Installing and upgrading help

Trouble accessing site after server migration

Picture of Karen Nicholas
Trouble accessing site after server migration

Our webhost migrated us to a new server with a new company, without notice, and stuffed up the migration.  Originally I was getting an error on going to our moodle page that indicated that the data folder had incorrect permissions.  It turned out neither the database or the upload data folder had been copied to the new server.

After a week of arguing (TPP wholesale you stink!) I finally got the site resynced and all of the files look to have reappeared.

Unfortunately now the link www.oursite.com.au/moodle simply redirects to www.oursite.com.au, or at least a copy of oursite.com.au but located at www.oursite.com.au/moodle. The tab still reads 'page not found'.

If I click on an item in the navigation menu of our site as it appears, it tries to go to eg www.oursite.com.au/moodle/ourteam.

Of course the case has been escalated with TPP.  But I just want to get it running again so I can backup all of the courses and find another webhost.  I think we were running version 2.9.

With my limited IT knowledge I am wondering if there is some kind of site wide redirect applied to subfolders.  Where do I start looking?  Or any other ideas on how to get our site working and students moving again?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: Trouble accessing site after server migration
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Ouch!  That hurts!

If you have cPanel access think I'd locate the code directory and make a backup of that.  Use the MySQL tool to do an SQL dump of the database.  Locate moodledata and make a backup of that.

Download all those - even if site is not currently working - it might be only a change to config.php file of the site.

So let me ask ... the original site had moodle in a subdirectory like /moodle/  What was the first thing one saw when accessing your site without the /moodle/?   A WordPress? or a static web page?

Did you create the 'ourteam' directory or did tech support?

IF they didn't edit config.php file of the moodle ... all they  might need to do is move the code from /moodle/ourteam/ up one level to /moodle/ ... that's all the folders/files in outteam - there are hidden files in there that should be moved up one level as well.  IF you are not comfortable doing that, ask Tech Support ... after all they kinda messed it up.  Even if the normal policy is not to get into the applications of customers, would think in this case, they should.

Then, fingers crossed, check or edit the config.php file to point the wwwurl variable to the correct location in http://site/moodle ... and double check the path to moodledata.

Think could take screen shots of what you see in cPanel ... edit those so you do not disclose too much info ... and someone who uses cPanel might be able to guide you from that (obviously, don't host with provider myself ... and don't use cPanel either).

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Karen Nicholas

Thanks Ken.  Moodledata was one of the folders that didn't copy over to the new server along with every table in the database after the letter c, along with our backup files. TPP appeared to decommission the Uber server (Uber/Aussie HQ lost a trademark case against them by Uber) without checking everything had synced properly.  I finally got them copied and resynced, but it still wasn't working.

The 'ourteam' directory is one of the pages on our wordpress website, the moodle folder is inside our public_html and the moodledata folder sits outside of that.  I still wonder if it was pointing to duplicate content rather than a logical 404 error or something similar.

Anyway, after a week of useless support from TPP, and at about 2am (sorry I didn't update this post sooner), I managed to download some error logs off cpanel and work it out from there, so good news.. we are back up and running.  Permissions were all over the place on files.  I am currently in the market for a good (and relatively cheap but not nasty) moodle host as I can't go through this again! 

Picture of Ken Task
Particularly helpful Moodlers

No need to apologize for not posting back ... you've been busy!  

Shame you had to resort to that sort of troubleshooting, but what you've shared might be a tip for others on hosting that have cPanel.  Good to hear you've resolved the problem and site is up. ;)

** do make site backups and download those backups ** ... as well as full course backups.

Uhhh ... not sure there are any 'good' and '... not nasty' hosting providers for anything ... they are all 'evil' in one way or another.

However, you might find one amoung:

https://www.google.com/search?q=good+not+nasty+moodle+hosting

You might consider making that query ... 'in the market for' ... in another posting of these forums ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken