Being able to create a category that has courses for one client that other clients should not see is important feature. The Following steps will allow you to restrict categories via the hidden categories options.
Steps for restricting access to categories per user…
1) Go to : Site Administrator > Users > Permissions > Define Roles
2) Select “Add a New Role”
a. Choose role student
b. Name new student role based on organization
c. Make no changes as of yet except allow context use in all areas
3) Create New Category and hide it
4) Manage New Category “Permissions”
a. Assign newly created role to new category and allow hidden categories to be seen
b. Save overwrite changes
5) Manage New Category “Assign Roles”
a. Choose newly created role again
b. Assign Users you want to be able to have access to this New category.
1) Must individually add each user under Assign role for that category.
2) No way to assign role this way under cohort, which would be perfect...wink wink
Other Moodle Users... IF you have discovered a better way or a way to improve upon this... share!