Manager only see what he creates

Manager only see what he creates

by Kehinde Adeoya -
Number of replies: 8

On the platform created, I'll have multiple managers. Let's say Manager-1, Manager-2, Manager-3. I want each manager to be able to see only the things they did. If Manager-1 creates a COHORT-1, CATEGORY-1, STUDENT-1, COURSE-1, it should only see it. Other Managers should not see it. What's the config setting in Moodle to achieve this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kehinde Adeoya

Re: Manager only see what he creates

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That's not what a Manager does. It's really only slightly less powerful than an Administrator - they can see everything. 

You might get round this by organising your courses differently. 

If you create a Course Category and then assign someone as a Manager *just* to that course category, they can only create/edit/view courses within that Category.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Kehinde Adeoya -

Thanks, @Howard, I earnestly appreciate your answer. As it is I'm just starting anew to learn Moodle. I've left it a long time ago. Could you please give a bit of a description of how to get this done? I have created a category, which represents a School, I created a user for which I assigned a custom role called Management. The only ticked value for this role is "Context types where this role may be assigned", which is Category.

I have tried to check how to apply this role to this unique category, the only option is the cohort. Please, could you kindly point me to how and where to get this done in Moodle? Thanks. God bless.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You're trying to make it too hard. 

From the Course Category page, click the 'Settings cog' towards the top right and select 'Assign roles'

by Kehinde Adeoya -

@Howard. Thanks. got it working by your advice and reading up on this thread. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=325615#p1308746. It works fine as I wanted now with a clause. I used the manager role as John Provasnik suggested, which is what I'd wanted. My concern now is that the Managers created do not have privileges to create users, cohort, etc. What permutations of roles and permissions should I use for the user to be able to do create these on his dashboard? I can see that this user with manager role can create more courses on its own, which is good. Other than that it can't create any other things again.

by Howard Miller -

What I would do is to create a new role with JUST the rights to create users and cohorts (and whatever else you need). Then assign that to your users at Site level. So they end up with a "user creator" role at site level and a Manager role only in their own category.

by Kehinde Adeoya -

Thanks, @Howard. I tried to follow as you suggested but still not seeing the SITE ADMINISTRATION link to create a new user. After digging online I found this tutorial as well https://blog.howtomoodle.com/blog/moodle-tip-need-role-create-user-accounts-moodle-site . I'm still not seeing it.  I think the missing link could be not fully understanding what you mean by "AT SITE LEVEL". Please, consider me a newbie, can you give a detailed way to get this done. Maybe a step by step approach. Thanks. appreciate.

by Howard Miller -

PLEASE... don't start several other threads on what was the same subject or very closely related to it. 

It just messes up your replies.

by Howard Miller -

I've never done it, so I'd need to try it. 

It might hinge on what capability must be provided to make the admin menu appear. 

You have to realise that you are trying to make Moodle do something it was not really intended to do so you may have to do some experimenting. Unfortunately, it may never work as you want.