Moving Moodle from Local host

Moving Moodle from Local host

by Kyle Kaenel -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I have created my Moodle sight on my local host using MAMP.  I would now like to upload the created content to my online platform/host. I would like to transfer all of my customization as well as the course we have created.  We have not created a database for users. Can someone show me what files/folders I need to copy and upload or where to create the backup on the Site Admin tab.

Thank you in advance for you assistance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kyle Kaenel

Re: Moving Moodle from Local host

by William Stewart -

You'll need three things:

1) Moodle code folder (with your config.php file)

2) Data directory

3) SQL dump

You'll need to create make sure all of the right information is in the config.php file for the production environment of course.

You can do an sql  dump using php my admin on your local machine if the size is relatively small. Otherwise, you'll probably have to do it over the command line which looks like [msqldump (insert database name here) > (create the output file's name here)] minus the square brackets and parentheses of course.

You'll need to create a database on your server and import this sql file. There's a couple of ways to do this, CLI, through PhpMyAdmin, or if you have managed hosting, you could ask them to do it for you smile.