Users not receiving reset password emails

Users not receiving reset password emails

by Danielle Antha -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

My users are not receiving reset password emails when they try to reset their own passwords. When I try and force a password change, they are not getting that email either. There doesn't seem to be any events logged for an attempted log-in or password change in their event log. I'm using version 3.2.2.

Thank you!

Danielle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Danielle Antha

Re: Users not receiving reset password emails

by Dan Bennett -
Hi Danielle,

Do you have access to your server that Moodle is hosted on? And do you have SMTP set up within Moodle (Site administration ---> Server --> Email --> Outgoing mail configuration).

If you do have SMTP setup, then you may find errors within the SMTP server itself which will help identify why emails are not being sent.

If not, then your internal mail logs may have something. If you're on Linux this may be `/var/log/maillog`. Search in there for an email address of someone who didn't receive the email and it may give an insight into why that didn't send.
In reply to Dan Bennett

Re: Users not receiving reset password emails

by Danielle Antha -

Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.

Emails are set up; new users are still getting emails to authenticate their accounts when they sign up. It seems to be just the reset password emails that don't seem to be working. Maybe it is a problem elsewhere within the SMTP server... I don't have Linux though. Is it something to do with the SMTP authorisation type? At the moment, this is set to 'LOGIN.'

Thanks for your help so far.

Danielle

Average of ratings: Useful (1)