Using Q&A Forum

Using Q&A Forum

by Hannah Tyreman -
Number of replies: 6

Hello!

I've created a Moodle forum to serve as an assessment for our students. 

I chose this forum as I want participants to write their own response before being influenced too much by other students' posts. 

In 'Activity Completion', I'm wondering how the following will work- I want it to automatically mark the student as complete if they've replied to my question and to 2 other participants' posts. So 3 replies in total...

Will these settings (in the image below) cover that (as they're not actually posting a discussion as they would in another forum)... or do I need to set the number of replies to 3 instead?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Hannah Tyreman

Re: Using Q&A Forum

by Dave Emsley -

Looks right to me.

Dave

In reply to Dave Emsley

by Hannah Tyreman -

Thanks very much Dave!

I'm a bit of a beginner with the tool and because students would be responding to me and not starting their own discussion, I wasn't sure... Sometimes the language on Moodle is odd/misleading. 

by Kim Salinas -
Picture of Testers

Hi Hannah

You may need to experiment with this a bit. I am pretty sure a student cannot create a discussion (start a new thread) in a Q & A forum. They only have the option to reply to the thread the teacher posts. If this is the case, you would want to change your settings to 3 on the replies and uncheck the create discussion box.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Kim Salinas

by Ed Beck -

Hannah,

I'm pretty positive that Kim is right.

Ed

by Joséphine Misson -

Hi Hannah, 

I was wondering, if I get what you are saying, you'd like to create a way to asses your students while they are not influenced by other students responses right? 

Have you ever thought of using an a online voting system ? In this sense you would be able to ask your students different types of questions (essays, open questions, multiple choice questions, numerical questions,...) and they would be able to answer to these question in a given time or at they own pace. The polling system offered by Wooclap is super awesome and easy to use for that! The students even have a chat to ask you questions! And they wouldn't be influenced by other student's responses. 

What's more, you can even download questionnaires or list of questions from Moodle into Wooclap and vice versa! 

Or solution also integrate your day to day tools that you use for class presentation such as pdf, powerpoint, keynotes, google slides,... 

Check it out it might interest you!