[ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 322
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Please only ask questions related to DESIGN PROBLEMS
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The css listed below is causing block headers to be smaller than the blocks on small screens.  Is there a reason for it or can it be removed?  
Side note, I have tried overwriting this in additional css but am not sure how to reference it correctly.  Copied and pasted and change 10px to 0px but it is not coming up at all.  I am presuming it is due to the @media reference.  Is there a correct way for me to reference that?
@media (max-width: 768px)
.block .header {
  1. margin0px 10px !important;

In reply to Mary Evans

by Bret Brinkman -

We are testing Adaptable for implementation on a system running 2.8.11. We have run into the same issue reported in the last thread regarding the hiding of weeks/topics causing them to be unable to be unhidden - see here:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=326234#p1333704

The proposed CSS workaround there does resolve the issue when using weeks or topics, but we also have the problem when using the "onetopic" course format, which the solution does not resolve:

https://moodle.org/plugins/format_onetopic

Any suggestions on a workaround that might also fix the issue using that course format? Thanks.

In reply to Bret Brinkman

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You could try this...if it is a similar problem then it may work...

.course-content ul.topics li.section.hidden .sectionname,
.course-content ul.topics li.section.hidden .content > div,
.course-content ul.topics li.section.hidden .activity .activityinstance {
    margin-right: 40px;
}

I hope it does!

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Bret Brinkman -

Thanks, Mary - we were able to get this to work by putting in a right margin wider than 40 px (120 px or more; it is a little clunky, but functioning).

In reply to Bret Brinkman

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This issue was fixed, not only in 2.8, in previous versions of Adaptable so if you update to latest version should work. I tested yesterday in a fresh 2.8 installation and works well.

You don't indicate your Adaptable version so update to latest and then verify if it works.

By other hand, Adaptable and all the rest of Moodle Themes, can't manage all the existing course formats.

Each course format has its own styles so it is impossible for a theme to include all the styles needed. This topic was already discussed and the only way is standardize the styles in the course formats and then themes could apply its own styles.

Adaptable has styles for Topics/Weeks and Social Wall formats.  Which is much more than many other themes.

I opened a proposal for the One topic format in our tracker and then will decide if develop the styles in future releases.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by J C -

Is there a reason the font used for the site name in the header below, works right across the site

Site Header

except when going into a Course, it changes to this. I can't find a setting to change this anywhere

Course

In reply to Mary Evans

by Esther Claravalls López -

Hi,

It's the first time I'm working with this theme and I'm blocked with a very simple issue.

I've configured "Lower Header blocks text and link colour (headertextcolor2) with black color (#000000) and "Lower header background colour (headerbkcolor2)" whith white color (#FFFFFF), but I can't see the text because it appears white.

Thanks

Esther

In reply to Esther Claravalls López

by Fernando Acedo -

Thanks for using Adaptable for your moodle project.

The lower header is used to display the logo/title, social icons and searchbox.

The headertextcolor2 color is applied mainly to the social icons and search box. The site title has its own colour that can be customized if you use the custom title. By default is #ffffff so probably this is the reason you can see the title.

Add some social icon and you will see the colour selected.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Julien Mirabell -

Hallo Mary,

thanks a lot for this great template you have create.

I have a issue with the option that you called "Sticky Navbar at the top" (it's a option to cutomize the navigation bar). If I scrolled down, the navigation bar is always displayed on the top of my site, but on the frontpage it cut out the newsticker (not visible) and the half of the slider is also cut out (you can't scroll up to see more).

Normally it must be like that:

In my site it looks like that:

Is this problem known and would your fixed this with a future update?

Thanks for helping and your support for this issue.

Greatings
Julien

In reply to Julien Mirabell

by Fernando Acedo -

Please, disable the sticky bar option. There is a bug in some configurations that break the header.

We will publish a new release soon that will fix the problem.

by Genevieve Volkers -

Hi,

We'd installed your latest Adaptable version 1.2.3 and noticed that the Sticky bar is not sticking on the screen at all. That is, when I scroll down any page, the navigation bar still disappear off the top. Please advise. Thanks. BTW, love the theme.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Just updated to latest version and lost the fixed navbar - please tell me it is coming back or there is someway to add it back in...if you disabled it, could you let me know what I can do to add it back in - even as it was, I had it working on my site....

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Fernando Acedo -

Emma, the sticky navbar has been disabled for the moment until find a better solution. The adaptable header is much more complex than expected due to the number of bars that can we display: alerts, top menu, header and navbar.

I'm trying to find a solution that could fix the header without break the rest of the theme.

by Emma Richardson -

Is there something I can hack to bring it back or did you remove the code altogether?  If not, can you let me know the version number that had it enabled so I can reinstall that version...?  I am in the middle of building help guides for next year and just trying to find the easiest way to overcome my screwup of installing the update without thinking and of course without backing up first!!

by Fernando Acedo -

The code is still there because we are working on it.

Now is forced to not sticky, but can be enable. Go to https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable/src/0b9f50ad85df5580bdfeabf4e5631b7160a0660b/layout/includes/header.php?at=master&fileviewer=file-view-default#header.php-41

Change it to true and will works like in previous versions.

by Emma Richardson -

Oh awesome.  I will try that out on my dev site.  Thanks Fernando.

by Emma Richardson -

Never mind - with the help of the flavours plugin, I am back to 1.2.1!  What a great plugin by the way for backing up and restoring settings.  So much better than the old admin settings one.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ezequiel Benito -

Hello, we are moving 1.9 old installation on our university and chose Adaptable as the best available theme. But having only 2 columns becomes an issue to us since there are important blocks we want to be on top easily visible, including the comment block that uses all column.

Is there a way we can use the standard course layout of 3 columns, as it happens with Essential?

Best regards

Ezequiel
In reply to Ezequiel Benito

by Fernando Acedo -

Adaptable is based in the old BCU theme, developed originally for a British university. It was developed from the beginning to use 2 columns because they decided is the best view in the course page. Adaptable just follow this layout.

My personal experience after install hundred moodle sites is that 2 columns is the best layout. 3 columns limit the course space and when you use a mobile view there are no differences. The whole theme layout is based in 2 columns and is not working with 3.

By other side, Adaptable layout has a block region builder which is a new feature in moodle themes. This tool allows you to create any layout in the frontpage. Probably we will add this feature in other pages like Dashboard and Course pages in the future.

PS: You can post also in the spanish forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=326804
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Ezequiel Benito -

Thank you Fernando for your detailed answer. Unfortunately my university has a hard to change template coming from years ago, they accepted updating moodle but still some more profound changes will have to wait.

So bad there is no solution know, I believe we will have to go with Essential right now. Or would you recommend any adaptation technique?

We would really love to see that layout creation tool for the course pages, it would make Adaptable the "definitive" theme, because it's the kind of control over design that allows much richer learning environments,

Best

Ezequiel

by Fernando Acedo -
The truth is that the 3 columns layout is already included in Adaptable because it was included in BCU.

I'm not sure if BCU was using this layout in the past but I don't remember to modify the code for Adaptable.

So probably adapting the layout to Adaptable would be enough.

If you don't need the layout in a short time then I will add it to our tracker and could be done in some weeks.

by Ezequiel Benito -
That would be amazing Fernando, I can talk the faculty staff into holding theme implementation until July, as the new platform was schedule to be launched for 2nd semester (August)

We would really appreciate that!

If there's anything we can do to help on the process count on us.

Best,

Ezequiel

by Fernando Acedo -

I already created the request and I will take a look next week and then I could say when will be done. Anyway before July.

by Colin Wheelhouse -
Hi,
In Adaptable how is is possible to move the block region on the frontpage to be at the top of the page something like the attached screenshot. In courses the show hide function is great as the two column layout keeps them just underneath the header, however if you add a slideshow or marketing blocks etc onto the frontpage, the blocks get shoved below these which is a pain for admins who use the frontpage a lot, to scroll down to find. It's also not obvious whether they have exapnded or not.

Cheers

Colin
Attachment blocks.JPG
In reply to Colin Wheelhouse

by Fernando Acedo -

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean. The screenshot do not show anything. Adaptable has actually 3 regions where you can locate blocks and you have a builder to set the rows to display in the main region.

A design with a blocks region in the top has no sense. Mainly because breaks the site design. Moodle blocks do not have so much options for styles, and Adaptable include most of them, so the final result would be really awful. That's the reason of the marketing blocks where you can add any content.

So we don't have any change in the frontpage about blocks. But maybe in the future some other pages like Dashboard and Course Page could have a top/bottom regions where add blocks. 

by Colin Wheelhouse -

Fernando,

Thanks for your reply what I am trying to see if I can get Adaptable to do is like this demo http://newschoolthemes.com/moodle/3x/?theme=solveto. If you click the settings icon in the top left of the page the blocks appear.

Can Adaptable be already set up so that the blocks slideout from the side of the screen but from the top of the page ratherthan below the header or whatever else is on the homepage?

Thanks

Colin

In reply to Colin Wheelhouse

by Fernando Acedo -

This is a javascript question and not a regions or blocks related.

I remember someone that modified Adaptable to get this functionality. And I think that m3.2 new theme will be similar to this.

Then will see if we can add this feature to the theme.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Steve Sweeney -

Trying to figure out why my header is the way it is. I can't seem to figure this out . . . 

I can't get rid of the background block for the LOGIN User. It makes it impossible to see the name clearly.

Where can I set it to be transparent the same way I did with the Messages.

Attachment Syn1.png
In reply to Steve Sweeney

by Fernando Acedo -

Could you verify with Firebug the cllass applied? It is really strange because the default colours are dark as you can see in the demo site. And I created sites with light background and no issues.

What is the Adaptable version?

Re: Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS

by Steve Sweeney -
Fernando,

by Steve Sweeney -
Fernando,

Thanks for the response! Im not sure what you mean when you ask,

Could you verify with Firebug the cllass applied?

Please explain

Also,what’s really odd is this is what my Login Button looks like as well.

Mac OS X 10.11.4
Safari or Chrome or Firefox
Adaptable Theme v1.2.2

Thanks again!

Steve

by Fernando Acedo -

I meant:

Could you verify with Firebug the class applied?

Specially the classes indicated in the image:

Looks like there are some custom code that modify a class.

by Steve Sweeney -

I think you're right. I'm not sure what add-on would be creating these though.

Thanks for helping me out. Please advise how I should remove this limitation.

Steve

Attachment Syn2.png

by Steve Sweeney -

Can't seem to find the right Colour option to make it go transparent. Seems like I've tried them all.

Steve

Attachment Syn1.png
In reply to Mary Evans

by Scott Starkweather -

I have create 5 header menus and they look great--BUT the dropdowns appear with white text on a pale gray background making them nearly unreadable!  I have tweaked every color picker I could find and no change. Where can I make these dropdowns more readable?

In reply to Scott Starkweather

by Fernando Acedo -

What is the link colour ?

If it is white or light then could be difficult to read in the dropdowns. Adaptable use the default link colour in the dropdown.

by Viktor O -

I guess Scott is talking about this:

This piece of custom CSS helped me:

.dropdown-menu>li>a:hover, .dropdown-menu>li>a:focus, .dropdown-submenu:hover>a, .dropdown-submenu:focus>a {background-color:#bbb;}

In reply to Viktor O

by Fernando Acedo -

Did you test the style in the main menus?

One of the problems with Atto, among many other problems, is that it uses the BS styles directly without add any id. Any change in the theme can modify the Atto styles.

Anyway I will test the snippet and let you know.

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS -- block border outline

by Mark Pearson -

Moodle : 3.0.4, Adaptable theme : 1.2.2+ (2016051200)

In Themes > Adaptable > Block settings I have configured the following :

Block Header border style : solid
Block header top radius : 10px
Block header top border thickness : 3px
Block header left border thickness : 3px
Block main border style : solid
Block main left border thickness : 3px

and everything else at 0.

This looks great except for blocks in the main middle section :

Screenshot block borders in Main section

I used the Web Developer Firefox plugin to Outline block level elements.

When I right click on the yellow bit (which is where I think the problem resides) and bring up Firebug, this is what I get :

Firebug rendering of trouble area

I spent ages poking about trying to figure out what style was causing the issue but I'm not very experienced with Firebug so I'm able to give any more help.

I am also not seeing the 'Social' icons in the Header & will try poking about some more to figure out what isn't there.

Thanks for all the work you're doing on this. Hope these reports help out.

Mark Pearson

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Fernando Acedo -

Thank you Mark to use Adaptable in your moodle project. Looks like the block settings do not override the default bootstrapbase.

I will open an issue but in the meantime add this code in the custom CSS:

.block {
border radius: 10px !important;
}

About the Social icons, you have the setting in the bottom of the Header section.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Fernando, 

That CSS  will not work as you wrote it wrongly.

This is how it should be written...

.block {
border-radius: 10px !important;
}
In reply to Mary Evans

by Fernando Acedo -

Yep, you are right. Sorry for the typo.

by Mark Pearson -

Fernando, Mary,

The CSS you gave did not affect the display. However, using the Web Developer plugin for Firefox and the CSS > Display style information option I found the following custom CSS does remove the unwanted extra margin :

.block_course_overview .content
{
  margin-left: 0px;
}

I found the Social Icon setting and fixed the display -- thanks for the tip.

Now to see whether I can get a background image to show in the Header -- I reckon that folks might find that useful.

Cheers

Mark

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Fernando Acedo -

The blocks issues are fixed in version 1.2.3

In reply to Mary Evans

Quiz background color

by Pierre Suter -

Hi all

I'm using moodle 3.1 with Adaptable theme 1.2.3. I was configuring my colors according to our CI settings and found that I had to override the "currentcolor" settings for quizzes to be better viewable with some custom CSS:

.que .formulation {
background: none repeat scroll 0 0 #cce5e5
}

I wonder if it might be possible to offer a new color setting to achieve this in a future version of the Adaptable theme to avoid custom CSS?

Regards

Pierre

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - Logo non-responsive

by Am Osl -

Hi,

I don't know if it's a design problem but the logo in the header is not responsive : it disappears when the browser window become smaller.

I made researches on the web but didn't find anything, I also tried to change the CSS but without succeeding.

Any idea ?

Thank you in advance.

In reply to Am Osl

by Fernando Acedo -

Go to Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Adaptable > Mobile Settings > Hide Logo on mobile

Set to Show

by Am Osl -

Thank you very much !

In reply to Mary Evans

by Quentin Machiels -

hello, I have a problem with my right menu when not connected.

it's suposed to be on the right side of the template. But when the user is not connected, it's displayed under the coventry tiles and the tiles are in full width.

do you have any idea of what am i missing here ?

thanks a lot.

Attachment connectedornot.jpg
In reply to Quentin Machiels

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

From the screen shots it looks like a layout problem when not logged in.

Can you give me a link to the site so I can take a closer look in order to diagnose the problem?

Thanks

Mary

by Fernando Acedo -

I need to know:

adaptable version

default column in the layout section (left or right)

Did you try to move the block to the left?

Are you logged? As admin or student?

by Quentin Machiels -

when I put them in the left column the coventry tiles are on the right AND under the menu.

It's like my menu and the html box are tiles.

the problem is when not connected, when connected in admin or student/teacher we don't have the problem.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Q,

Can you do me a favour so as to lessen the annoyance of not seeing the problem first hand...can you get to the page where the problem occurs on your test site, then point your cursor on the screen right click the mouse and select "View Page Source" from the dropdown menu.

Then look for the <body > tag and copy the line of body id and classes. And then Paste it into your next comment here.

It will look similar to this:

<body id="page-mod-forum-post" class="format-topics  path-mod path-mod-forum gecko dir-ltr lang-en yui-skin-sam yui3-skin-sam moodle-org pagelayout-incourse course-5 context-115 cmid-46 category-3 two-column has-region-side-post used-region-side-post side-post-only">
Its just that the body classes can tell us alot about what is going on in the page.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Quentin Machiels -

<body id="page-site-index" class="format-site course path-site safari dir-ltr lang-fr yui-skin-sam yui3-skin-sam moodle3-technocite-be pagelayout-frontpage course-1 context-2 notloggedin two-column has-region-side-post used-region-side-post has-region-middle empty-region-middle has-region-frnt-footer empty-region-frnt-footer has-region-frnt-market-a empty-region-frnt-market-a has-region-frnt-market-b empty-region-frnt-market-b has-region-frnt-market-c empty-region-frnt-market-c has-region-frnt-market-d empty-region-frnt-market-d has-region-frnt-market-e empty-region-frnt-market-e has-region-frnt-market-f empty-region-frnt-market-f has-region-frnt-market-g empty-region-frnt-market-g has-region-frnt-market-h empty-region-frnt-market-h has-region-frnt-market-i empty-region-frnt-market-i has-region-frnt-market-j empty-region-frnt-market-j has-region-frnt-market-k empty-region-frnt-market-k has-region-frnt-market-l empty-region-frnt-market-l has-region-frnt-market-m empty-region-frnt-market-m has-region-frnt-market-n empty-region-frnt-market-n has-region-frnt-market-o empty-region-frnt-market-o has-region-frnt-market-p empty-region-frnt-market-p has-region-frnt-market-q empty-region-frnt-market-q has-region-frnt-market-r empty-region-frnt-market-r has-region-frnt-market-s empty-region-frnt-market-s has-region-frnt-market-t empty-region-frnt-market-t side-post-only layout-option-nonavbar">

by Fernando Acedo -

I would need more information because I can't replicate.

I need a full screen shot with Editing OFF.

I can see the same block in the sidebar and in the builder regions. So, how is it possible? Did you replicate them or are displayed twice? Did you add blocks to the region builder?

by Quentin Machiels -

sorry, it was a joined screen shoot. connected on top of the screenshoot.

not connected on the botom.

here is a screenshoot of the site web when I'm connected.

that's what we want when not connected.

Attachment connected_admin.jpg

by Quentin Machiels -

and the problem when I'am not

Attachment not_connected.jpg

by Fernando Acedo -

Can you post the resolution screen used?

by Quentin Machiels -

1980X1024

same problem on smaller or bigger resolution. 

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Thanks for the body tag...that is promising.

Now since we cannot get to the bottom of this...can I ask you to go the extra mile and just copy the whole of the "View Page Source" code.

This is the only way I will be able to piece it together and find what's happening to the frontpage.

You can save it as a file in Notepad and call it:  adaptable_source_code.txt

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Quentin Machiels -

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

The problem is in the layout file for the frontpage as you can see here...

<section id="region-main">

It should be

<section id="region-main" class="span9 desktop-first-coloumn">

Then the side block region should float right if only it had the 'pull-right' class selector.    

<aside id="block-region-side-post" class="span3 block-region" data-blockregion="side-post" data-droptarget="1">

like so...

<aside id="block-region-side-post" class="span3 pull-right block-region" data-blockregion="side-post" data-droptarget="1">

I know this is not much help to you but, as I see it, it looks like a bug so it needs fixing.

But then again I need to find where it all went wrong.

Has anyone altered the frontpage.php file in your Adaptable theme?

In the mean time I will checkout the file.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Quentin Machiels -

no alteration, just changed the color in admin and no marketing blocks.

you can find my frontpage.php attached.

thanks for all your help!

by Fernando Acedo -

Sorry but the front page file is totally useless because it should be the same that any other site using Adaptable. The configuration is located in the database.

I would need access the site to see the problem. The screenshots do not clarify the layout and I need to verify several settings. My thoughts are closer to a settings combination that Adaptable render in a wrong way.

by Mary Evans -

Thanks,

OK...I have found what the problem is.

It looks like JavaScript was disabled, or compromised, looking at the Body classes for the page.

Does the problem only manifest itself on the frontpage?

Do you have any other third party Plugin blocks on the Frontpage?

It could be a conflict with the YouTube embedded file?

You could try removing that block to test this.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Niall Sheehan -

Still reading the threads, but I haven't seen a solution yet and we are having the same problem.

https://mediclearn.rppeo.ca/

As a 'guest' (non logged in user), the sidebar ends up below the main content blocks. It was on the todo list when I spotted this discussion.

I also see that the section id "region-main" is missing the span setting span9 had a look at the custom CSS and it's not overriding any values for "region-main". I suspect it's an oversight in the PHP setting for the page with a non logged in user.

Thank you for your insight.

Niall

by Fernando Acedo -

We are aware of issues in some screen resolutions but more related to mobile devices than HD screens.

Have you enable Blocks Builder ?

and Marketing blocks?

by Clarence Prudhoe -

No, I have not worked on the front page so I have not used the blocks builder or Marketing blocks.

Do they have something to do with the Lesson True/False buttons?

In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

by Fernando Acedo -

Sorry, I think I replied another post. Your issue is not related to the frontpage. Is related to Bootstrapbase.

This issue was fixed in previous versions and I can't replicate it. It looks well now, so not sure if the patch will fix the issue:

input[type="radio"], input[type="checkbox"] {
    margin-left: 15px;
    margin-right: 1px;
}

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Thanks Fernando,

I entered the CSS code but it did not change the position.

I have the same problem on my desktop, laptop, and iPad Mini so it is evidently not a screen resolution problem.

As I reported earlier, I am using Moodle 3.1+  and Adaptable 1.2.3 so I should have up-to-date code.

I'll keep looking.

Clarence

by Fernando Acedo -

Sorry but I can't replicate it. I tested several pages with radio buttons using the moodle test course and all are displayed well.

by Mary Evans -

Hello Clarence,

This is more than likely a LESSON bug. The Lesson module was the pain of my life when Moodle 2.0 was first released and I was working on my very first Moodle 2.0 theme called Flower Power...!!!

Just to rule out Adaptable...can you please test again using the More theme or the Clean theme? It would be really helpful if you could?

Many thanks in advance...

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS -- Radio Button

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I changed to the Clean theme and the radio button works correctly in there.

Then I created a new question, using Adaptable, and I added 3 spaces before I entered "False" in the response field and Adaptable looks OK.  I get the radial button followed by one space then False, i.e. "0 False".  Without the spaces I get "0alse"

Fernando suggested I enter this code in Custom CSS, but it has no effect:

margin-left: 15px;

}

Thanks for your help,

Clarence

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Mary and Ferando,

I changed Fernando's Custom CSS fix making margin-left = 3 and it works OK now.

margin-left: 3px;

}

Thanks,

Clarence

Attachment truefalse.gif

by Fernando Acedo -

Notice that it is a global style and has impact in the whole site. Verify other radio buttons are displayed correctly.

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hello Fernando,

Point taken.  Rather than spend time testing all the possible radio button instances, I will just add some spaces to the True/False response fields so the radio buttons will line up properly.  Perhaps, if others encounter this same problem, someone will discover the bug.

Thanks,

Clarence

by guido ricaldi -

Hi guys,

I think I've a problem similar to the one Clarence encoutered. My moodle version is 3.2.2, and Adaptable 1.3.1.1.

Long story short, in lesson my radio buttons appear to be unaligned and located ahead/behind of my answer... here's a screenshot of this issue:

I've read Fernando's suggestion here but I'm not sure where to put this code.

In reply to guido ricaldi

by Fernando Acedo -

I didn't notice any issue related to radio buttons in moodle 3.2 but in any case you can paste the code in the Custom CSS box located in the same name section.

In reply to guido ricaldi

by Mary Evans -

Hi guido,

Have you tested it to see if it works OK in Clean theme first.  If it does the same thing then it is a Moodle problem and needs reporting.

I have just tested a Lesson in the Moodle DEMO site and the same thing is occuring there. So this is a problem within the Lesson CORE code.

It may already havebeen reported so I will go and check.

Hope this helps,

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Susan Vinovrski -

Hi Mary,

Can you share if you found out if this is a Lesson issue?

I updated recently to Moodle 3.2.2 and Adaptable 1.3.2 and encountered a similar problem with True/False questions (radio button over text) and multichoice question (radio button now to right of text and not aligned). 

The Custom CSS suggested by Fernando, then updated by Clarence worked for me for True/False questions, but now the multichoice look worse as they are right up against the answers

Any ideas about how I could fix those buttons?

Thanks

Susan

In reply to Susan Vinovrski

by Fernando Acedo -

As far I can see, there is a wrong style applied to the radio buttons that will be fixed in next release scheduled for this week.

Anyway I see that the editor can add <p> tags (Atto ???) when you enter the radio button text. The tag breaks the alignment. So it is not only a style question.

by Susan Vinovrski -

Thank you, Fernando.

I'll check the editor for those question pages -- maybe I'll find some stray <p> tags.

I look forward to the new release.

Best,

Susan

by Mary Evans -

Hi Fernando,

There is a big problem in the layout files.

Things have changed in Moodle since 2.9 and so you are using old and outdated code.

Checkout bootstrapbase/layout/ columns2.php and columns3.php its way simpler than it was in the old bootstrapbase theme.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Fernando Acedo -

Thanks Mary, we are aware of the issue and working on it. In fact, this release was delayed because I would like to fix it and was not possible.

But this is not the reason to move some blocks outside the sidebar. There are many sites using Adaptable and I don't know any with this issue. personally I use the Coventry format and I can't replicate the issue. even adding more regions.

I would need to access the site to verify what happens. Without access is impossible.

by Mary Evans -

Well the page source code shows no span class in the region main, so that is taking up all the span12 from container in page-content.

The side block that is added to the frontpage displays a you-tube video within an iframe.. The aside block-region has no float right either.

Here is what I found..

<section id="region-main">
        <span class="notifications" id="user-notifications"></span>
        <div role="main"><span id="maincontent"></span>

<a class="skip skip-block" href="#skipavailablecourses">Sauter cours disponibles</a>
        <div id="frontpage-course-list">
        <h2>Cours disponibles</h2>

<div class="courses frontpage-course-list-all">

<div class=" span4 panel panel-default coursebox hover covtiles"></div>
   </div>
  </section>

<aside id="block-region-side-post" class="span3 block-region" data-blockregion="side-post" data-droptarget="1">

by Emma Richardson -

Is this maybe to do with your Front page settings?  Have you checked those?  Perhaps match the when logged in settings to the not logged in settings and see if that helps.

by Quentin Machiels -

they are the same, that's the problem and I can't remember If we had that problem on 1.2.2 befo the upgrade...

In reply to Mary Evans

Απάντηση: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS

by Τόνια Θεοδωρακάτου -

Hello smile)

I am trying to set my new moodle (3.1) platform with adaptable theme but I face a couple of problems. 

1. Any of the fa-icons appears on my site. For example social icons, icons that "go to top", breadcrumps icons ets, menu icons ets. 

2. I ticked the option "Sticky Navbar at the top" but nothink happened.

Could you please help me?

Thank you!

In reply to Τόνια Θεοδωρακάτου

Re: Απάντηση: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS

by Fernando Acedo -

1. Any of the fa-icons appears on my site. For example social icons, icons that "go to top", breadcrumps icons ets, menu icons ets.

Verify the permissions. Adaptable uses local files so if you can't see the icons then means are not reachable by moodle.

2. I ticked the option "Sticky Navbar at the top" but nothink happened.

This option is still in development and it is not available.

by André Romijn -

We have the same problems with some icons ( was perfect in BCU) some ar missing, like HELP ( see vetvisuals.com)

Still no reply yet regards dropdown menus where text doesn't fit into menu column

In reply to André Romijn

by Fernando Acedo -

I just open the site and I can see all the icons. The globe in the languages menu and the icons in the blocks header.

I verified the code and you are using an old Adaptable version that load the FA icons from CDN. Update the theme because new versions include the icons in the theme folder.

Dropdowns menus have a fixed width and some sub-items are automatically truncated like in the Courses. If you have a sub-item with a length that exceed the width then you should reduce it.

by André Romijn -

We have installed Moodle 3.1+ and Adaptable 1.2.3. Still some of the icons missing.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Clarence Prudhoe -

There is a small problem with the Lesson/True-False question format.

The answer bullets are positioned on top of the text.

Please see the attached screenshot. 

Thanks,

Clarence

Attachment truefalse.gif

by Fernando Acedo -

That was an old issue, maybe version 1.1.

I just test it and looks well

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Fernando,

That is strange.  I am using Moodle 3.1+ and Adaptable 1.2.3.

Please tell me where the CSS code is for the buttons and I will see if I can adjust them.

Thanks for your help.

Clarence

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Fernando,

That is strange.  I am using Moodle 3.1+ and Adaptable 1.2.3.

Please tell me where the CSS code is for the buttons and I will see if I can adjust them.

Thanks for your help.

Clarence

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Fernando,

If you look closely at your screenshot, you will see that the text is not lined up correctly and some words are repeated.

I wonder if this is related to what I see on my site where the bullets are overlapping the text?

Thanks

Clarence

In reply to Mary Evans

Hints on padding

by Pierre Suter -

Hi all

Another hint about padding (moodle 3.1 + Adaptable 1.2.3). Put the following code in your CustomCSS area:

.course-content {
    padding: 25px 25px 25px 0px;
}
#region-main {
    padding: 25px 25px 25px 25px;
}

This helps to have more space around course content areas and within courses for activities (books, quizzes etc.). Otherwise its only 4px which I found not adequate (too less space between blocks on the side and the contents). Might be an option to put in the theme itself in a future version too?

Regards

Pierre

In reply to Pierre Suter

Re: Hints on padding

by Fernando Acedo -

Pierre, thank you for your suggestion. I will test it.

The region-main id is not clear for me because can break the whole site. Did you verify it in the frontpage and several activities and resources?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Olga Kim -

Hello. After updating moodle from 2.9 to 3.1 I can't create web pages and other resources on the main page of my website. There was a small button to add a resource like "new HTML-page" or "new timetable" and others. How I can create web pages now?

In reply to Olga Kim

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Are you using the Adaptable theme? Or have you just landed here and asking for help with a general question?

It does not sound like a theme problem, but more like things looks different than they did.

If the Main Menu block is not visible on the Frontpage of your website then if you are the Admin istrator you will need to turn editing on and add the Main Menu block.

Once added you will be able to add pages again.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Olga Kim -

Super!!! Thank you very much!! I found main menu and it works now! smile

It is my first website ever smile I am beginner. I use adaptable theme. 

In reply to Mary Evans

by Elisabeth Ashley -

Hi,

I really like this theme, however I noticed that the text highlighting color is set to a bright yellowish green:

I was unable to find an option to change this color within the layout. I looked in the CSS and sure enough, the color is hard-coded in adaptable.css on lines 58-67:

/* Selection **************************/
::selection {
color: #000000;
background-color: #eeff41;
}

::-moz-selection {
color: #000000;
background-color: #eeff41;
}

I commented this out and now text selection is back to the default color, but I think that this should probably be an option within the theme options.

In reply to Elisabeth Ashley

by Fernando Acedo -

Yes, this is right. The selection colours are hardcoded. But you can overwrite it adding your custom colours in the CSS custom box.

This setting is not in our To Do list for the moment.

In reply to Elisabeth Ashley

by Emma Richardson -

Instead of commenting it out, you can always change it in your custom css file.  This will stop you have to update it again with every update.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Kimber Warden -

When I mouse over the course tiles on the front page, only 70 words of the course summary appears in the .summary div. On a large monitor, it shows about three lines before truncating, but has about 4 lines of blank space below it. To me, this looks strange and incomplete. I found the code where I could change the number of words that displays before truncating, but when I increased it, the text overflows when the screen is resized. Is there some way to make the summary take up all of the space in the .summary div even when the screen is resized?

In reply to Kimber Warden

by Fernando Acedo -

Actually the summary is truncated to 70 characters (no 10 words). We found this value enough to display the course summary without overflow the div.

Anyway, the number of lines and the space the content takes has many variables: font, font-size, font-weight and screen resolution.

For the moment we have no plans to convert the value into a setting. maybe in the future. But you are free to modify the code and change the 70 characters to other value.

The truncate value is located in renderers.php

https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable/src/e57dae12d0750fb6ffde70b7ebb8dcd1a6606c4d/renderers.php?fileviewer=file-view-default#renderers.php-2032

by Pierre Suter -

The other lines are used for information about course contact etc. (see Frontpage Courses settings). 

I've done some modifications on the coventry tiles course button and share my solution here:

• Changed code in renderers.php 
    • Lines 2024-2026: commented them out, because I didn't want to have the course title to be displayed twice
    • Line 2032: changed the value of the content to be displayed from 70 to 140. This depends on the font used and the sizing, obviously
  • Added some CustomCSS 
    • margin-top: because I have omitted the title line once I could shift it a bit up

.coursebox.panel.hover.covtiles .panel-body .coursebox-content div.summary {
margin-top: -5px;
font-size: 14px;
font-weight: 100;
line-height: normal;
max-width: 100%;
overflow: hidden;
text-overflow: ellipsis;
white-space: wrap;
}
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - Site Title

by Mary Evans -

I am getting this when adding a new site title when customising Adaptable using the settings...

I added Way to go... And it showed up as Way..

i then changed it to.

Where do you want to go to today?

That returned...

Where...

Why is there ellipsis add and why tge restriction width:50%; in the CSS?

Seems an odd thing to do especially if it is supposed o be a Site Title.

Confued...

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - Site Title

by Fernando Acedo -

It's a bug but it has a workaround:

#titlecontainer, #titlecontainer a, #titlecontainer p {
max-width: 100%;
}

[ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - Search box headder

by André Romijn -

Hi there,

How can I remove search box (search courses) in header or better: replace this with 'global search'?

André

In reply to André Romijn

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - Search box headder

by Fernando Acedo -

Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Adaptable > Header > Use Search Box or Social Icons
See the demo site for a different use.
Global search can be added as a block using the Blocks Layout Builder.

Re: Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - Search box headder

by André Romijn -

I have already switch to icon to disguise the search box. The Blocks Layout Builder  doesn’t do for me as I want a global search in the header on all pages….

Sent: 13 June 2016 15:50
To: André Romijn
Subject: Moodle in English: Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - Search box headder

Picture of Fernando Acedo

by Fernando Acedo - Monday, 13 June 2016, 3:19 PM

Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Adaptable > Header > Use Search Box or Social Icons
See the demo site for a different use.
Global search can be added as a block using the Blocks Layout Builder.

You can reply to this via email.

In reply to André Romijn

Re: Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - Search box headder

by Fernando Acedo -

The global search is a special feature in the last moodle version.

It only works with a block or the default moodle themes. You can copy the code from the block and add it to the Adaptable header.

It is not scheduled to add the Global Search in Adaptable due the server complexity. Not all the sites are ready for it and in any case needs it needs a special server.

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - Social icons

by diana palacios -

Hi Fernando, In the last update, I see that, the logo has change of 250x80 to 170x80. In the cellphone 7", now, the logo is very small and social icons are to the right of the screen and no below the logo where the whole was big, symmetrical and orderly. I think that before looked better.

Thanks for your comments

Regards.

by Niall Sheehan -

My 2 cents... Demo site is pretty much useless without credentials to log in and see how things work. 

In reply to Niall Sheehan

by Fernando Acedo -

If you open the demo site you could see the login credentials as student and teacher.

For security reasons admin credentials are not available. But if you open the README.txt file included in the Adaptable folder you will find the code used in the demo.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Diego Menacho Dorado -

Hi, we want to use this theme and we are testing it. But we have found two things we don't like related with icons' size and we don't know how to fix them, because we see different sizes in different browsers. We are using Moodle 3.0 and Adaptable 1.2.1. And for example, if we use Firefox, is almost perfect, but if we use Chrome then icons can should like you can see in the attached picture, and is even worse if we see it in Internet Explorer.

iconos calificaciones adaptable

iconos insignias adaptable

In reply to Diego Menacho Dorado

by Fernando Acedo -

Thanks Diego to select Adaptable for your moodle project.

Did you add any custom CSS rule?

Can you find the same issue in the frontpage or any other activity?

Adaptable is always tested in Chrome and Firefox (not in IE) and no issues reported about icons until now.

Also, try to update Adaptable to version 1.2.3

by Ricardo Groiso -

Hi

I have doubts in the footer:
1 - You can put a block in the footer?
2 - Because when "Enable Editção Block" does not appear the areas of footer blocks. How do I show areas?
3 - I would put the icons of http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons to identify address, phone, email, etc ... but to put the informed Code:

<i class="fa fa-building"></i>  High St. 100<br>
<span style="margin-left: 20px;">123456 City</span><br><br>
<i class="fa fa-phone"></i> +12 (3)456 78 90<br>
<i class="fa fa-envelope"></i> info@mail.com<br>
<i class="fa fa-globe"></i> www.example.com

there no icon.

Moodle: 3.1

Adaptable Theme:  1.2.3 - 2016052900

Thanks

Ricardo Groiso

In reply to Ricardo Groiso

by Fernando Acedo -

What editor are you using? Never use Atto to enter HTML content because it strips the i tags. Use tinyMCE instead.

This code works as you can see in the demo site: https://3-bits.com/demo/adaptable/

by Ricardo Groiso -

Hi,

I'm using HTML editor TinyMCE Editor - 3.5.11 and have no other html editor enabled.
after saving the above code looks like this:

<p>High St. 100<br /> <span style="margin-left: 20px;">123456 City</span><br /><br /> +12 (3)456 78 90<br /> info@mail.com<br /> www.example.com</p>

by Mary Evans -

hi you need to use the HTML part of the TinyMCE editor. Click the button that looks like this

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ricardo Groiso -
Hi, Mary,

I'm using HTML editor, so that you said, see image
Attachment footer.PNG

by Ricardo Groiso -

Hi,

How can I put a block in the footer?
Place I want to block categories of courses

Thanks

Ricardo

by Fernando Acedo -

You CAN'T add moodle blocks in the footer.

Use the existing content blocks where you can add any HTML code using the right editor. For some reason, your editor is stripping the <i> tags. 

What do you mean with: Place I want to block categories of courses ???

by Ricardo Groiso -

Hi,

Thank you, you have already answered.

Which table is recorded the edited information in the footer? Since my HTML editor, clears the tags, I try to edit directly in the table.

Thanks

by Ricardo Groiso -

I found the forum a way to edit HTML footer without losing the tags.

Look:

Yes. First, you edit your own profile and change the Text Editor from HTML to Plain text, then you can add any code into the Text area and the code will stay there. Just to be aware that: If other teacher edits this page accidentally without switch his/her profile to Plain text mode, your code will GONE!

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=319956

I hope you will help others

In reply to Mary Evans

Edit Login Page - [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi All,

I hope this is the proper forum to post this question.

We are using Moodle 3.1 with the lastest Adaptable theme.

We are using the Office 365 plugins to provide authentication, so I would like the Open ID connect icon be the obvious choice for the user to login.

Potentially I would like to add the OpenID Connect link to the header, and remove the login block.

Header Login

I am a total CSS / PHP neophyte, so any guidance would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Rene

In reply to Rene Ouellette

Re: Edit Login Page - [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS

by Fernando Acedo -

You can disable the login box and show only the login button.

If you want to add the icon beside the login button the you need to modify the header.php from line 176 to add the icon. I suggest you to add a FA icon instead an image.

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the reply.  I disabled the login form in the settings.

I guess my bigger issue is having a complete lack of knowing what I need to add to header.php to get the Office 365 auth link.

I guessed that I could use some of the php from index_form.html, but that seems to make the site inaccessible.

<?php if (!empty($potentialidps)) { ?>

<div class="subcontent potentialidps">

<h6><?php print_string('potentialidps', 'auth'); ?></h6>

<div class="potentialidplist">

<?php foreach ($potentialidps as $idp) {

echo  '<div class="potentialidp"><a href="' . $idp['url']->out() . '" title="' . $idp['name'] . '">' . $OUTPUT->render($idp['icon'], $idp['name']) . $idp['name'] . '</$

} ?>

</div>

</div>

<?php } ?>

I will keep plugging away at it, and see if I can get it figured out.

Rene

by Fernando Acedo -

Not sure where you get this code but it is not correct.

if you only want to add the icon (or image) beside the login button then convert this pseudo code to the needed HTML code in line 189:

a tag with link
icon or image
close a tag

Add CSS if needed in the Custom CSS Box. 

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Fernando,

I added a regular HTML link to our OIDC authentication system, and it works.  smile

The PHP in \login\index.php seems to check if you have different IDPs setup, and then adds them all to the login page.  I was trying to add the link this way, to allow them to show up automatically if they are configured.

We are probably only going to use this single authenticator, so I think this will work fine.

I also removed the login button entirely, as the only account using the login page would be the administrator account.

Thanks,

Rene

by Fernando Acedo -

Glad to hear it works. Hope next version will include the hide login button option.

Remember that you CAN'T upgrade Adaptable. Save the code added, upgrade and then add the code again.

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS -- Post Subject Please

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Fernando and Mary,

I appreciate your good work on the Adaptable Theme.

May I make a suggestion that you encourage everyone to change OR add the topic of their post to the subject line.

I get email from this forum and it all has the subject line as "Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS".

It is often difficult to know what the subject of the email is without opening the forum to see the post in context.

Since you have "Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS" set as the default, no one sees the need to add their topic of discussion to the subject line.

Thanks again,

Clarence

by Mary Evans -

Hi Clarence,

That was the idea that the moderators would Index the posts. Unfortunately not all the mods agreed with me and so I am left carrying the can. So I guess I need to fix stuff here then?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Emma Richardson -

We could just add a note to maybe add to the subject line.  I don't think there is anything that really needs fixing.  I still think a separate forum would be warranted but understand the view of not having too many forums too!  I get the posts via email so don't need to open forum unless there is something that needs done or I can help with.  I do notice that even this forum is getting incredibly lengthy too though.

by Fernando Acedo -

That is exactly the question. I personally receive more 200 daily messages from moodle forum only. I need to separate those related to Adaptable from the rest.

If it is marked as Adaptable in the subject then I can reply asap. If not, I open the moodle forum maybe once or twice a day, so my reply will be delayed. I'm sorry but I have other affairs to attend and I can't wait front the screen waiting a question about Adaptable (BTW, there is another support thread in the Spanish forum)

I need also to separate the messages for internal support management. So it is not only a reply question. It is more complex.

Could someone warrant all the messages related to Adaptable will include Adaptable in the subject?  No. So this the reason of only one thread.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Chris Andrews -

Hi Adaptable Team,

I have been testing adaptable on a couple of sandpit sites in the hope to use it soon on some of my schools live sites but I am currently having a problem with the main Navbar. When my sites are first loaded the Navbar does not appear, but as soon as you login or move to another page on the site the Navbar appears. We would like the Navbar to be present all the time.

Has this been designed this way or is this a problem with my site? Do you have any advice on how I can fix this?

Kind Regards,

Chris Andrews

In reply to Chris Andrews

by Fernando Acedo -

The Navbar menus are only for authenticated users. If you want to add menus for guests use the top menu bar. See the demo for a sample.

by Chris Andrews -

Hi Fernando, Thanks for your reply. That would be fine, except that the top menu bar does not seem to appear on mobile devices (this appears to be the case on your demo site also). So for unauthenticated users on mobile devices, this theme gives me no menu options.

In reply to Chris Andrews

by Fernando Acedo -

This is right. Menus are only available for registered users in the mobile view to simplify the layout.

by Chris Andrews -

Thanks for your reply Fernando. I think the solution for me might just be to use a different theme for mobile devices.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Guy Veyssière -

Hello,
First sorry for my bad English...

I use the theme adaptable with Moodle 3.1 in French. I want my frontpage to present as : https://moodle.org/pluginfile.php/50/local_plugins/plugin_screenshots/1552/adaptable-select.png

I found this information Administration / Appearance / Themes / Frontpage courses and it is written to use The default image When no image is found running , ( Applies only for Tiles w / overlay) and when I use taht, it's the same image for every sourse, of course . I don't have to modify my image, Moodle do that above all it seems it is possible to do this automatically , Moodle can find such images . Is this possible and how can I do that ?
I do thank you for your answers !
Guy
In reply to Guy Veyssière

by Fernando Acedo -

I think you are mixing concepts.

The course tiles in the frontpage use the image that you add in the course settings.

The image you posted shows Marketing blocks that you can create using the builder. The Marketing blocks use HTML to create the content and you can add text, image and video.

by Guy Veyssière -

Hi, thank you for the answer,

At the beginning I beleived it was a problem of marketing blocs and I've tried that, but il was not the solution I imagined.
When I look et several Moodle sites, it seems that this presentation was made automatically and if it is not that, what can mean : The default image to use when no course image is found, (only applies for Tiles w/ overlay) where this kind of images can be found and what happen with them ?
Guy

by Fernando Acedo -

Could you clarify what you want to do?

Add marketing blocks?

or

add courses with images?

by Guy Veyssière -

In fact may be I only want to understand this sentence in Adaptable :

"The default image to use when no course image is found, (only applies for Tiles w/ overlay)" the part no course image is found and of course, where these images can be found.

Guy

by Fernando Acedo -

Not sure what I can explain. The sentence is really clear.

You can display your own images or a default image in the course tiles. That's all.

Read my previous message to find the default image.

by Guy Veyssière -

Well... So I've made a mistake because of my english... "The default image to use when no course image is found", it's because of this "is found" so I did'nt thought it's me who find, but Moodle, and I asked where can it found these images...

It's not very important, I stop my investigations about that and I'll use an ordinary front page.

Thank you.

Guy

by Mary Evans -

Hi Guy, 

I think I can explain the part that you find confusing.

The course image mentioned in that statement relates to the image file added when setting up a course. It is in that part of the course administration menu on a course page that says 'Edit settings'. Clicking on that link you can upload an image file if there is none, or delete the image that is there and replace it with another. as well as update the course summary. All the information in that form is used in the Frontpage course list that displays those tiles.

So if there is no image added by the admin, the default image set by this theme will be used instead.

Does that make it any clearer?

In the mean time I will look at the wording of that theme setting as it looks to be a bit confusing.

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Guy Veyssière -

Hi Mary !

Of course it's clear and I beleive it's what I understood at the beginning. I had not the information where to put these images in the courses and I've tried some way without success. Now I know smile Actually I have no time to verify but I'm sure it'll work find and this night or to-morrow it'll be marvelous smile because of your help.

I do thank you.

The guy Guy

In reply to Mary Evans

by Guy Veyssière -

Mary,

In fact I'm not sure there is a confusion, between what and what ? In my humble opinion, a short explanation where these files are or have to be, and all is clear. By example if Moodle don't find images in this place (and may be the way to put them there), so it uses the default one.

Well, after a translation in english smile

Guy

by Mary Evans -

Once again, just to make sure we both speak the same language?
The person who creates the course should also add the image at the same time.
That is if you want a specific image associated with the course, OK?

Mary

Une fois de plus, juste pour nous assurer que nous sommes tous deux parlons la même langue?
La personne qui crée le cours devrait également ajouter l'image en même temps.
C'est si vous voulez une image spécifique associé au cours, D'accord?

https://docs.moodle.org/3x/fr/Param%C3%A8tres_du_cours

In reply to Mary Evans

by Marc ANDRES -

Thanks you Mary for your help about the icon/image for each course.

One think I don't know is: what the icon/image can be added in the description of the course.

In a course, I have seen the menu Edit Settings where I define the title of the course (and many other thinks).

BUT I do not see the parameter to include the specific icon for my course.

In which Tab, it is define ?

• General
  • Description
  • Course format
  • Appearance

I have supposed that the tab will be Appearance but I do not see the parameter.

Thanks for your answer.

Marc

Attachment HelpImageSupport.png
In reply to Marc ANDRES

by Fernando Acedo -

You can add the image displayed in the course tiles in "Course Summary Files" in the course settings.

Or you can insert an image in the course description and Adaptable will use the default image in all the course tiles but will display the image in the description.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Guy Veyssière -

This guy, again

May be it's useful to say that these images must be in the Course summary files window and may be in the parameters pages  it's enough to write : If Moodle don't find image in the course summary files parameter.

And it is possible to do that after creation of a course, not only during creation.

And now, it works fine and all is good an very easy for me.

cool

by Fernando Acedo -

The images used by Adaptable in the course tiles are the moodle default. These images can be used by many other themes, not only Adaptable.

The Adaptable feature is to use a default image in case you didn't add any to the course settings.

Sincerely, I don't see the need to clarify the description because a course creator or admin should know the course settings and all the options you have like add an image and change it later if needed.

by Guy Veyssière -

Hello,

In fact I have one more question. When I use this way to show the course on the frontpage, the images are on lines and they are three on each line.

Is there a way to change that, by example four on a line or there is no way ?

Thank you.

Guy

by Fernando Acedo -
Guy,

the number of courses per row is hardcoded in the theme and can't be modified easily.

Maybe in the future it could be a setting.

by bobby demers -

Hi Fernando

Yes, I know where the default image is and I have put one there to show across all the courses that pop up on the front page.

The problem is it's not displaying the images that have been placed into Course Administration/Edit Settings/Course Summary.

Just to confirm, is this the correct place to put the image?

To aid troubleshooting why it's not working:

Is there a specific (or even a recommended) size to use for the picture?

Does it need to be a specific file format? (.jpeg/.png etc etc)?

Thanks for your assistance on this. Sorry if I keep going on about it.....the admin staff have been asking for this feature for ages so I'm trying to get it sorted to keep them and the management happy!! smile

In reply to bobby demers

by Mary Evans -

Hi Bobby,

Assuming the image file that you are talking about, is  the one that was uploaded using the file picker in the area set aside for course files when setting up a course or when editing it using the Edit settings option in Course administration when on a course page?

The file can be .jpg (preferred as it is a smaller files) .png, .gif

Te only one you cannot add are .svg file type.

If you can clarify this, then if that image is not being used it looks like there is a bug in the system.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by bobby demers -

Hi Mary.

Thanks for the clarifications smile

Based on your feedback, I put the picture into the Course Summary files, then linked to that in the Course Summary itself and it worked!!

Thank you very much for this, and I hope it this simple explanation will assist others in how to get this to happen on their Moodle smile

Regards 

bobby

In reply to bobby demers

by Fernando Acedo -

This is the right place to add the image. Purge caches or enable design mode to ensure is not cached and clean your browser cache as well. .

Images format are the usual in moodle as Mary replied you.

The size should be the size of the tile. 640 x 480 px is usually enough. The images is always re-scaled if needed.

Hope it helps. But I'm sure it is not a bug because add an image is a common task an it works well.

by Niall Sheehan -

Good morning Guy,

Each course has a section called Course Summary Files, this is where you save the course image file that is displayed on the Frontpage Courses.

picture

The setting you are asking about allows you to have a 'default image' should there not be an image provided for a course and is only used on the Frontpage.

The result is:

Hope this helps

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS Carousel

by Raymond All -

Is there a way to make feed carousel in Adaptable theme from site news forum?

In reply to Raymond All

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS Carousel

by Fernando Acedo -

No. This should be done using some block. Not sure if already exists some block for it.

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS: change frontpage for unauthenticated users to 2-columns

by Alexander Lebeth -

Adaptable is a great theme, thank you for that.

In the old BCU theme for not-logged-in users the frontpage was two-column, in the left sidebar there was the frontpage-summary. Now, after updating to Adaptable the frontpage for not-logged-in users is just one column, the frontpage summary (/admin/settings.php?section=frontpagesettings) appers below the middle content.

How can i change the layout to the 2-column style prevoiusly used in BCU?

In reply to Alexander Lebeth

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS: change frontpage for unauthenticated users to 2-columns

by Fernando Acedo -

Alexander, thanks for using Adaptable in your moodle project.

Adaptable has exactly the same page structure than BCU. All the pages use the 2-columns structure. So not sure what you mean.

The content inside this structure is different because Adaptable includes many more features like the blocks and marketing blocks builders.

Take a look to the layout.png file included in /adaptable/pix to see the existing layout.

by Alexander Lebeth -

Dear Fernando,

okay, the problem is solved, the bunch of new features confused me at first. Thank you!

In reply to Mary Evans

Use a mirror for google fonts

by Alexander Lebeth -

Since our site is hosted in china, google services are instable or blocked at all. So we need to replace the google-fonts url with one of the mirror fonts.useso.com. What's the best way to replace the URL for all google web-fonts?

In reply to Alexander Lebeth

Re: Use a mirror for google fonts

by Fernando Acedo -

We have the same problem with a client also located in China. The only way is modifying these lines in layout/header.php: 114, 124 and 134.

Change the URL and then should work. But be aware that you will need to change the URL if you update Adaptable in the future.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Stefan Els -

Hi Guys

I would like to have a block related to logging in on the Moodle frontpage. This block would be irrelevant once the user has logged in so I would like it (or the entire row) to disappear once the use has logged in. That leads me to my question(s):

• Is there a way to have a row of marketing blocks disappear once a user logs in?
  • Alternatively, is there a way to have a row of region blocks disappear once a user logs in?
  • Failing that, is there a way to have the course blocks show up on the user dashboard?

I'd really appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

In reply to Stefan Els

by Mary Evans -

You could try reading all about the Admin settings for when setting up the Dashboard.

https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Dashboard#Setting_the_default_Dashboard

In reply to Mary Evans

by Stefan Els -

Hi Mary

Thanks for the response. There are so many settings to go through, I'm always worried it's hiding somewhere that I haven't seen before! I looked through the page you recommended, and I couldn't find the exact setting you were referring to.

If there's no way to hide the blocks on the front page, I'd like to put the adaptable theme's course tiles (see below) for all the courses on the site on their dashboard. It's an inelegant solution, since the front page would still ask them to sign-in after they've signed in, but at least then they can be directed to their dashboard to find courses to enrol in.

Let me know if I've missed something and thanks again for the help!

In reply to Stefan Els

by Fernando Acedo -

Take a look to the demo site. You can see the blocks only after log in. It is a simple permissions trick. Not related with the theme.

by Stefan Els -

Thanks Fernando and Mary, this solved my problem!

In reply to Stefan Els

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

To add a Login block just go to the Frontpage (Home) link and then in the Administration block click on Front page > Turn editing on.

In the side blocks area you will see the "ADD BLOCK" block. Scroll the little menu in that block and select the Login block. With editing still on you can move this Login block to the position you want it to be on the page.

Turn editing OFF and the Login block is not visible. Logout and go to the front page and you should see the Login block in the position you set for it.

As for all the other blocks each block has a settings page that allows you to customise each it.

The blocks are the Admin or Managers or whoever has permission, is responsible for the block. It is they who decide where the blocks go and when they are visible. The blocks can be made visible before login and hidden after. You can set them to appear on every page or just the current page or just the front page.

Here is a link to the Moodle Docs Blocks page

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Stefan Els -

Thanks, that sounds like it will solve my problem so I'll look into that!

In reply to Stefan Els

by Fernando Acedo -

I try to answer your questions:

Is there a way to have a row of marketing blocks disappear once a user logs in?

No, but you can use moodle blocks instead marketing blocks and apply user permissions.

Alternatively, is there a way to have a row of region blocks disappear once a user logs in?

No, but you can use again moodle blocks instead marketing blocks and apply user permissions.

Failing that, is there a way to have the course blocks show up on the user dashboard?

No for the moment. It has been requested and think how it could be.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Victor Santos -

Hello,

I just installed this theme! for my first impression everything is working and looking nice except the menu as you can see in the image.

How can I fix that?

Thank you.

menu

In reply to Mary Evans

by Olga Kim -

Hello, after updating moodle to 3.1 I can't see little check boxes in Chrome browser. If I open the same page in Firefox, I can see them. I need to understand why, because I put into courses a lot of check boxes, they are all invisible now in Chrome.

Chrome

Firefox

In reply to Olga Kim

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

It's Chrome and not the theme. So stick with Firefox...forget Chrome.

Chrome was originally built to use with Windows instead of Internet Explorer, but things have got better with IE11 and Edge and so if you find Chrome is wrong then try IE11 and see what that works like?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Just H -

It's Chrome and not the theme. So stick with Firefox...forget Chrome.

Not sure I'd take that advice. Admittedly, browser stats tend to be a reflection of the type of site, but no matter what way you cut it, "forgetting"Chrome is a bad idea unless you don't care about your users or control what browser they use..

------

------

------

------

Obviously for testing and troubleshooting people should be testing cross browser.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Just H

by Fernando Acedo -

Chrome and Firefox can't be ignored because actually are more 75% of the market. IE/Edge is no more 15%.

That is the reason Adaptable is developed using Firefox and tested using Chrome. So your last affirmation is correct: Adaptable is developed and tested using cross browsing. But it doesn't mean that could be a bug in Adaptable and even in Bootstrapbase.

In reply to Just H

by Mary Evans -

And that mean what? Statistics can lie!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Fernando Acedo -

Yes, you are right. But in this case is really difficult to cheat the stats. And not only in one site, hundred of them. Doesn't matter where the server is located, FF and Chrome are about 75% of the market and IE/Edge less 15%.

Anyway, we are investigating the issue because for now looks more a BS problem than Adaptable.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Just H -

It simply means that telling someone to ignore a browser that has the largest market share is bad advice.

In reply to Just H

by Mary Evans -

I do not think that telling someone to stick with the browser that works well with a Moodle theme is bad advice, I personally think it is the complete opposite.

I do not like Chrome, in fact I have nothing good to say about it. I much prefer FireFox. Indeed FireFox + XP + Moodle 2.0+ was likened to a hot knife through butter so fast and sure was it in those days!

In reply to Olga Kim

by Fernando Acedo -

Thanks for reporting this issue. I see that it happens in a 3rd party module. i will try to replicate it because we didn't notice it before.

In reply to Olga Kim

by Mary Evans -

Hi Olga,

Does this problem only relate to the form in the BigBlueButton Blocks page?

Or is it anywhere where tick boxes happen to be displayed, such as course completion, for example?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Olga Kim

by Mary Evans -

Hi Olga,

I am using the most uptodate version of Moodle 3.1.1

What version of Chrome are you using?

I have just found and installed Chrome Version 51.0.2704.106 m (64-bit) and can find no fault with check boxes.

They are all there!

If you are using an older version then try upgrading, if on the other hand you are using the latest version of Chrome then it looks like a regression, so perhaps need reporting?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Olga Kim

by Fernando Acedo -

I tested the BBB activity in moodle 3.1 and Adaptable 1.2.3 with Chrome Version 51.0.2704.106 (64-bit) and all the elements are displayed including the checkbox. Also tested using FF 47.

So I can't replicate the problem. All is working well.

by Mary Evans -

I forgot to say I also downloaded the BIGblueBbuttonBN too and could not replicate the promblem.

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - Login Page

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi All,

Not sure this is a design problem for Adaptable or maybe something that should be in a more generic forum.

Moodle 3.1.1

Adapatable 1.2.3

We are using the Open ID Connect modules to authenticate to Office 365.  I have added a link in the header to access the login for our users.

There are times when they are re-directed to the login page, and the default setup would lead people to use the login form to login.  This wouldn't work, as there are no local accounts.

I know it is bad practice to edit the Moodle core, and is a pain for updating.  Is it possible to edit the look using CSS in Adaptable or even just using custom css?

would like to edit the login page to that the manual account entry would be less visible.

Current

Desired

See example in attachment

by Fernando Acedo -

No, this is not possible without modify the core or create a new renderer to overwrite the existing.

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

If I am reading this correctly, then there is an option in the Admin settings (not quite sure where without looking it up) whereby you can add a custom login page, as lots of organisations do use alternative logins.

I'll do a search and get back to you.

Edit: Managing authentication

Hope this helps?

Mary

by Mary Evans -

Hi Rene,

Further to my last comment earlier today, I have just found that there is a Moodle Plugin which, if you have not already got it, the OpenID Connect Plugin looks to be the answer you are looking for!

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Shaminda Perera -

Breadcrumbs: After downloading the new release, I cannot change the breadcrumbs style. There is no colour picker fir "active breadcrumbs." I know it was there in the previous version. Am I looking for it in the wrong place or is this a required theme bug fix? Thanks guys, Vetch Admin.

In reply to Shaminda Perera

by Fernando Acedo -

The breadcrumb has been changed in version 1.2.3 due to some incompatibilities.

See previous posts for more information.

by Ratana Lim -

I have a solution on the breadcrumb issue for version 1.2.3 w/Moodle 3.1.x.  I posted the changes I've made on bitbucket wiki  https://bitbucket.org/aerorat/ucsb_moodle-theme_adaptable/wiki/css_breadcrumb.  After the changes, if all goes well, it should look like this (colors depends on your settings):  breadcrumb image

In reply to Ratana Lim

by Mary Evans -

Looks good but there is an error in the markup. You left a space in one of the settings. 

color: [[setting: breadcrumbtextcolor]]

Mary

In reply to Ratana Lim

by Fernando Acedo -

Could you pull a request to our repo and then we could test it and add it to the theme?

It looks well but the old breadcrumb had several issues due a wrong javascript code. This is the reason we developed a new one. 

by Carol Howells -

Hi Fernando is this a request for me? Also what is the repo please?

Thanks for your help

In reply to Mary Evans

by Elton LaClare -

I've been using this theme for several months and find that it's really fantastic for creating a dynamic and visually interesting site. I hesitate to call this a design problem, but I did notice that occasionally the Flavicon that I uploaded is replaced with the standard Adaptable theme Flavicon. At the moment, the only context where I'm certain this happens is while editing the contents of a Lesson. Navigating the lesson causes no problems. Clicking the 'edit page contents' also causes no problems. However, if you click the 'Edit' tab that appears at the top of a lesson page and then click the gear icon of a particular page within the lesson, then the substitution occurs. I also noticed that if you click either the 'Reports' or 'Grade Essay' tab, the Flavicon will be replaced by a generic icon that looks like the outline of a sheet of paper.

In case the explanation is not clear, here are the steps to replicate the problem:

1) create a lesson

2) add content or question pages

3) enter the lesson as an admin (or other role with editing permissions)

4) click the 'Edit' tab

5) click the gear icon of one of the pages and the bug should appear

*It's worth noting that the issue mentioned here does not occur with perfect consistency. One or two pages in my lesson displayed the appropriate Flavicon. Others displayed the Adaptable Flavicon, and still others showed a generic icon. 

I hope this doesn't turn into a wild goose chase...

Thanks for a great theme!

In reply to Elton LaClare

by Fernando Acedo -

The favicon (this is what I understand you mean) is loaded in the header and Adaptable is using always the same file. So the file used must be always the same.

Anyway I tested the issue and can't replicate it.

Favicon issues are usually more related to browser cache than scripts. Clear the browser cache and try to replicate the issue. Firefox manage better favicons than Chrome.

by Mary Evans -

Further to this, I would say that if your operating system is Windows based like XP or Vista then here is a link to a  blog post called Fun with Favicons which you may find helpful? If you do read it, and I urge you to do so, you will find a section that deals with Favicon caching.

Cheers

Mary

by Elton LaClare -

Thank you. I cleared the caches as recommended and the issues with the favicon resolved themselves. Thank you for your help.

In reply to Elton LaClare

by Diane Soini -

We've had similar problems. Clicking on a file in a course also gives you the default adaptable theme icon, not the one we uploaded through the UI. I believe it is because there are numerous ways that the favicon is rendered, with fallbacks in case an icon can't be found. We have had to replace the favicon in adaptable and also in the clean theme so that if a fallback is used, it's not some default icon.

In reply to Diane Soini

by Fernando Acedo -

We tried to reply the issue was not possible. 

Adaptable itself has not a fallback for favicon. The file is loaded in the header.php and used by all the pages.

Could you explain what fallback you mean?

Did you have the same issue with Clean?

by Diane Soini -

Well, I'm new to moodle so I tried following the code around and I'm not sure where I was able to find other places where favicons are produced.

There are places where adaptable theme simply doesn't seem to set the favicon at all. Here are steps I've been able to reproduce:

1. Add a file to a course that opens in a new window. I uploaded a pdf file.

2. Click on the file to view it. It opens in a new window with a favicon other than the one set by adaptable. It appears this icon for this comes from whatever is set in the server config.

I don't think this is the fault of adapable at all. I think it's the fault of this plugin.

In any case, I think it turns out we solved our favicon problems by changing the favicon for the root (our moodle runs in a subdirectory). And also since we allow courses to select other themes, we had to also change the favicon of the other themes. And for good measure we changed the adaptable theme's favicon, too.

In reply to Diane Soini

by Fernando Acedo -

Could you test it using Clean?

I think this is not a theme issue and more related to moodle when open new windows.

by Diane Soini -

Yes, it's not a theme issue. It might seem so to someone frustrated that the favicon isn't the same everywhere throughout the site which is why I offered my input.

For a file activity--clicking on a pdf file, the favicon doesn't come from the clean theme, either. It comes from the server default (/favicon.ico). I think this is because the script that displays the file doesn't make a call to any favicon at all.

It's still a mystery to me why our production server was showing the adaptable icon for files in the first place, though. My test server couldn't reproduce this. Our solution ended up being to put the desired favicon everywhere possible. Maybe a bit of a sledgehammer, but it worked.

In reply to Diane Soini

by Fernando Acedo -

I saw this problem in servers using Plesk control panel. But I never seen before in a simple LAMP server because they don't have any fallback favicon file.

Do you have an .htaccess file in your directory?

In that case, could you verify Apache is not forcing a default favicon?

Something like this:

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^(.*)favicon\.ico /favicon.ico [L]

by Diane Soini -
We have a favicon.ico file right in the root but no .htaccess file. The favicon's date stamp is the other day when the problem was fixed.

My guess is (since I'm new here) is that previously someone simply copied the favicon from adapatable without looking at it and that's probably how the default one ended up looking like adaptable's default favicon.

In reply to Mary Evans

by iskye silverweb -

On Moodle 3.1.1, with Adaptable version 1.2.3, I ran the site through a Section 508 validator and it complained about two things, both involve invalid HTML coding, so I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

First item is that there are several cases of alt attributes inside link elements (<a alt="facebook"...>) that pop up in the header social area.  The alt attribute isn't needed anyway; there is a title there. 

The other problem I run into is with a link item as a child of a <ul> - the link item needs to be inside a <li>, and this is showing up in the breadcrumbs:

1. <div class="container outercont">
  2. <div id="page-content" class="row-fluid">
  3. <div id="page-navbar" class="span12">
  4. <nav class="breadcrumb-button"></nav>
  5. <ul class="breadcrumb"><a href="https://example.moodlesite.com/"><i class="fa fa-home fa-lg"></i></a></ul> </div>
These things break the compliance with Section 508. There might be others but those are the ones that I saw today... hopefully easily sorted in the next release of the Adaptable theme.
In reply to iskye silverweb

by Fernando Acedo -

Thanks for your comment. You are right, this is not a valid syntax. I will ad the issue for next release.

by iskye silverweb -

Thank you!  I used your theme as a proof of concept this could work as a Section 508 valid theme for my organisation, and I am very happy to know you do support your theme.  I will check through and see if there are any other issues with accessibility validation. 

And again, thank you for a really really nice theme that is so configurable and beautiful.

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] Changing icons

by Dave Foord -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I am working with an organisation where language skills are poor, so the use of icons is very important. In the user drown menu bar, the icon for 'Private Files' is a piece of paper with corner turned over, whereas the icon in the Private files block is a 'folder' icon. - see screenshot below (ignore the fact I have changed language pack to put 'My' infront of everything).

I would like it so the icons are the same - is there a way to change one or the other icons?

Screenshot of my private files

In reply to Dave Foord

Re: [ADAPTABLE] Changing icons

by Fernando Acedo -

Yes, it is an inconsistency in the icons. I will open an issue to change the menu icon. I think the right is the folder icon.

Thanks for reporting it.

In reply to Mary Evans

Fonts

by Diane Soini -

This isn't really a problem with Adaptable, but one you can get because Adaptable lets you choose fonts. If you choose to use a font that doesn't contain the glyphs for arrow html entity characters  (&#x25BA; and &#x25C4;), some versions of Chrome will show little squares instead of the left/right arrows. This affects the little calendar block and onetopic format left/right arrows. CSS like this can fix it:

.rarrow, .larrow, .arrow  {
     font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
}
In reply to Diane Soini

Re: Fonts

by Fernando Acedo -

We tested with many Google fonts and never seen this issue but you are right that some fonts set doesn't includes this characters so the best choice is to fix the font to Helvetica.

I will open an issue to change the font.

Thanks for reporting it.

by Mary Evans -

Are you sure that Helvetica should be set as default for all? I thought, and I think this is still true, that Helvetica was only true as default for MAC OS. Ariel is/was the default that Windows use.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Fernando Acedo -

Mary, you are right, Helvetica is used by MAc but if you take a look to any theme the body contains Helvetica inherited from YUI:

body {
    font-family: "Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;
}
The fallback for Windows is Arial and Linux will use sans-serif.

From my point of view this is a mistake. Helvetica is a commercial font and should be replaced for an open source font instead. 

by Fernando Acedo -

BTW, does somebody from HQ knows this issue? 

moodle is trying to display a commercial font in themes from very long time ago (I think from version 1.9 or even before) breaking the GPL license.

by Diane Soini -

In our case we use Roboto and only one person in our office has the problem. Nobody else does. Very inconsistent.

In reply to Diane Soini

by Fernando Acedo -

Does other fonts work well or is only Roboto?

Do you have some rule in the computer firewall to block external sites? Adaptable load the fonts from Google.

This could be a nonsense but is a real problem. Is this user located in China?

by Diane Soini -

I don't know if other fonts work well or not. We are all in California and it only affected one person and only Chrome. I am right next to her on the same subnet and also have Chrome and wasn't affected. I don't think it is a theme issue as much as a browser issue and thought I would mention it to anybody who thinks it's a theme issue. The code for the arrows isn't even in the theme, it's in moodle core. And god knows Chrome has a lot of issues.

In reply to Diane Soini

by Fernando Acedo -

Could be possible the user have installed Roboto in his computer?

by Diane Soini -

She sees the problem on two computers actually. We were able to check one:

Mac OS Yosemite 10.10.5

Chrome 51.02704.103

Roboto font not installed

Adobe Creative Cloud is installed.

If she can get her other computer's information I'll let you know.

In reply to Diane Soini

by Fernando Acedo -

If the rest of users have similar configurations and are connected to the same network is really strange that "only one" user has this issue.

So i will try to know what this user is running apart in her computers. Another option is a firewall because Google Fonts are located in an external site.

I verified the Google Fonts issue tracker and couldn't find any issue related to Roboto and Mac. 

I'm sure the reason is located outside moodle, probably network or internal configuration.

by Diane Soini -

Yeah, the source is not from Moodle or Adaptable. It may have something to do with creative cloud because you can load your own copy of fonts. But it's still not certain that is the reason. In any case, it is solved by overriding the fonts using the special CSS input field in the Adaptable theme, ensuring that a default regular font like arial or helvetica is used. If all themes had this, it would be great because you could so easily override things like this!

We have found more classes in more places that we fixed this way as well. Depending on the plugins installed, you have to search high and low for all the ways html entity arrows are produced and what classes you can use to target them with your CSS.

by Diane Soini -

Her other computer:

OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6

Chrome 52.0.2743.116

No Roboto font installed.

Has Adobe Creative Cloud installed.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Alok Shukla -

In Adoptable theme 2.9 , picture size of front page slider not customize.Please guide me.

In reply to Alok Shukla

by Diane Soini -

The slider will be the size that your images are, scaling smaller with screen size. You need to use an image editor to make them the size you want first.

In reply to Alok Shukla

by Fernando Acedo -

Images are resized automatically. Best size is 1900px (or higher) x 500px

If you use a 800 x 600px then the result will be really bad. 

In reply to Mary Evans

by Marko Marko -
The button "Turn editing on" disappear. I'm using M3.0

I have it on the Administration block, but it's handy to have it on the navbar.

Please help ---- Thanks!

In reply to Marko Marko

by Fernando Acedo -

When disappear? Are you logged as an user that can edit?

Please, a screenshot will help to understand the issue.

In reply to Mary Evans

Adaptable language menu and marketing boxes

by Matt Townend -

Hi - great theme - hoping to use as my front page in replacement of Archaius. however a couple of issues which may be easy to fix...

one is the language options at the top where the fonts appear as white on mobile (not desktop) no matter what i change. The fact that its mobile onky suggests its an omitted option. Any way to change this or custom CSS to change it?

The other issues is when testing on mobile there is an annoying white gap beside the marketing boxes - on the right on an iphone. and samsung - actually just teated on samsung and the header slider is also displaced to fhe left with a big white gap. Any way to deal with these spacing issues for mobile?

Many thanks - wanted to take a pic to show but the upload limit makes it tricky with mobile screenies.

In reply to Matt Townend

Re: Adaptable language menu and marketing boxes

by Fernando Acedo -

Thanks for using Adaptable in your moodle project.

The language heading menu with background and text in white looks a regression in some point. We will try to fix it for next release scheduled for this month.

The marketing blocks gap is an issue related to the layout issue. We are working on it and will be fixed soon.

In reply to Mary Evans

by A. A. -

Hi, when I upgraded to the newest version of Adaptable theme, the site title is not showed completely (it is only 9 characters long), even if I select  a smaller size for the font (18px) and choose the title width as 80%.

Moreover, when I use a logo image, it does not appear, using the site title instead.

Thanks for helping.

In reply to A. A.

by Fernando Acedo -

That was a bug and is already fixed in our repository. A new release with  this fix will be published soon in moodle.

In reply to A. A.

by Fernando Acedo -

Yes, this is right. You need to enable the footer blocks (in fact the footer) and enable the Moodle Docs link in moodle and also in Adaptable to display the link.

In reply to Mary Evans

by A. A. -

Hi,

I want to show Categories and courses on the Frontpage, both when not logged in and when logged in.

I personalized the frontpage for this, but have two different layouts, as you can see from the two images attached.

When not logged in, I have the Categories title  (called Cursos in this case) that stay apart in the top of the pages and the list of categories that starts only at the end of the left side blocks, so staying separated from the Categories Title.

When logged in, the layout changes and the list of categories lies immediately under the Categories Title, as it should be.

Have anybody a suggestion on how to correct this problem?

Thanks

Attachment Frontpage.png
In reply to A. A.

by Fernando Acedo -

Adaptable doesn't support course tiles in the categories view. You must use the default moodle option.

by A. A. -

Hi Fernando,

I am not talking about course "Tiles", I am only saying that in the frontpage, when not loggedin, the categories title (in this case it's called Cursos) is showed separated from the list of categories.

But it does show correctly on the frontpage, when loggedin.

Have a look at the two screenshots attached to the post to better understand my concern.

Thanks

In reply to A. A.

by Fernando Acedo -

I see the blocks displaced. This is a bug that we are fixing and will be published soon.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Marcelo Gulin -

Hi Guys!

I am running lastest Moodle (3.1.1+ - Build 20160817) and recently upgraded my theme from BCU to Adaptable 1.2.3 (2016052900) following these instructions https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=326470. Now I'm having some issues with the homepage when no user is logged in. Attached 1 image that show on the left side the homepage with no user logged in and the right side with admin user logged in... 

Thanks in advance,

Marcelo 

Attachment screenshot.jpg
In reply to Marcelo Gulin

by Fernando Acedo -

Thanks for your comment. We are aware of this bug and working to fix it. It is more complex as expected because have impact in the mobile view too. I hope to release a new version at the end of this week.

by Marcelo Gulin -

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for your answer and I hope you can fix this issue permanently. As a temporary workaround, I've changed line 99 on the theme layout file frontpage.php from:

echo '<section id="region-main">';

to:

echo '<section id="region-main" class="span9 desktop-first-column">';

this make the if (!isloggedin()) statement totaly unfunctional/unnecessary but for me it is working as expected.

Thanks again,

Marcelo Gulin

In reply to Marcelo Gulin

by Fernando Acedo -

Thanks Marcelo. This is the solution we are working in development. Hope to get a new release soon.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Marc ANDRES -

Hello,

I only want to use the "look&feel" of the theme ADAPTABLE twice:

- with two different logos

- with two selections of colours

I suppose that I have to duplicate the theme ADAPTABLE. Is it the correct Way of Working ?

If Yes, How do I perform the duplication of the theme ?

Regards,

Marc

In reply to Marc ANDRES

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Assuming you are using one instance of Moodle, you could probably be able to do this in Adaptable. However, it would depend largely on what your needs are that dictates two distinct logos and colour schemes?

Can you explain more fully what it is you would like to do?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Marc ANDRES -

Hello Mary,

I want to test the same instance of Moodle to be used by two entities of my company.

I want to use the same theme (ADAPTABLE) but with two look&feels (selection of logos, selection of colours...).

Then, these two entities could imagine that they have two instances of Moodle.

In fact, I want to use two instances of the theme ADAPTABLE in the same instance of Moodle.

Marc

In reply to Marc ANDRES

by Mary Evans -

In that case then I think it would be safer to make two minimalist themes of Adaptable.

The method is like the Decafe green theme which is documented.

Ill see if I can root it out for you?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Evans -

These files are the minimal requirement needed to make a minimalist theme.

https://github.com/pauln/moodle-theme_decaf_green

PLEASE NOTE

If you intend to try this out, the file names in that list are the files you need from ADAPTABLE

Decafe_green is a child theme of Decaf

So think of your child theme as adapt_min1 

more to follow...

and here are the basic instructions which maps out the changes you need to make.

https://github.com/pauln/moodle-theme_decaf_green/wiki/Inheriting-from-Decaf

In the mean time I'll have a go doing this and see if it is possible with a

Adaptable...

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Marc ANDRES

by Fernando Acedo -

You might create a child theme and set different settings.

This is not an easy task due the theme complexity. Some pending task is to create a sample child theme but not in the next future.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Pierre Suter -

Weird behaviour for bold text depending on chosen font.

I'm using Moodle 3.1.1+ together with Adaptable 1.2.3+. Clearing theme caches after every settings change.

In the Adaptable >> Fonts settings I chose Istok Web from Google as my main font, header font etc. and was playing around with the different font weights e.g., "Main font weight", "Header font weight". Finally I found some settings where everything seemed fine in Firefox (see picture).

Istik Web - Firefox/Chrome comparison

But switching to Chrome revealed that I wasn't able to see the bold text (picture above). After several tries I managed to see bold text in Chrome but, as you already guessed it, Firefox didn't display it correctly. In the end I was unable to find correct settings where in both browsers I could easily see bold text with Istok Web (independent of the Moodle activity). 

The only solution which I found, was switching to another font. In Open Sans the problem was persistent. Finally I tried Open Sans Condensed, where in both browsers I have a good viewable solution.

Open Sans Condensed - Firefox/Chrome

In reply to Pierre Suter

by Leon Kimpton -

I could wrong (I'm sure one of the 3bits guys will be able to confirm) but I think you may find it's how the browser renders your chosen font... rather than Moodle/Adaptable.....

In reply to Pierre Suter

by Fernando Acedo -

As already said this is not a direct Adaptable issue. It looks more related to the weight value used. Verify you enter 400 for main font and 700 for headings.

If the weight values are not used or are wrong then the font can't be rendered correctly.

Once set the right values, verify the font applied in the page is correct using Firebug.

Notice that each Google Font has its own weight values. The most common values are 400 and 700 for bold but other fonts can use different.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Paul Vaughan -

I'm using Adaptable 1.2.3 with Moodle 3.1 and absolutely love it.

Q1. If we upload a header logo, it stops the course name being shown. Is it possible to have both the logo we choose AND the name of the course showing at the same time? 

Q2. We have a corporate font we would like to use instead of the default Google fonts choices (nice though they are). What's the best way of implementing this? (We have a bunch of .otf files.)

Thanks for your hard work with Adaptable, it really is a great theme. smile

In reply to Paul Vaughan

by Fernando Acedo -

Thanks for using Adaptable in your moodle project.

You could find the answer to Q1 in the forum. The issue is already fixed and it is available in our repo. Or you can wait to the next stable release.

About Q2, not for the moment. But you can modify header.php to load your corporate font from a directory and assign the name to the variables used. Then Adaptable will display the font in the whole site.

by Carlos Garcete -

Hello FERNANDO!

Im use Moodle 3.1 whit  beautiful theme ADAPTABLE but...(always a but...!)
I can't see the last item from breadcrumb (lastli)
Im looking to show the full path for studentes.. Example:

SITE > COURSES > COURSE NAME >SECTION >etc...

But the breadcrum not show the resource or section where I am working .

Always shows up the link above ...

If I am in a section , shows the course , if I am in a resource section shows .

It is quite annoying. Thanks for your help!. Greetings from Buenos Aires.

Attachment Capturar-2.jpg
In reply to Carlos Garcete

by Fernando Acedo -

The breadcrumb is one of the most complex parts of moodle because by default the rendering fails.

Adaptable only modify the style and apply some of the colours used in the rest of the theme.

In this case probably the breadcrumb text colour is the same than background. Try to use the default colour #444444 and verify if the last item is displayed.

by Mary Evans -
QUOTE:
The breadcrumb is one of the most complex parts of moodle
because by default the rendering fails.

Hi Fernando,

Can you elaborate on this as I have never experienced any major problems? Or are you talking about how the breadcrumb works in Adaptable?

Confused,

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Fernando Acedo -

This is not an Adaptable issue. It is a bad breadcrumb rendering discussed several times here and in other forums.

The goal of the breadcrumb is take you back to any previous page you passed to arrive to the actual. But this is not right in most of the cases.

This is a sample:

I know it very well because I need to configure web services very often, After set each setting you must go back to Web Services item located in the Administration menu because the breadcrumb has no links. The only that might not be a link is the last one because is the page you are located. But the rest must be links.

So it is totally useless. And this is not a new issue. I don't remember breadcrumb items working ever.

Why a breadcrumb if I can't go back?

And no, I will not open an issue in the tracker that will be lost in the deep moodle space for years. Or even worse, someone will say that it is the right way and works very well. Sorry but I will not waste time on it.

by Mary Evans -

Use the browser backspace...that's the breadcrumb according to Martin.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Fernando Acedo -

This is a really bad workaround. Mainly because is not working in Linux doesn't matter the browser you use.

So we have a useless breadcrumb that is not helping so much from the usability point of view. if HQ will take the UX seriously then will fix it.

The truth is a tried to fix it when developing the render for Adaptable. But is really difficult. That's the reason of not waste time on it.

by Niall Sheehan -

FWIW Breadcrumbs under Site Administration don't work regardless of the theme.

They do work everywhere else even with Adaptable.

Lots of great work on this project,

THANK YOU

Niall

In reply to Mary Evans

Red circle not appearing on Messages for Student

by Kimber Warden -

When a teacher e-mails a student, the message notification red circle doesn't appear. But when a student e-mails a teacher, it does. Could this be a settings issue? Here's a screenshot of a student with an unread message that isn't indicated in a red circle at the top:

Re: Red circle not appearing on Messages for Student

by Fernando Acedo -

The message bubble is only displayed when you have unread messages in your inbox.

Verify also the bubble colour. If you apply the same colour than header background then will not displayed.

by Kimber Warden -

The student does have unread messages in his inbox, as indicated by the pop-up notification in the lower right corner of the screenshot. It's not a bubble color issue, because the red bubble displays as expected for teachers.

by Fernando Acedo -

Sorry but can't reproduce the issue. I would need more information.

by André Romijn -

Righto, filter font-awesome is installed ans seems to work, but in Google dev console we get this error (see screenshot).

Regards

André

In reply to André Romijn

by André Romijn -

screenshot attached

Attachment awe.jpg
In reply to André Romijn

by Fernando Acedo -

I was taking a look to your site and I can't see any error and all the FA icons are displayed correctly.

Did you fix the issue? 

by André Romijn -

Indeed FA are working properly but as screenshot shows, page is trying to find a connection to filter (although that is working) and could have detromentional effect on downloadtime.....

Regards

André

In reply to André Romijn

by Fernando Acedo -

I can see the error in Chrome and not in FF.

Looks like you installed a plugin filter. Adaptable do not use any internal filter because the FA icons are native in Bootstrapbase and you don't need to add any filter to display the FA icons.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Pawel Babel -

Hi there,

I am facing a small issue in the marketing blocks: I'd like to embed an YouTube Video, but the code doesn't seem to work properly.

I use your default code:

<div style="background: #ffffff; height: 315px">
    <center>
    <iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wop3FMhoLGs" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
    </center>
</div>
The front page does not show the video, although the configuration page does.

What do I do wrong?

Many thanks for your answer.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Anusha Reddy -

Hello Mary Evans,

Thank you for the beautiful and easy to use theme. I had a question on customising the "Header Navbar". 

I wanted to know the methos of adding my own options: Menu | About US | Faqs | Contact Us

1. Is it possible to add the aforesaid options other than Help/Tools/Dashboard, etc to the Nav Bar?

2. Can I have a direct click instead of a drop down? I have the static page plugin, so I wondering if I could have the Nav Bar without a drop down wherein if one were to click on an item on the Nav Bar, they would be taken to my static page.

Let me know your thoughts. I use moodle 2.9 version

Thank you so much,

AR

In reply to Anusha Reddy

by Fernando Acedo -

1. Create a moodle default menu and enable it in the Navbar: Themes > Adaptable > Navbar Tools Menu

2. If you create a single item, yes.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Corey Zinn -

I believe the issue we are seeing is with the Adaptable theme...We are using Moodle 3.1 with Adaptable, and on the course index page, if we have a course that has more than just the "i" icon at the top right of the course - such as a course that allows guest access so that icon shows, or a course that allows self enrollment, so that icon shows - when you click "i" to see details of the course, the course summary image is below the summary text. If there is only the "i" icon, the image is directly below the course title and aligned with the summary text, and is not shifted down.

Depending on screen resolution, when there are two or more icons ("i" plus any others), the image may be aligned properly if "Hide blocks" and/or "Full screen" is selected. But if the blocks are shown and the screen is in standard view rather than full, even on a monitor with 1920x1080 resolution, the image is shown lower than the text rather than aligned with it.

A screenshot shows the behavior best. In the attached image, there are two courses with the same summary image and text. The first one has guest access, so it has two icons at the top right, and therefore the summary image is shifted down. The second course only has the "i" icon, and therefore the image is in the correct spot. Note that when there are two or more icons, the summary text shifts to the left, which is, I'm sure, the reason that the image is shifted down.

If the course summary text is short, this is not a big deal. But when the summary text is long, it looks odd to have the image displayed lower than all the text, rather than directly below the course title.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Attachment CourseIndexImage.jpg
In reply to Corey Zinn

by Fernando Acedo -

Not sure what you mean because the image is always located in the top of the course summary area.

See a sample of a course with a long title and summary created to test especially this feature:

by Corey Zinn -

Where is your screenshot from? Mine is from the browse courses screen. Note the "i" and person (guest) icons at the top right of the first course. It is because of two or more icons here that the course summary text is moved a bit to the left, and therefore the course image is pushed to below the summary text.

Thanks.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Maria Belen Sarmiento Lopez -

Hi, I have issues with block edition, I wrote htlm code but they don`t show anywhere, not even with htlm code examples that you have on read me notes. Please help

In reply to Maria Belen Sarmiento Lopez

by Fernando Acedo -

Are you using Atto to enter the code? Use TinyMCE instead.

Sorry Im pretty new on this subjects, I'm talking about marketing blocks, is this tyniMCE helping me in this?

by Fernando Acedo -

TinyMCE is the editor that you must use to enter HTML code. By default is Atto. Verify the editor first and then try again.

Thanks, I changed it to tinyMCE but marketing blocks still are missing, any suggestions?

by Mary Evans -

Hi Maria, 

What code are you adding and where are you attempting to add it?

It may be the right code but in the wrong place!

I assume you have set up how many Marketing blocks you need?

Each block you add I s numbered so that you know which is the first and which is the last and are listed from left to right.

Can you tell me how far you have got with regards setting these Marketing blocks up?

I only ask because I found them a little bit confusing at first too.

Mary

by Fernando Acedo -

Just a silly question but did you enable the Marketing blocks?

They are disabled by default.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Keith Wills -

Don't know if this is a design problem but my service provider says that I am using lots of server time with "styles.debug.php" which has thousands of hits per day with only 100 or so visitors. Any ideas on why? Is there something I have set wrong in the design or set up? Thanks. 

In reply to Keith Wills

by Fernando Acedo -

This file is common to all the themes not only Adaptable.

If you open the file then you will see:  This file is responsible for serving of individual style sheets in designer mode.

So the question is, do you have enabled designer mode in your site?

In reply to Keith Wills

by kanchan Paras -

is it possible to put line (dashed vertical line) between footer block? how?

Attachment footer style.PNG
In reply to kanchan Paras

by Fernando Acedo -

You can modify easily Adaptable elements using the custom CSS. Just use Firebug to find the style applied to the element and add the code to the Custom CSS box.

In that case the default is:

#page-footer .info {
border-top: 1px solid #ffffff;
}

Modify the code as needed.

by shehzad khan -

Hello, 

Firstly really want to Thank you for this theme, it is definitely the most adaptable theme out there and I have tried a few of them. 

I am having an issue with the theme when I run a quiz. I currently have the theme setup to show blocks on the right of the page but when I attempt a quiz all the way up to reviewing the results it duplicates the blocks on the right on the left side as well:

I am using Moodle 3.1.2 and adaptable 1.2.4.2

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you

Shehzad

In reply to shehzad khan

by Fernando Acedo -

by kanchan Paras -

Thank you Fernando for your help. But what i am looking the border between footer block. 

[#page-footer .info ]  is adding border around the whole footer not around footer blocks sad anything else i can try here ?

Thanks a lot in advance 

In reply to kanchan Paras

by Fernando Acedo -

As far I remember these blocks don't have styles because they use the background.

They are developed using span so it means you must remove the span margin inside the #page-footer.

by kanchan Paras -

Thank you so much Fernando!!!!  i could fix it from related div span. smile

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: [ADAPTABLE] DESIGN PROBLEMS - sidebar width

by Dianne Volek -

Is there a setting to change the width of the entire sidebar, or the width of all the blocks. I need to increase the % just a fraction. I am concerned that if I do it in CSS it won't work for all sizes and mobiles.

In reply to Dianne Volek

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Changing the width of the sideblocks will distort the whole page layout and as such will not guarantee correct views for all mobile phones and devices, including laptops and desktop computers.

What is the exact problem you are having that makes you want to change the width of the sideblocks?

Knowing this may help achive a better sollution for you and your Moodle site?

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dianne Volek -

Thank you for the advice. Some items and headers were going onto multiple lines, but I would prefer not to reduce the font size/legibility.  Since there is a risk, I will rather change the font to something narrower.

In reply to Dianne Volek

by Mary Evans -

OK...well you could try this...add the CSS in the Adaptable CSS area of the General settings page (I think that is the correct area you will find that setting).

.block .header h2 { font-size: 85%; line-height: 1; }

Test that out first, and if you find the font too small, then adjust the % by incriments of 1

.block .header h2 { font-size: 86%; line-height: 1; }

or higher still

.block .header h2 { font-size: 90%; line-height: 1; }

or

.block .header h2 { font-size: 95%; line-height: 1; }

line-height: 1; is the norm for any font size.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Dianne Volek

by Fernando Acedo -

Columns are part of the Bootstrap grid and can't be modified because the width depends of screen size.

The text length depends of: font used, font weight and font size. Modifying these variables you can get the best results for your site.

Notice that a language different of English, mainly using non-latin characters like Russian, can increase the text length.