Re-do missed questions instead of entire quiz

Re-do missed questions instead of entire quiz

by Whitney Lowe -
Number of replies: 8

We have a number of quizzes in our courses that require students to achieve a particular grade. We constantly get feedback that if they don't get a passing score, they would like to be able to just re-do the questions that they missed and not the whole quiz. Does anyone know of a way that could be done?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Whitney Lowe

Re: Re-do missed questions instead of entire quiz

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
No, Whitney, no ideas.

But this does make me wonder. If a student can go back in and re-do questions (like multiple-choice, true/false), doesn't this mean that the student should always be able to get 100%? And if so, is a quiz really needed? Of course, I must be missing something.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Whitney Lowe -
Hi Rick:
Yes, they should eventually be able to get 100%. This is really a formative learning activity and its purpose is not really to test mastery of knowledge, but to refine it with feedback on the quiz questions. From a learning theory perspective, I don't think it is so bad to go back through the whole thing again because the repetition does strengthen the cognitive relationships with the material. Just looking for ways to improve the user experience.

Thanks for the input.
In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I like repetitive attempts too, for the exact reason that you described. (I also don't like to give students the answers. Answers can be found by students carefully reading the textbook. When students present their logic for getting something wrong, then I don't mind providing support for the answers.)

The technique where students are able to redo just the questions that they missed seems more appropriate when the instructor is manually grading quizzes. I prefer to have Moodle grade as much as possible.
In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
You could use the following options for your formative quizzes.

Options in formative quizzes

Every time a student fails a question, he can just press a button "Try another question like this one" to have another attempt at the same question. 

In reply to Matthias Giger

by Whitney Lowe -

Hi Matthias:
This sounds like a good option. Do you think it is confusing for the students to have the instruction of "Try another question like this one" when they are really trying to do the same question over again?

In reply to Whitney Lowe

by Matthias Giger -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I mostly use this function in conjunction with Formulas questions which use variables to generate different numbers in mathematical questions. So in fact for my students - at least most of the time - the question is actually a new one.

I also use this function in vocabulary training with random questions.

When you use static questions it is probably a good idea to tell the students about the functionality and how it works, I normally do that on the introductory page of a quiz.

In reply to Matthias Giger

by Susan Fleming -
I like the suggestion made about the question settings for the type of situation described here, but was interested in this because we get a few students every semester who get bumped out of quizzes due to internet connectivity issues. We currently allow an additional, shorter attempt that builds on the previous, but run into problems when the quiz shuffles questions and/or pulls them randomly or when the student is flustered and can't remember which questions have been completed. Being able to provide an additional attempt that only shows the incomplete questions would be fabulous if there is an option; if not, maybe something to consider for future versions of Moodle smile