Issues with Moodle, Completion Settings, and SCORM 1.2/2004

Issues with Moodle, Completion Settings, and SCORM 1.2/2004

by Shneay Kazan -
Number of replies: 4

Hello all, 

I'm running into an issue with my SCORM packages properly communicating with my Moodle LMS and was hoping someone would have some insight.

First, a warning: I'm new to my organization and haven't had much experience with Moodle, but have a great deal of experience with SCORM packages in other LMSs. By contrast, my organization has a lot of experience with Moodle, but very little with SCORM. I apologize in advance if I'm not providing the information needed to troubleshoot my issue. 

Context

• I have an activity (a freeform choose one quiz built in Storyline 360) that requires an 80% grade to pass.
  • Pass/Incomplete, track using quiz result
  • Users should only get one attempt to go through the activity in its entirety but should be able to exit and revisit the activity until they reach the results page.
  • Moodle Healthcare Edition v2.5.9.6.

When I publish to SCORM 2004, the activity works as it should:

• The learner can open the activity multiple times before landing on the Results page. The LMS only counts it as their attempt once they have landed on the Results page. 
  • The grade in the gradebook updates as the students make their way through the activity (For example: if they leave the activity after the first question, the gradebook marks their grade as 20% and an incomplete. If they exit after the second question, the gradebook marks their grade as 40% and an incomplete, etc.)
  • The bookmarking works as intended, as the learner is brought to the last question they did not complete. 

When I publish to SCORM 1.2, the activity does not work as it should:

• After opening the activity once, the LMS counts as this as their attempt. The grade achieved during the first "open" is the one applied to the whole activity. It still allows us to re-open the activity and land on the question where I left off, however, any subsequent correct answers did not affect the final grade. (For example: if they leave the activity after the first question, the gradebook marks their grade as 20% and an incomplete. If they exit after the second question, their grade in the gradebook remains a 20%.)
  • The bookmarking does not work as intended. For whatever reason, progress ceases to be bookmarked after the first question. I checked my settings within Storyline and they're the same for all questions. 

Our LMS provider ran an API log for both the 2004 and 1.2 packages, which I've attached. It looks like when I publish to SCORM 1.2, the SCORM package does not report a completed status to Moodle. When I publish to 2004, it does. 

I've tested it in SCORMCloud and it's working correctly there. 

Our LMS provider has advised me that 2004 is not supported by them and we have the possibility of running into errors with the SCORM package in the future (aka it spontaneously breaking), so we are hoping to find a solution somewhere. Unfortunately, they haven't been able to identify a reason for the issues yet, hence this post (desperate times, etc. etc.). 

Our current settings are provided below:

moodle settings

Thank you in advance for any assistance on this matter. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shneay Kazan

Re: Issues with Moodle, Completion Settings, and SCORM 1.2/2004

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

what is "Moodle Healthcare Edition v2.5.9.6" - is that some custom version of Moodle? - if that is referring to Moodle 2.5 that version contains a number of issues with SCORM that could be related to your issues. Moodle 2.5 has been out of support for quite a while now and you should be looking at upgrading to a more recent stable supported release.

You might want to try running your SCORM package on a free MoodleCloud site to see if it is related to your old/custom version of Moodle. 

I would guess that the re-entry to your SCORM is happening in review mode which is why the behaviour isn't matching correctly. The default behaviour of Moodle can be slightly different to the SCORM Cloud in some areas - these FAQ's could be useful to be aware of:
https://docs.moodle.org/en/SCORM_FAQ#Handling_of_Multiple_Attempts
https://docs.moodle.org/en/SCORM_FAQ#Moodle_changes_cmi.core.lesson_status_from_.22completed.22_or_.22passed.22_to_.22failed.22

In reply to Shneay Kazan

by Mathew Gancarz -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Shneay, we have a similarly built Articulate module used as an assessment in one of our courses. The module is just a quiz and the learners have to get an 80% or higher. I am not sure if it was published out as SCORM 2004 or SCORM 1.2, but we set Attempts Management in the manner below:

Number of attempts: Unlimited Attempts

Attempts grading: Highest attempt

Force new attempt: Yes

It records each write of the quiz as a seperate attempt and does track the highest score. I think your specific issue is because you set it to only 1 attempt. We set it as unlimited and force a new attempt, as otherwise we would see the same that you see now, where the first score they got was locked in as the only score until they clicked 'start a new attempt' on the page. With force new attempt, it does not allow them to resume halfway through the quiz, or review an old attempt but we haven't had any complaints about that since people tend to do things like this in one sitting anyways.

PS: Good to see another Canadian healthcare related org here. We're at www.desouzainstitute.com and do professional development courses for oncology and palliative care health care professionals across Canada, but we started out in Ontario. Are you coming to Canada Moodle Moot 2018 in February?

In reply to Shneay Kazan

by Amy Groshek -
A) There are errors in both of the log files. IMO you can teach yourself to generate and read those log files and you should check every package you create to verify that things are reported the way you want. https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/SCORM_FAQ#Debugging

B) If you read the FAQ carefully regarding the SCORM 2004 standard, you'll see that it's nav and sequencing issues, mostly related to multi-sco scorm packages, that Moodle doesn't support. So will your package spontaneously stop working? No. If you test it and debug it carefully and the features you need are there and working using the 2004 standard, then you're not using any of the unsupported features. https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/SCORM_FAQ#Supported_Versions

C) Moodle Healthcare Edition v2.5.9.6? Yeah what Dan said.^^

In reply to Shneay Kazan

by Andy Doorn -

Try upgrading your moodle to the latest version, which should give you the 'Mastery score overrides status' option in the Compatibility settings of your course.

Here's what that does:

'If enabled and a mastery score is provided, when LMSFinish is called and a raw score has been set, status will be recalculated using the raw score and mastery score and any status provided by the SCORM (including "incomplete") will be overridden.'

Meaning LMSFinish takes the score of the incomplete attempt, and interprets it as the final score (most likely falling short of the required end result, thus always resulting in a fixed 'Failed' overall test score). It's also what makes Moodle launch the Preview mode each time you re-enter the scorm.

'Mastery score overrides status' is set to 'Yes' by default. Simply setting the 'Mastery score overrides status' to 'No' solves that problem.

Might be related to your troubles. Hope it helps.