Activity names autolinking not working

Activity names autolinking not working

by Joost Elshoff -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi, I have a course in Moodle 3.1 for which I have enabled Activity names autolinking, following the steps as documented in Moodle docs (enabled to Default On site wide). Filter is also on within the course, as I checked.

Still, it seems the filter won't create the links to all the labels and files I want to link. I even tried hardcoding it in the HTML with the span class="link", but this also didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joost Elshoff

Re: Activity names autolinking not working

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

First of all - does it work with the standard Clean theme? When you say links to all the labels and files, what are you trying to link to?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joost Elshoff -
I tested this with a Clean theme, but to no avail. I want to use the activity names filter to refer to a specific label or file (pdf) from one section that lists all of the file names in a table, without hardcoding html anchors between the table and the resources.

Example

In the list, we would have:

Item 1 Item1description

Where 'Item 1' would link to the location of the file in the course. This is the way the filter is intended, but it does not work.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Joost,

The activity names linking filter does not work to auto-link to Labels. It works with other Activity & Resource names. It does the linking to Activity names in the text in Labels (see screenshot done in 3.1) just as it does in Pages or the HTML block, etc.

When you say Files, do you mean the File activity/resource?

The linking will work if you are using the name of the activity/resource and not the file name of the file that is inside it.

The Folder activity works in the same way: the auto-linking will link to the name of the Folder resource but not to any of the files inside it.

In the Site admin level in Plugins > Filters, I always put it first in the list so it is processed before other filters, especially before the Convert URLs filters. If it is set On for the whole site, you should not need to add it again to any course for it to work.

Attachment screenshot_1840.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Joost Elshoff -

Hi Randy,

That was very useful. I've succeeded in getting the filter to do it's thing!