Quiz

Wrong Questions Appearing in Quiz for Some Users

Joseph & Jessica Cotten
Wrong Questions Appearing in Quiz for Some Users

Moodle 3.5+ (Build: 20180607). php 7.1.22. Databasemariadb (5.5.5-10.2.17-MariaDB). All Environment > Server Checks are shown as OK. Hosted on a managed dedicated server with Rochen. Cron is verified to be running as expected. Caches have been cleared. DB has been repaired and optimized. Users have cleared local browser cache and issue persists. Site runs under https.

Course was built under Moodle 3.3 I think. Possible 3.4 or 3.2. It was upgraded to 3.5+ a few months ago.

The Problem: in Quiz assignments, some users are seeing questions from other Quizzes. I cannot verify that it is tied to any specific user or role/permission set. Sometimes it seems like it might be a cache issue, but I can't verify that.

Example: a user goes to a Quiz in week 1 and it work as expected. Next week, they go to a Quiz in week 2 and see the questions from week 1's quiz. When I log in as them, though, I see the correct questions. We have rebuilt a quiz and the issue persists.

Any ideas as to why the wrong questions would be showing up in Quizzes? Have I misconfigured the Quizzes or is the Question Bank somehow shuffling questions around the course unbidden?

Average of ratings: -
Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Wrong Questions Appearing in Quiz for Some Users
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Please tell us how the quizzes are set up (e.g. screen-grab of the Edit quiz page).

That is much more likely to be relevant than details of the server set-up.

By far the most likely explanation at this stage is that it is a quiz set-up issue.

Joseph & Jessica Cotten

See attached.

Joseph & Jessica Cotten

Here's the next week's quiz and a detailed screenshot of one question's setup.

Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

So, the two quizzes have the same questions in them, right? That is what you set up, so that is what you got. What were you expecting?

Joseph & Jessica Cotten

Ah, no, that's what's fascinating. The two quizzes have different questions in them, but depending on which user is logged in, you may see questions from the older quiz.

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

So have you actually seen this happen?  Where are the users connecting from?  Are you positive they are not just clicking on the wrong link?

Joseph & Jessica Cotten

Yes, I have seen it happen. One of the quizzes that we manually edited to have the correct questions now shows questions from the previous week's Quiz.

Users are connecting from both our local office and from around the U.S.

I am guessing that you made the second quiz by clicking 'Duplicate' on the first quiz.

Then you started editing the questions in the second quiz, without realising that after you have duplicated a quiz, you have two quizzes both poniting to the same set of questions in the question bank. Therefore, editing any of those questions affects both quizzes.

(There is another recent thread in this forum about this issue, because it is a nasty usability gotcha.)

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Except that he said it is only happening for some users and when they log in as that user, they see the correct questions...that would probably be more of a cache issue maybe?  Have you actually tried deleting the cache and localcache folders from the moodleDATA folder?

Joseph & Jessica Cotten

I think you both are on to something.

Tim, we did indeed create the quizzes by duplication. That explains why in my mind, I keep thinking that the Question Bank has something to do with this, but you've helped me make that mental connection.

Emma, I have not manually deleted the cache. I have used Moodle's clear cache menu command, but doing a manual cache clear is an excellent idea.

I'm going to clear the cache now and build one of the quizzes from scratch to see if that fixes things.

Thank you both!

Joseph & Jessica Cotten

Sadly, I'm not sure if this is fixing the whole problem.

We have a quiz wherein some users see all 5 multiple choice questions, and others only see the first four questions. This is the second quiz where this behavior has been seen.

I'm attaching two screenshots of two students in the course. One shows all 5 questions, the other only shows 4.

Any ideas?

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Joeseph,

Did you actually mean to say that one multiple choice question is showing 5 answers and the other is only showing 4 answers?

Did someone edit the question after some students had stared their attempts? If so, that would explain it.

(Quiz reports show the start time of each attempt. Question bank shows last edit time of each question.)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)