Missing files on Moodledata

Missing files on Moodledata

by JC Dodo -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I got this error message below when grading the user.

Can not read file, either file does not exist or there are permission problems

More information about this error

Debug info: [dataroot]/filedir/75/8e/8001188526048445b80af464c1079577
Error code: storedfilecannotread

Upon checking that file on Moodledata is not exist. That filename has equivalent value of "Assessment 1 Workbook - Good Habit.pw.docx" when checking the hash file to database. It was uploaded on January 11 and latest modified on January 30 based from the timestamp.

When I checked report logs, I don't see any delete actions happening on that date January 11 and January 30 but most of the logs actions are just draft submission, and view.

The moodle version is 2.5.2+.

I would appreciate if any one could share some advise.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to JC Dodo

Re: Missing files on Moodledata

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

OK, a few things...

1) I am familiar with this kind of workbook, and I have always, well since about Acrobat Pro v3 or 4 or some such, converted such workbooks to PDF and added test fields for students to just fill in and resubmit. (Before that, I would write them using TeX as questionnaires, asking students to respond as an Assignment, mostly with word, or occasionally an online assignment response.) I have found that Word files become corrupted or go missing, much to everyone's inconvenience and annoyance. 

2) You say 'report longs' but which logs? Moodles? PHP Logs? Server logs? Can someone with server access delete the file thinking they were replacing it? Working directly with the files in the moodledata directory doesn't work, so could they think they were reasonably changing files and ended up just deleting the existing file? What changed? 

3) Your version of Moodle... ermmmmm, seriously, v2.5.2? Have you considered an upgrade policy? I only do it once per year, and that seems to be enough to keep my clients happy.    

In reply to JC Dodo

Re: Missing files on Moodledata

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

First, old version of Moodle.   Somewhere around 2.7.x there were some fixes for files in Moodle - promised no more data loss (If I re-call, had to do with loosing files in filedir).   If you have a bug there, no fixes forth coming.

If student was removed from the course or that account no longer exist, then that might explain ... but ...

/filedir/75/8e/8001188526048445b80af464c1079577

means that file (8001188526048445b80af464c1079577) should be in moodledata/filedir/75/8e/ is it?

Also strange ... usually Moodle uses the /75/8e/ directories as the first 4 characters in any file in 8e.

The meta data shows 8001.....

Normally, that would be 758e188526048445b80af464c1079577 ... so something is messed up either in the metadata mdl_files or the actual files themselves.

What's in moodledata/filedir/80/01/ ?

What's in moodledata/filedir/75/8e/ ?

If you could install moosh, it has a command that seeks out orphaned files ... as well as one that shows the metadata in mdl_files is messed up ... no correponding file physicially in filedir/XX/XX/whatever.

What to do to fix it?   You might not be able to. :\

'spirit of sharing', Ken