Developing e-learning platform

Developing e-learning platform

by Steph Doehler -
Number of replies: 10

Hi everyone,

I want to develop some e-learning using SCORM and then embed into Moodle (I hope I have worded this correctly!).

I'd like to e-learning module(s) to be interactive and fun for the learners. Does anyone recommend any particular platform which can then be exported to Moodle?

So far the best I've come across is Easygenerator. I've found Nimble too but not sure if that can be exported.

Many thanks for your help

Steph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steph Doehler

Re: Developing e-learning platform

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Its not SCORM, but I'd highly recommend taking a look at what H5P can do in Moodle.

You can look at H5P separately on their own website (it can also be embedded into WP/Drupal and others) and works really well in Moodle, whether you create the resources externally and embed them, or create them within Moodle.

https://h5p.org/

https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_hvp

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

H5P comes with the additional benefit of being free of financial cost, but that is not even remotely its best feature smile

In reply to Marcus Green

by Steph Doehler -

Thanks guys - H5P is what I’ve used already and it doesn’t really give the functionality that I’m looking for unfortunately. 

by Richard Oelmann -

You may need to be a bit more specific about the functionality you're looking for then.

So far we've got 'interactive and fun for the learners' - which you can do with core Moodle anyway, throw in a few plugins to increase the gamification, HotPotato quizes, Games, H5P and crucially some good learning design and you can create many fun, interactive lessons, irrespective of the tool used.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I think HotPotatoes is dead.  I went looking a few weeks ago and the developers don't maintain it at all...last anything was said about it was more than 3 years ago--unless they new version has a new name (there was some discussion about a version...7? But it seemed to just disappear...).

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Richard Oelmann -

Thanks Melanie, Looks like you are right about Hot Potato. Shame, I quite liked it when I was still teaching Primary School smile

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Back in the day, eXe was pretty okay and open source.  I've heard it was picked back up for support a couple years back but didn't really follow it. 

I've used Captivate, Camtasia and Lectora to develop SCORM--they are all authoring tools (though Camtasia is very video focused) that work relatively well.  I'd recommend Lecotra above the other two but they all cost--and Lectora is the most expensive (also the most flexible--but it requires your brain be flexible, too).  Some people really like Articulate products (I've never used their products but their community is amazing).  Articulate is less expensive than Lectora and maybe (these days) Captivate, but likely more expensive than Camtasia.  Camtasia is often an add of for other authoring products (I got it with both Captivate and Lectora).  That's SCORM authoring.

Have you looked at the Lesson module?  It is quite powerful.  You can do so many interactive things with it.  It is not especially pretty but VERY functional.  That's the only SCORM selling point, in my book--they can be very pretty.  Both Lesson and SCORM have crummy reporting.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)