Roles in Enroll course not working well, How to reset all default roles?

Roles in Enroll course not working well, How to reset all default roles?

by Narit B -
Number of replies: 1

Hi

I'm using Moodle 3.3 on NAS QNAP.

I have some issue when I enroll users (Course creator or Manager) in the course but the role not working based on their role

Note: In the picture I can observe that no delete icon showing    

Thank you

Attachment Role not working.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Narit B

Re: Roles in Enroll course not working well, How to reset all default roles?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Rule on Roles: (my rules that I have always implemented. 

1. Only Site Admins are assigned this Role at Site Level. NO OTHER USER is given a Role here except for default "Authenticated User" Role. 

Addendum: Staff Members can be given a variation of the Authenticated User Role but allowing them to see hidden files. DO NOT use any other Role as the template for this Role, DO NOT allow any other Capability ONLY "View Hidden Files".  

2. Course Creators and Managers are assigned Roles at Category or Sub-Category Level. 

3. Teachers, Non-Editing Teachers and Students given Roles at Course level. 

4. Guests are never allowed access to any course not set on the Front Page for Guests to access.

5. All other Roles, e.g. Mentor or Parent are assigned at Course Level ONLY

I have always used this guide and it has never failed me. The only time I have had Role issues is when someone else has set Roles at the Site Level. 

I suspect your Course Creator Role is set at Site Level which is why there is no Delete icon. Course Creators should not be able to access courses they create, unless they enrol themselves as Teacher, never as Student. Course Creators should ALWAYS enroll someone as a Teacher then leave that course and not return as Course Creator. I know that is a pain, occasionally, but the Teacher has more editing capabilities than a Course Creator, (from memory so may not be correct). If you want your Manager to act as a Course Creator, then  make sure they have all the required permissions. No one should be enrolled in a course as Course Creator, so check your Roles in Site Admin > Users > Permissions > Define Roles and Allow Role Assignments. This is what mine looks like: 

Allow Role Assignments  

No one below the Role of Teacher can assign Roles. 

There is, occasionally, an issue with Teachers not being able to assign a Teacher's Role to someone else, but this is easily worked around by discussion with the Manager or an Admin.