jones

by Marcelo Schmitt -
Picture of Plugin developers
Morgan, I have developed a plugin to integrate Moodle Forums with Telegram (https://github.com/marceloschmitt/moodle-block_telegram_forum). It is working. I was not able to develop for WhatsApp because their APIs are different and there are commercial issues.

Marcelo
In reply to Marcelo Schmitt

by Morgan Jones -

Hi Marcelo, thank you so much for your reply!
Indeed, I saw that this is the case from reviewing the project tracker and I can see that those issues have led to a dead end and perhaps for good reason. Thank you for trying at least! Telegram is likewise an excellent alternative and in any case pertains to be more data secure than WhatsApp.

We will give it a go and see how we fare!

Thank you and all the other developers who have invested so much time and expertise into projects that benefit the entire moodle community!!!

Kindest regards
Morgan

by Abhi kmr -

I have found one plugin for the Whatsapp integration.

https://github.com/cognizelearning/moodle-message_output_whatsapp

In reply to Abhi kmr

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm reluctant to ask this after last time.... but would you consider changing your profile name? Your name might be misinterpreted.

Other Moodle devs are available wink

Odd that the plugin was added to Github at the same time you posted the message. Are you the dev?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
"Your name might be misinterpreted."
You seem to be doing a lot more mis/interpreting that I can make out?
Integrating with external services is going to become easier in the not so near future, probably around Moodle 4.2
In reply to Marcus Green

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
He has changed his name (thanks Abhi) - it used to be "Moodle Dev"