Roles, Permissions and Groups

Roles, Permissions and Groups

by Skeeter Harris -
Number of replies: 6

Hello and here is what I need to accomplish:

I have students that all work for different companies so first and foremost, a student taking a class should not see other participants in the class and I've been able to turn off participants view through one of the plugins.

I have groups of users who have different capabilities and can only take certain classes where other students can take all classes, and then I have other groups that can take a category of classes but not other categories.  So for example:

I have courses by Category as follows:

iPhone (category)
- Intro to iPhone (class)
- how to install apps (class)

Android (category)
- making the switch (class)

Windows Mobile (category)
- Intro to Windows 10 mobile (class)

Scenarios 

Student 1 - can only work with iPhone so only needs this category
Student 2 - can only work with Android so only needs this category
Student 3 - can work with iPhone and Android needs both categories
Student 4 - can work with all categories - phone, android, and windows

Now imagine I have these different students but not just 4 students by several hundred all having one of these permission requirements. and what I am confused about is how to set up groups and then subsequent permissions by these class examples I noted above.

What I really want to do is define this hierarchy such as:

iPhone Resellers - only see iPhone classes
Android Resellers - only see Android classes
Super Reseller - people who can sell both iPhone and Android
Ultimate Reseller - They can sell all phones so they can see all classes

Is it possible to set up Cohorts (I believe is what I want) by classes and then when I enroll a new user I determine what Reseller group (Cohort) they below to and they then automatically get both enrolled and have access to the classes they are supposed to see.  But all other classes remain hidden from them.

Is this possible?  I am using moodle 3.4x

Much appreciate your guidance and help on how to configure this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Skeeter Harris

Re: Roles, Permissions and Groups

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello! 

Yes, "Cohort sync" enrolment method is what you need (be careful and avoid using cohorts from the manual enrolment method... because you want the users will be enrolled automatically to the courses when there're added to a cohort!) smile 

You'll find all the information about the "Cohort sync" on this page: https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Cohort_sync#Enrolling_a_cohort_in_a_course

Please, let us to know if you have some more question smile

Kind regards!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sara Arjona Téllez

by Skeeter Harris -

Hi Sara,

Thanks for your help and No I had not done this at the course level and just "found" where course administration was to even add this!  LOL

So on this path the dialog asks for an instance name and to create a new group or none.

So What's the instance name used for - would you name it the same as the course or the cohort? and do I really need to create groups if I am using Cohorts?

You see in the scenario I painted I basically am trying to keep the different groups segmented so they can only get into the classes they are authorized for and that's it.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

As Sara says, yes to cohorts assigning to courses.  That's the easiest.  Making courses they aren't eligible for hidden is probably not possible--but they won't be able to take them (unless you set open self-enrollment). I'd add some course description that is clear who the courses are for.

So cohorts: Go to the area you want the cohorts and create your cohorts--If the levels won't changes, you can create them at the site level (Site Administration->Users->Cohorts) but if you set up courses by year, you might need to create cohorts at the category level instead (Category settings->Cohorts. 

Example: X group of people has to take A-C courses and Y group takes J-H courses in 2017 and X group takes D-E courses and y group take K-N courses in 2018 but some people change groups between 2017 and 2018.

Once the cohorts are created, you'll add all the people to each one.  Go to each course, add cohort sync enrollment method (as Sara described) for each cohort (iPhone Resellers would have a cohort sync enrollment method and so would Super Resellers and Ultimate Resellers in the iPhone classes; The Android Resellers would have a cohort sync enrollment method in the Android classes and so would the Super and Ultimate resellers. Three methods per class).  As new staff are hired, you'll just add them to the appropriate cohort and they will be added to the course. 

If you want groups added to the courses to be able to look at each cohort separately in the reports, you can create groups and when you add the cohort sync, select the group and they'll be added immediately. Groups have to be created in each course (but you could set up a csv upload and just load them that way).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Skeeter Harris -

Hi Melanie, 

I've attached real names and cohorts to try to better explain what I want and I'm partially following what you're suggesting and really appreciate your time and offer to help.

I don't necessary care if everyone can see all classes but what I do care is that if:

Student 1 is assigned to CSP Telligence Cohort than all Telligence classes he/she can get in

Student 2 if they are assigned to CSP Mobility Cohort then they can only get in there

Student  3 if they are assigned CSP Elite they can got into all the classes.

Each student will operate through these courses independently and not be able to see other participants which I was able to turn off on student role permissions.

If feels like I am getting close here but when I add these students manually to these classes I don't see the segregation we are discussing here and perhaps that is because I first had added them manually to the classes.

Thanks!

Attachment Cohorts.png
Attachment course structure.png
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Skeeter Harris -

So I believe I figured this between you both!!! 

So I went back and unenrolled all 4 test students to start from all four classes.

Next I went into each class through course admin/users/enrollment and added 2 Cohort Sync's

1. Named it the category that represents all of the classes under this topic only

2. Added a second Cohort Sync called Elite which is system level

Once this was done - I then went back over to Administration/users/cohorts and added Student 2 to Mobility Cohort and Student 1 to  Telligence Nurse Call Mobility.  I then added Student 4 to Elite.

Once this was done I logged in on a different browser and while each student could see all the categories and all of the classes - they could only get into the ones I and put them in using the cohorts above.  When I logged as student 4 - I could get into all the classes as an Elite. 

This worked PERFECTLY!!! 

Thank you both so much for the guidance, I was honestly having a heck of a time getting my head around this, in particular I got the concept of Cohorts but had no clue how I established the relationship between the cohorts and the class and how students got in or out of them.

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Glad to help.  Cohorts takes a minute to wrap your head around but once you do, it really helps!