Using Choice to allow students to select self-paced or scheduled study

Using Choice to allow students to select self-paced or scheduled study

by Jo Sibley -
Number of replies: 4

In a recent Moodle Basics MOOC, participants were given a Choice before starting the course whether they wanted to have access to all the resources at once or whether they wanted to have access on a weekly schedule, which was supported with live sessions. I'd like to build something similar for our teacher professional development platform. 

Please can someone explain how this is structured? 

I am still a beginner! Thanks. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jo Sibley

Re: Using Choice to allow students to select self-paced or scheduled study

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jo,

Firstly we used a group choice activity which put students into groups according to their choice. Group choice is not included in standard Moodle but is available from the Moodle plugins directory: Activities: Group choice.

We then set various access restrictions for each weekly section. For example, here's how a teacher sees week 2:

In addition to activity completion and date restrictions, the screenshot also shows that students must be in the 'All at once' group to be able to access the section before 15 January 2018.

It does take a bit of thought to set up all the access restrictions. wink It's a good plan to have a test student account to be able to log in and check that you see the right items! We allowed users to change their minds in the group choice activity (Allow choice to be updated), thus it was easy to test both the options.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Jo Sibley -

Hi Helen, 

Thank you so much for this helpful response - it's quite different from my guesses at the possible structure and much more achievable than what I'd feared we'd need to do! 

Thank you so much for your time, it's really appreciated. 

Jo

In reply to Jo Sibley

by David Morrow -

Jo,

If your Moodle does not have the Group Choice plugin in place (and you aren’t the admin, or your admin or provider won’t install it), you could use groups and group enrollment keys to come close to the same effect. You would have to communicate the keys to the teachers before they enrolled - maybe in the course description.

That said, Group Choice is a great addition to any Moodle and it is worth pursuing having it installed.

David

In reply to David Morrow

by Jo Sibley -

Thanks, David - that's useful smile 

There's such a lot of good stuff here in Moodle: like a huge treasure house to explore, so it's great when folks signpost things like this - thank you!