Deploying SCORM in Moodle | problems with responsiveness

Deploying SCORM in Moodle | problems with responsiveness

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 38

The short post:

Has anyone got responsive SCORMs deploying nicely in Moodle?  The kinds of issues I have, that I would like to solve, for SCORMs produced by AdaptBuilder.io or Evolve:

1. Not having to click twice to get there, and then click extra to get back.
  2. Nicely opening up full screen in a tab on a desktop?
  3. Scrolling properly when on a mobile?
  4. Properly responsive?

I've posted here as well: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=339172

I seem to have only found some fragmentary discussions, but not any indication of a clear, complete simple solution, and often I just do not know enough to figure out a way ahead.

Regards

-Derek

The long post:  This has issue become more complex than I thought.

1. From the lounge: Using an iFrame is good: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=261756#p1363981
  2. From the Adapt forums: Using an iframe causes problems: https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1446&parent=6687
  3. From the Moodle SCORM page: there is no reference to iFrame or anything: https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/SCORM_FAQ
  4. Steps (a lot of them) to fix the problem, but it does not seem to be a nice solution: https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=180
  5. This refers to a functionality in Totara, a new "Simple window" to manage the problem.  https://community.adaptlearning.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=851#p3968
  6. I had another link that I can't find now, that said iFrames do not work well in iOS.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Deploying SCORM in Moodle | problems with responsiveness

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

Adding my voice to the chorus on this. I've dabbled a bit with some code from the Storyline forums that creates a "Simple" pop-up window in Moodle, but haven't been succesful. 

I do know though that Dan wants to get this fixed at some point: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=322184#p1297687

In reply to Mathew Gancarz

by Derek Chirnside -

Ah, thanks Matthew, I think I have seen this in the past, but had forgotten.  Here is a quote of Dan's reply, which is looking at how to avoid iFrames and us popups which have their own set of problems:

one day I'd like to implement that new window option as a modal window (blocking access to the parent/browser windows underneath) But Tim is correct - the content structure page initiates the pop-up on user action so pop-up blockers don't usually cause issues, where-as if the skip content structure page is used the pop-up is launched after the page has been redirected which is how those nasty traditional pop-up window ads used to load and why pop-up blockers were invented!

There might be a way we could hijack the link on the course homepage to directly launch the scorm pop-up rather than the mod/scorm/view.php page but that would need some development effort.
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=322184#p1297687 

I think I know what 'development effort' is: $$  mixed

I could not find a tracker item for this.

This is another comment that arrived in a personal email yesterday:

Unfortunately there isn't a fix for this as iOS iframes are not responsive. Instead what they do is control all height on elements inside the iframe. This leaves responsive content inside not being able to adjust to it's parent container. The best option for LMS's using iframes is to use the popup approach to push the content outside of the iframe and taking it's original responsive form.

I know Totara, a variation on Moodle have/are implementing a new window type called "New window (simple)" which gets around this issue. I'm not sure if this is to implemented back to Moodle.

So we have a problem I guess.  With a lot of Catch-22 aspects.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Derek Chirnside -

I think I've basically solved my problem in the short term by a terrible clutzy fix.  So things will not scroll.  Put so little content on the screen so scrolling is not needed.  sad  About as bad a fix as you can get.

I also discovered this site yesterday: http://scorm.com/moodle/  I quote:

Hey – we know why you’re here. We understand the headache many people develop when they start working with SCORM in Moodle. Whether you need the functionality of SCORM 2004 or want a SCORM module that works every time with any content, you’ve hit the right spot. Our SCORM Cloud integration for Moodle delivers easy SCORM conformance for you and with the most up-to-date version of SCORM out there. The Moodle Mod is free, but there are fair prices for the use of SCORM Cloud. And when we said easy, we mean easy. 

Dan is even quoted on this page:

Rustici provides a viable alternative for those that require full SCORM 2004.  (ie in Moodle)

Again, I am not sure what this means.  Sadly, some of the posts here suggest the problem is Adapt/Evolve SCORM.  There are no Evolve forums, but the Adapt forums suggest Moodle fix it's implementation and blame iOS for the iFrame problem.  black eye

Meanwhile, another question:

Forgetting Moodle for the moment: is there a quick solution to deploying SCORMs, like Wordpress (which I can install OK if I need to), or some website maker that can allow simple deployment of responsive SCORMs without the Catch-22 with Moodle?
Can you stick SCORMS in Wikieducator?  I'm actually not too worried who sees the things.
Is there another option??

I have not dabbled in SCORM ever up until now.  Now I'm trying things out it is becoming a little more complex than I thought.  I think I'll head off to the LinkedIn forum and see what is happening there.  But any links or suggested reading you guys know about I am interested.

Regards

-Derek

by Mathew Gancarz -

Hi Derek, in terms of quick deployment solutions, the biggest question is do you actually need the tracking that SCORM provides? If you don't, you can easily deploy adapt/evolve/anything as just HTML pages, through any website, Wordpress or otherwise.

If you need the tracking, you need something to receive the SCORM results (or Tin Can API results or otherwise)

by Nathan Mcilree -

I managed to implement the changes in the case described in this post which allows SCORM to be opened in a new window.  It is not in MOODLE core so is not the best change to be made, and comes with it's own issues, but I currently have it at beta stage awaiting final sign form clients and it seems promising.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=339315#p1367490

In reply to Nathan Mcilree

by Denis Noctor -

Hi there Nathan,

Would it be possible to see an example of the code so I can experiment with it on my side. I have viewed most of the documentation on Moodle's SCORM implementation over the years from CSS recommendations to what is suggested in the ADAPT website. I am also surprised that given all the queries and postings about SCORM on the Moodle site that an alternative solution hasn't been issued.

I am working on a number or responsive design SCORM based courses; however the use of iframes in the scorm player not only but hinders some of the functionality of my pages. One such example is the "fixed position" menu disappears off screen when scrolling downwards on an IOS device.. but works beautifully and as expected when using the ADAPT solution... though it would be great if the same could be achieve without an end user knowing the full URL of where SCORM content is based. Anyhoo, I digress...

I am assuming the solution you are working on is similar to the ADAPT method, probably a little more polished even! I look forward to hearing back from you. All the best, Denis.

by Denis Noctor -
Hi there Derek, have you ever found any further solution to this? I've sent a message to Nathan (below).
All the best, Denis.
In reply to Denis Noctor

by Derek Chirnside -

The comments higher up this thread have helped clarify my thoughts.  I may not need SCORM, but I want things displayed really really nice.  No, no progress Denis.  I have a few emails sent I have not heard back from . .  but I am not holding my breath.

A MOODLE SOLUTION ELUDES ME.  No, I have not got a fix to a regular Moodle ie a nice way to package SCORMS that look good (eg Adapt, Evolve - No I have not tried the big products like story line or articulate) and I have tried a lot.

BLENDSPACE LOOKS NICE.  I have just discovered Blendspace.  https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=346583  it is really really beautiful in the way it works, is now free and may solve a lot of my problems.  I dislike the PR focus on "Speed" but yes it is amazing how fast you can set up a lesson, and how beautiful by comparison the product is.

EVOLVE AUTHORING: I like evolve.  Just having problems deploying it.  http://www.evolveauthoring.com/

BLOOM ARRIVES TOMORROW.  Also, I am interested in Bloom.  https://appitierre.com/pages/bloom.html  Open source LMS.  

Claims:

1. Built from the ground up to support responsive stuff.  (Like Adapt and Evolve)
  2. "Use it alongside your LMS"  (Can't find where I saw this)
Bloom is being launched tomorrow London Time I believe.  http://www.learningtechnologies.co.uk/Exhibitor/Appitierre-1.  This is LMS number 1043 since the start of recorded history (as far as I can tell) obviously with a number of these now being defunckt.

-Derek
No I am not involved in any way with Blendspace, Adapt, Evolve, Bloom etc.  Just a regular Moodle minion.

by Denis Noctor -

Hi there Derek,

There are quite a number of good authoring tools out there all of which publish SCORM packages (and other formats) but it all boils down to how the Moodle SCORM player deals with published content. I have written quite a number of SCORM packages that include fixed positioned menus, audio / video elements for my courses and so on. With a little CSS I was able to make a few changes to the SCORM player but certainly not to the desired effect. Of course when I view these courses outside the Moodle SCORM environment, they look exactly as I want and so on.... but of course then they do not report to the LMS. I am working on responsive design courses at the moment and was very saddened to realize that iframes were going to be the bane of my life as they are not IOS friendly...

I have scoured the internet trying to find a viable solution(s). The Adapt method of using a launch page momentarily got my attention and yes while my SCORM activities look good on another open window... it is not what I would deem a fluid user experience (clicking to opening the activity in another window... then clicking back on the parent window etc).... and I am a little finicky when it comes to exposing URLS to my activities).

I got a little excited when looked at the TIN CAN API.... thinking... okay, okay.... but why would I want a plugin that reports to another LMS and not Moodle (in the way that SCORM does). I know there is an additional plugin TIN CAN Learner Stream... but does not meet my needs. It is a pity in the sense that the xAPI format opens up in the way I would have hoped SCORM could without the iframes... but alas not that useful.

I have read all the for / against arguments for having this SCORM without iframes functionality... 

I took at look at https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46563

and Jamie Smith's code referenced in https://github.com/danmarsden/moodle/commit/f25a77086ee14b73acf368e7451dee202003a22f 

but I couldn't get it to work in any way so I can't give an informed opinion.

If there is anyone out there that could point me in the right direction. I would really appreciate it. Between all the CSS and coding suggestions over the years, I really thought this would be solved.

If I ever work this out I will let you know.

All the best.

Denis

In reply to Denis Noctor

by Nathan Mcilree -

Hi - for the benefit of anyone else out there looking for a responsive SCORM solution - just to confirm I have got the fix at https://github.com/danmarsden/moodle/commit/f25a77086ee14b73acf368e7451dee202003a22f to work in MOODLE 2.8 (or maybe 2.9 - I can't remember and am not at work).

However as per the notes in the case and a conversation with Dan Marsen (Author of the SCORM module) there maybe browser security issues with the way this works depending on the level of trust you have with your clients and how you are deploying it.

As a note on user experience it does open the SCORM in a new tab, however when you close the SCORM this tab is automatically shut and you are returned to the take SCORM page ( a bit like in SCORM cloud) and it actually woks quite smoothly this way.

In reply to Nathan Mcilree

by Denis Noctor -

Thanks Nathan, I actually took a look at everything last week and made amendments to the SCORM code and have it working for Moodle 3+ There were quite a number of changes. It appears that quite a number of the variables in the code have changed both in appearance and how the URL is called since Jamie Smith first put the code together. I suggest those who want the additional "New Window - Simple" download a "diff tool" whereby you can compare the code produced in 2013/2014 with recent files in the mod/scorm directory (e.g. Moodle 3+).  While all the code is basically the same, I noticed that a lot of variables had been changed... for example many variable names in the old code no longer have underscores (_) and as I mentioned how the URL of the SCORM activity is being called.

I am quite stunned that there are hundreds of queries in Moodle forums from Adapt, Articulate Storyline, Lectora and other SCORM authoring publishing tools begging for changes to the SCORM player to be made... especially because of the usage of "iframes" which simply hinder a user's experience on an IOS device.  I momentarily got excited with the Tin Can API that was developed only to find out it reports to an external LRS... why not simply have all activities tracked by Moodle? Anyhoo, I digress. If anyone wants the amended code (Moodle 3.1 and upwards) to run SCORM activities (as they want them to appear) in a new windows tab... without iframes, then drop me a line. Alternatively, I can post the code here... but like everyone who has amended code to the Moodle Scorm player files... I accept no responsibility. Simply make a backup of your mod/scorm directory files.

In reply to Denis Noctor

by Denis Noctor -

Hi there,

I have received quite a number of emails regarding my last posting regarding the SCORM player opening in a "New Window - simple" window scenario... I am a little unsure as to what the protocol is here... Can I simply upload my amendments to certain files here? Or should I post them elsewhere? I would prefer some feedback from Moodle... especially  as a I am under the impression Moodle is/was a LMS platform for anyone who wanted to learn... I chose Moodle simply because because I want to make my courses available to those who would benefit. I have worked in India, China, Malaysia, East and West Africa, I have taught students from Iran / Iraq and many questionable states. I currently live in Mexico, I have 2 children that have Mexican / Irish Nationality... yep, I am am Irish. ,  I am a teacher that needed to become a developer in order to meet certain criteria... If Martin Dougiamas can spare 5 minutes with me... I would greatly appreciate it.

In reply to Denis Noctor

by Denis Noctor -

New Window - Simple

The following files should be added to:

mod/scorm directory:

loadSCO.php

locallib.php

mod_form.php

player.php

view.php

The following file should be added to:

mod/scorm/lang/en

scorm.php

No need to change version.php

(Make a backup of original files). Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility if things go wrong. Tested on Moodle 3.1+ (Build: 20160701) 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Denis Noctor

by Denis Noctor -

...continued

In reply to Denis Noctor

by Denis Noctor -

continued...

In reply to Denis Noctor

by Denis Noctor -

...and finally

In reply to Denis Noctor

by Mathew Gancarz -

Thanks for sharing this Denis. Since you based your code on Moodle 3.1+ (Build: 20160701), there are some tweaks that needed to be made to bring it up to to the 3.1.4 LTS release. I've included a git patch file for those wanting to test it further. I'm going to give this a go in our staging environment and see how it runs.

So far it seems to work but I've noticed that the Adapt framework text Scorm package I'm using doesn't report back to the LMS until the window it is in is closed. This is likely to cause issues since I think most people using Safari won't explicitly close the tab, unless there is a built-in 'exit' button that closes the tab itself?

I'm not quite sure what the usage model will be there, as I'm not sure how many users are comfortable with tab management with Safari on iOS.

Denis, have you had a chance to test out SCORM progress saving with this? We may have to play around with the auto-commit option, but I guess this is dependent on the SCORM package itself.

by Mathew Gancarz -

I tested with the Articulate 360 Rise sample course (Health & Wellness) also, completion was not tracked until I explicitly closed the new window that had been opened in Safari.

by Mathew Gancarz -

Though I can confirm that atleast for the Articulate 360 Rise package, setting "Auto-commit" to "Yes", under the SCORM "Compatibility settings" category does properly track completion even when the person has not yet closed the tab in mobile Safari.

Though I could still see some confusion if learners have multiple activities to do in a course and there is no clear 'exit' button at the end of the module that closes the window for them.

by Denis Noctor -

Hi there Mathew, I agree this solution may not be ideal solution for some. One of the reasons I spent some time on this was because I wanted to get away from the "iframes" to give my SCORM packages a better look and feel. As a result when building my SCORM packages, I added a "fixed position" (floating) menu at the top of all my pages which didn't previously work on ios devices but yes it is important that certain functionality is added.... for example when publishing a SCORM package... in my case with Lectora, settings need to be set "Open in a new window" (in the Lectora program). I have an exit button on this menu that when pressed will trigger 2 actions (1) Target: AICC_Lesson_Status, TYPE: Set Equal to , Value: completed,
(2) Exit / Close. I do know that if a Lectora Publish SCORM Package is published to Open in the SAME window and configured in Moodle to open up in a New window... it does not work. Yep, I agree that it is important that the end user has as fluid an experience as possible. In what I have done in my examples everything seems to work fine... i.e. click on activity, opens in another window... complete activity, click submit... window closes and redirects user back to the the course page. Percentages were reported back as normal. I will take a fresh look at this tonight, I could email you a simple SCORM package from my side and you could send me an articulate generated package and we can compare notes. Hope this helps.

In reply to Denis Noctor

by jorge bg -

Hi Denis 

Thanks for all your work on https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46563

Im very surprised because moodle cant use simple pop-ups to scorm packages just like TOTARA do.... Do you know if there is some chance moodle will integrate this simple pop-up on core?

Regards,

In reply to Denis Noctor

by tim st.clair -
Picture of Plugin developers

er .. $CFG->customscripts is a thing, rather than changing core code. I use it in a scorm size hack I did to allow you to set height/width on embedded scorms - https://github.com/frumbert/mod-scorm-size .

In reply to tim st.clair

by Denis Noctor -

Thanks Tim, I'll take a look at it over the weekend. All the best, Denis.

In reply to Denis Noctor

by Derek Chirnside -

Just curious how you guys are getting on with Moodle + SCORM deployment.

Any progress??

[Denis: do you even exist here now?  I get an error when I click on your profile]

-Derek

by Amy Groshek -
Hi Derek,

You might want to create an account at tracker.moodle.org and start following the SCORM component. That will give you a better idea of what's in the works, what progress has been made, and what discussion has been had around particular features and improvements.

Helen already provided the link to the issue resulting from this thread: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46563

And you can also filter for any open tasks associated with the SCORM component.
In reply to Amy Groshek

by Derek Chirnside -

Thanks Amy, I have checked out this.  The last activity on MDL-46563 was Feb 24th, and it seems to have stalled.  Ron asked a question,and it has kind of stopped.

I think there is enough code in the tracker item to get a workable plugin.  It just needs leadership, I wondered if the MUA may be interested, Dan probably is still the best option to work with.  But I am an amateur.  

-Derek

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you want to use SCORM on mobile devices the best option these days is to use the Mobile App - this is a much more stable/reliable way to use SCORM on a mobile device as the SCORM is downloaded to the mobile device and then the mobile app uses it's own built-in SCORM player and then passes the tracking data back to Moodle when connectivity is available instead of using the SCORM player on the web server. SCORM is inherently fragile and mobile devices typically have intermittent access to internet which is not something that SCORM can cope with, the Mobile app compensates for this and doesn't use the same frame design as runing scorm through a web-browser on the phone so should also do better with displaying the SCORM as well.

At some point I might be tempted to provide a way to block users from accessing SCORM on a mobile device through a web-browser and force them to use the Mobile app instead.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mathew Gancarz -

Hi Dan, I would urge some discussion before something like that is really moved forward though. Right now for example we don't use the Moodle Mobile option as our students only take a course with us for a few weeks. I haven't explored it, but my hunch is they would not want to install an app specifically to take a single course.

Also have to think about how we would define a 'mobile device'? Phones sure, but what about a tablet with cellular connectivity? Or laptop running off a phone hotspot?

I wonder if it would be possible to have similar functionality in the web-page based SCORM by using service workers or some similar mechanism without requiring installing a dedicated app?

Yes, I realize it would require some significant development/funding possibly which my org would not be able to provide, but I don't want to see the web-based version of SCORM to be only useful for non-responsive, legacy SCORM packages.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mobile device == anything not on fixed/wired network and on wifi/3G/4G etc... As you know, SCORM wasn't designed to cope with intermittent network connectivity. If you want to reliably use SCORM on wifi or other wireless technologies the best/most stable option is to use the official Moodle Mobile app (or even the desktop app). We can't really "fix" this in the web-page based SCORM player.

If you don't want to use an app and want reliable Learning content delivery on mobile devices you really need to encourage people to stop using SCORM and go with something else like the built-in Lesson module or more modern tools like hvp.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Mathew Gancarz -

Thank you Dan. I realize that yes, you are very limited in what can be done with the web based version and I hate to be a pain in the ass by continuing to ask... but... couldn't atleast in theory, something like a ServiceWorker API be used for doing the background/intermittent connectivity sync that the moodle mobile app does now? I think this is one of the use cases it explicitly was designed for, per: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2015/12/background-sync 

We have been using hvp a bit and I do see what you are saying, but I don't see SCORM being replaced by these tools until another inter-operability standard arises or we can easily send/direct learners between different learning platforms content.

The reason we still use SCORM is primarily because of the portability requirements of being able to move/trade/sell courses between institutions. There are still so many learning platform vendors out there and SCORM is the only reliable way I know of to get an entire 'package' of content between them in a reliable way. I am aware of other solutions to this that don't involve us sending zip files to another org to upload to their LMS, but nothing that doesn't require IT to be involved to test Single SIgn on, etc and do setup.

by Dan Marsden -

In theory we could do stuff to improve the reliability but the ROI would be hard to justify - it would also be hard to tangibly define how much of an improvement you would get. I understand the benefits/attractiveness of SCORM for organisations that build content and sell it to multiple organisations but if the content is just for one org they would probably get a better ROI using tools within the LMS such as the lesson activity in Moodle or other tools like HVP over using something like Captivate/Articulate to develop the content.

In reply to Denis Noctor

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Denis,

Many thanks for your willingness to share your SCORM improvements. For your code to be reviewed by core Moodle developers, please create an issue in the Moodle Tracker (see our Tracker introduction guide if you've not used the tracker before). Select 'Moodle (MDL)' as project and for the component, select SCORM. You can attach the PHP files to the issue, or even better, provide a patch.

Please post back here with the tracker issue number so that others can vote for it to be worked on, comment or watch it to receive email notification of updates.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Mathew Gancarz -

I think there actually is a Moodle tracker issue for this actually. See https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46563

I linked this discussion there also.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Mathew, very helpful! Thus Denis, please feel free to comment and attach files to MDL-46563, and everyone remember to log in to the tracker and vote for it!

In reply to Helen Foster

by Denis Noctor -

My Bad. Will do Helen. Thanks.

In reply to Denis Noctor

by Denis Noctor -

Okidoke... everything redirected to https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46563 (files attached) (Thanks Mathew). Let's see what happens! By the way Mathew, can you add your patch there also, stating the Moodle version. All the best, Denis.

In reply to Denis Noctor

by Helen Foster -

Many thanks Denis for contributing to MDL-46563. Hopefully Dan (as SCORM component lead) will have chance to review it in the not too distant future, so that it can be integrated into Moodle for everyone's benefit.

In reply to Helen Foster

by jorge bg -

Hi Helen,

Did you discuss about adding this feature (simple pop-up on scorm packages) to core?

Regards,