Whatsapp and Moodle

Whatsapp and Moodle

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could somehow link the Moodle messaging system to Whatsapp? I understand this can't be done, but could you think of alternatives?

I would get course participation way up if the messages from Moodle were deliverde directly on the phones of my students.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: Whatsapp and Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

My children got me into Whatsapp (because it is free on wifi  so they save money on textssmile ) and I use it a lot, so I agree with you. I understand also, from earlier conversations that is it not possible as it is a "closed" system, which is a shame.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jérôme Mouneyrac -

I found this whatsapp api https://github.com/venomous0x/WhatsAPI

You could contact the author to access his private rep (https://github.com/venomous0x/WhatsAPI/issues/991)

Then you could create a whatsapp message provider plugin for Moodle - however such plugin could stop working at any moment following a whatsapp technical decision. Also it's likely that whatsapp is going to detect that a moodle site is sending too many messages and it probably would be interpreted as spam. But all those are hypothesis, you would not know without having a try/deeper look to create a message provider. 

So without looking much it looks possible but it may not be easy (for example how authentication works...)

In reply to Jérôme Mouneyrac

by Mark Andrews -

Hello,

The idea of being able to push content (discussions, resources etc..) out of moodle to a student's phone, tablet, social network would be really fantastic.

If I read correctly the mobile app will soon handle forum discussions. Really hope the UX for this will be slick and aid quick responding and efficient reading and off course push notifications. 

Regarding pushing content to social networks, I see that both yammer and facebook use the open graph API (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/opengraph/overview) I wonder how hard it would be to create something with the message API that would allow content to be pushed to users on there social networks.

I guess using an open standard will lessen the risk of organisations simply turning it off.

Regards

Mark

by Enrique Robredo -
pre.cjk { font-family: "Droid Sans",monospace; }p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }a:link { }
Telegram is a good alternative. They have official API and seems more reliable in terms of safety. It also allows sharing files and managing messages through its website, not only from a mobile devices.

by Corey Wallis -

I'd have to disagree, or at least advise caution. 

Sending messages from the LMS to a students social network can backfire, and it needs to be handled carefully. 

Anyone considering something like this needs to take into account why the students are using the social network, whether it be Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter, Ello, whatever. 

If the users aren't receptive to messages coming from their lecturer, teacher or institution, then at best they will ignore it. At worst they'll be upset and be less inclined to engage with you. 

My point is that while it may be very easy to do, or in the case of Whatsapp difficult to do, the needs and receptiveness of the students using the social network need to be taken into account. 

It isn't that dissimilar to "brands" trying to engage users on social media. When was the last time you were receptive to an advertisement appearing in your twitter stream?

Just a thought

In reply to Corey Wallis

Oh, I would give the students the right to opt-out. It's just that they don't have the option to opt in.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

We already have an app that handles Moodle messages.  Sure, it could be slicker, we know. 

If we made it work AS WELL as Telegram or Whatsapp or iMessage, would you and your students use it a lot?

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

What about a dedicated moodle messaging app? The way Facebook Messenger is a separate one (so they have fewer taps to get to it).

Ideally without all the security concerns people have with FBM.

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

I think they would!

by timo fonic -

Hello.

I think Telegram integration would be amazing.

Regards

In reply to timo fonic

by Israel Buitron -

Hi everybody!

I prefer Telegram integration!
Because of Telegram open api, I think could be quite easy to build a plugin.
Whatsapp is not open.

Regards