As you know, Adaptable is a fork of BCU. It means that many settings already existing in BCU in Adaptable because just we added new. So BCU can be migrated to Adaptable keeping settings saved in the database.
The process can take some minutes, so do not try in a production server because can be a short downtime. Move the site to maintenance and then execute the migration.
For those that want to migrate, these are the steps:
- Access to the database: PHPMyAdmin or MySQL console. Or any other way depending your database.
- FTP/SCP access to the moodle folder
1. Backup, backup and backup !!!!! And use a testing environment if possible before migrate.
2. Change the default theme to Clean
3. Copy and extract the Adaptable folder to the /theme folder. Do not install Adaptable from Moodle plugins Install.
4. Open PHPMyAdmin and execute the query:
UPDATE `mdl_config_plugins` SET `plugin` = replace( `plugin` , 'theme_bcu', 'theme_adaptable' )
(Change the prefix if needed)
5. Remove BCU files from the /theme folder
6. Enter your moodle site and go to Site Administration > Notifications. Adaptable will be installed as usual.
5. Change the default theme to Adaptable in Theme Selector and verify it is working well.
You migrated from BCU to Adaptable.
Images uploaded to moodle using the theme itself are not migrated because are saved in /moodledata. You must add the logo and the slideshow images manually.
If you have your own images in /theme/bcu/pix then copy the images to the same folder Adaptable folder before remove the BCU folder. You we'll need to change the path if using absolute path in your content.
Hope it will help. Ask here for any question especially before start the migration process.