Cohort, Groupings and Groups

Cohort, Groupings and Groups

by Andrew Scholtz -
Number of replies: 1

So I have spent more than a day trying to find a solution to my situation - which I think involves Cohorts, Groupings and Groups. Unfortunately I cannot find anything that deals with my specific situation and I cannot think of a work-around. I am using Moodle 3.4.2+.

I have a course (digital literacy) which is delivered from 10 different sites by 10 different facilitators. Each course runs for 2 weeks and each site accommodates 15 participants.

Assessment of the assignments submitted by each participant is done centrally by one individual (the assessor). Assignments submitted by the participants include both individual assignments and group assignments. The assignment groups groups are site based, each consisting of 3 participants, i.e. 5 assignment groups per site.

The individual doing the assessment (the assessor) needs to assess participants per site and assesses both individual and group work.

My challenge is that I see no way of grouping participants per site, who themselves then need to be grouped into group-assignment groups in such a way that the assessor can go to the Gradebook and assess all the site participants from that site.

As I see it, Gradebook only  accommodates one way of selecting participants to grade and I, therefore could not, for example, create Groupings (or a Cohort) to separate participants per site and then create Groups within these Groupings for group assignment submission, since the assessor would not be able to assess per Grouping in Gradebook.

The alternative would be to create one course per site per course cohort, which would mean 10 sites x 2 (two groups per month) x 12 (months of the year) which would be 240 separate courses - which I think would be unmanageable.

Unless, of course, I have missed something - and I am hoping some clever and experienced Moodler can point me in the right direction.

Andy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Scholtz

Re: Cohort, Groupings and Groups

by C Behan -

Hi Andy,

When you say 'site', in Moodle terms is this a group which is made up of people based in the same location?

Or are you talking about different Moodle sites?  

I think you mean the former, so I'll go with that assumption for this reply. 

A few things to be aware of: 

1. Groupings are groups of groups. 
  2. Users can be members of several groups.
  3. Groups can be members of several groupings.

So I think this is how you set it up:

• 1 Grouping called Locations. This Grouping contains the groups called Belfast, Paris, Prague. Students are added to these groups.
  • Then you have a Grouping called Belfast. This grouping contains the groups Belfast A, Belfast B, Belfast C, Belfast D, Belfast E. Students are added to these groups accordingly.
  • Similarly, create groupings called Prague and Paris, put their respective groups in them, and put the students in to the groups.
  • Now create your last Grouping. This Grouping is called Assignments. Put all of your Belfast A-E, Prague A-E, Paris A-E groups in to this grouping.

Use the Assignments grouping for the group assignment.