Bulk exporting quiz results from multiple courses

Bulk exporting quiz results from multiple courses

by Miles Muri -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

I have inherited the job of compiling stats from a series of quizzes that we have hosted on Moodle 3.0. Each quiz is contained in a course which only has that one quiz in it, and each course is associated with a school location. In practice, that means we will have a few courses for any one common exam. All of these courses are in one category, so they are distinguishable from courses that have learning content as opposed to exam (quiz) content.

Currently, what has been done to get the stats is to go into each course (we have about 70 in total) and 8 clicks or so later, download the excel spreadsheet for that course. Once the excel sheets are downloaded, we have to massage them into a more or less useable format. Our need is to be able to pull Moodle quiz data and integrate it with paper exam data. At this point, we can't do advanced stats on anything that comes out of Moodle.

I have two goals here: 

1) Bulk export from all the courses at once instead of doing 70 odd excel downloads with multiple RSI inducing clicks each.

2) Export the actual quiz responses i.e. A, B, C, or D for multiple choice questions, actual decimal values for numeric responses etc., so that I can run it through my stats program (which currently plays well with my paper exam data). Right now, Moodle wants to export just scores 1 or 0 in the export. With about 20 clicks I can get to a replay of an individual student's exam, but Moodle doesn't exactly report A,B,C or D responses. And I would have to do this for 70 exams, multiple student each exam ad nauseum.

Has anybody done anything like this that might allow me to get the quality info I need out of Moodle? Strategies to suggest?

Thanks,

Miles Muri

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miles Muri

Re: Bulk exporting quiz results from multiple courses

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can download the acutal responses as well as the grades. Under quiz admin -> Results, there are several options. Grades is one, Responses is another. (And I guess from what you say that you are not interested in Moodle's built in Statistics report.)

Of cousre, downloading stuff from the web can be scripted (using tools like wget or curl etc.) If you know any scripting language, that might be an easy option.

Alternatively, if you know any SQL, you might be able to pull all the data you want directly from the Moodle database. This SQL query might give you a starting point: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Overview_of_the_Moodle_question_engine#Detailed_data_about_an_attempt