I am still racking my head on the LIS2 specification . But from my initial analysis it provides a better integration environment for SIS-to-LMS -to-(any other app that wants data from the latter applications) . What moodle is certified with ls LTI which works best in a LMS<->LMS integration.
LIS2 has these services specifications
- Person Management Service - defines datamodels + operations to exchange people data (students,instructors etc)
- Group Management Service -
- Membership Management Service -
- Course Management Service - to handle course structure, course offerings, assessments and enrollments.
- Outcomes Management Service - for gradebook results and outcomes.
- Bulk data Exchange Service-to handle bulk operations of the listed services.
For an application to be fully compliant it has to behave as a consumer and a producer for most of the services.
The SIS to LMS integration will be the biggest gainer in LIS2 as more information can be exchanged. The kind of adaptations implementers have to do to map course structures from SIS to LMS and back is crazy and this spec from this point of view is a savior.
Let me continue with this momentum Tim, dont want to be lazy I will put up a detailed article on this as I gather more info...