General developer forum

Assignment module additional function

Picture of Jan Zubr
Assignment module additional function

Hi everyone,

I'm new developer to moodle so I have zero to little experience.

I want to create plugin which will take student's assignment submission, uploads it into evaluation system (some other server), reads output, returns output as feedback in assignment and grades assignment.

I found several options how to do this so far:

1. Creating own Activity module from scratch - a long and complicated way as default Assignment module is 90% of what I need.

2. Duplication and modification of Assignment module - probably easier than option 1 but still dirty work with lot of heavy lifting

3. Local plugin - Probably the correct way. I will describe my idea and correct me if I'm wrong please. smile

Let's call this plugin as EE-plugin (External Evaluation). EE-plugin will have instances. Each instance will be bound to instance of Assignment module. On submission there is event sent by Assignment/Submission into the moodle with some information. EE-plugin is listener for such events. EE-plugin gets event and does it's thing mentioned earlier.

Use-case: Teacher creates Assignment. Teacher attaches EE-plugin (creates instance of EE-plugin) to specific Assignment.

I think option 3 is the way to go. EE-plugin will have to have simple UI, use Event API. However I have no idea where to start. Is there any resource that handles similar thing? From dev doc, local plugin description suits my use case exactly. Any suggestions, help and tips welcomed.

Thank you all-

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Andrew Nicols
Re: Assignment module additional function
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Jan,

I'd recommend option 4 -- create a new assign feedback plugin which has an event listener to send the submitted assignment to the remote source, and is responsible for fetching it back again.

Andrew

Picture of Jan Zubr

Thank you. I guess this is what i need to follow then.

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

It sounds like you want to develop something like a plagiarism checking plugin. Perhaps https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Plagiarism_API would help???