Save messages between students and teachers

Save messages between students and teachers

by Javier Tejera -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, I am the administrator of a social program and I need to check messages between different roles (students-students and students-teacher). Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Javier Tejera

Re: Save messages between students and teachers

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

It is, but it is handy if you let us know which version of Moodle you are using. As of v3.4 the Messages block has been removed, it has been replaced by the theme integrated messaging system. You can still turn it off via the  Site Admin > Advanced Features page, click the default to OFF, but if it is being run then likely turning it off wont help. 

There used to be a standard report, but I couldn't find it, no idea where it is now. Using phpMyAdmin or similar you could search the database quite easily. Use the [prefix]_messages table and then build an SQL query to suit your need. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Javier Tejera -

Hi Colin, thanks for your help.

It is 3.4. 

I was wondering if there is actually a more simple way to have the reports instead of phpMyAdmin. The idea is that a teacher or manager role can check these conversations by themselves, not depending on the IT team.

Therefore, if there is not another option, I suppose the IT team will create reports of the messages in a monthly basis and the program managers will check them regularly.

In reply to Javier Tejera

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Well, you could if you wanted to, but that, to me, seems extra work. Unless there is a complaint, is it really necessary to check regularly? Alternatively, a cron job set to run the SQL automatically would be a better option, I suspect. Set the cron to, say, run on the 25th of each month to collect data from 25th of the previous month to to the 24th of the current month. How that could be done.... no idea on establishing the date math in an SQL string. 

I would agree there should be a simpler way, say an ad hoc report or perhaps a report generator plugin of some description, which would be better. Perhaps there is one in plugins, maybe.