Assigning different weight to each question of a quiz

Assigning different weight to each question of a quiz

by Beatriz Rojo -
Number of replies: 4

Hi there,

I'm using Moodle 3.5. I've browsed for this topic in the Quiz Forum and I found two discussions that addressed this aspect but the answers were not quite satisfactory to me (here and here).

I'd like to set a quiz where some questions (question type is unimportant) have a greater weight than others. Thus, if an "important" question is answered wrongly, the student would need more effort to get the 3 points for this question, i.e. he or she would need to answer correctly three additional questions. I came up with two implementation methods:

1. My first idea was to make it easy and manage it with the score that is set for each question while building the quiz, but I'm not sure this would reflect this requirement.
  2. My second alternative is to use categories with "important" and "basic" questions, but I don't know how to implement it.
Is this possible? Am I complicating things or missing something?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Re: Assigning different weight to each question of a quiz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think your 1) is correct.

I think you shoudl try building a quiz like that, and test it to see if that work the way you want. If not, get back to us with more questions.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hello Tim,
this works, but it's not 100% satisfactory. A workaround would be that, if a student has not got the passing score, he or she can "demand" more questions within the same attempt. The idea behind this is mirroring a face-to-face individual oral exam, where the teacher has some additional questions to allow a student to pass the exam in case he or she didn't answer the "official" ones quite correctly.
I'm also trying the alternatives explained in this thread. And, of course, building a second attempt that bases on the previous one.
Thanks for your help!
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Beatriz,

The following example is taken from MoodleFormulas.org ↗ :

An "official" question counts for 4 points.The following three possibilities are considered:

• If the student's score is greater than or equal to 3 (75 %), the quiz is passed and the attempt can be completed immediately. The final score remains as it is.
  • If the student gets less than 2 (50 %), he/she fails the quiz. The final score remains as it is. The student must continue his studies and may try again later.
  • If the score is between 2 and 3 (between 50 % and 75 %), a catch-up question is presented to the student. If the student fails the catch-up question, the final score remains unchanged. If the student passes the catch-up question, the final grade is set to 3 (75%).

The above can easily be done using simple javascripts in the official question. See the official-question settings below.

Since the marks must be adjusted, they are hidden during and after the attempt, with the exception of the mark for the official question. In order to easily adjust the total score for the quiz, the catch-up question is marked on 6, for a round figure temporary total of 10. The final grade of the quiz is displayed by a grade item in the gradebook, with a formula that multiplies the temporary score by 2.5 if it is less than 4 and sets it to 7.5 otherwise:

Calculation = if(quiz_id<=4,quiz_id*2.5,7.5)
Official-question settingsFormulas_20190913_1604.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Beatriz Rojo -
Wow, thanks a lot, Dominique! This would be an option. In the meantime, I have decided to use a lesson, but I'll definitely try what you suggest.
Best,