Modify grade item weight for a single student

Modify grade item weight for a single student

by Steven C -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

I do not know what version of Moodle I am using, but I am starting to use the Moodle Gradebook for a university course expected to reach about 800 students.  If a student misses a test, I would like to transfer the weight of that test to another grade item (e.g., the final exam).

I know how to specify the weight of a grade item, but how do I modify this for only a specific student?

Thanks,
Steven

In reply to Steven C

Re: Modify grade item weight for a single student

by Mark McKay -

Hi Steven,

You can't modify the weighting of items for particular students, per se, but you can use things like drop low, keep high, or exclude empty in conjunction with categorization to achieve such things. You can also create custom category calculations. Both of these strategies come with challenges, limitations, and ramifications, so tread carefully.

Good Luck,

Mark

In reply to Steven C

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

About the only way I can think of to achieve this is to have a group for the students that miss a test and then a another group for the rest.  Duplicate the final exam and assign one version to each group using restrictions.  Then weight the exam for the missing test group accordingly.

In reply to Steven C

by Steven C -

Thank you, Mark and Emma.  Those suggestions are very creative, but I think they are a little too complicated for me.  I think I will continue my current practice of exporting Moodle grades and calculating the final grades in a spreadsheet.  I will simply ask the individual instructors to keep track of grade weight transfers and enter them at the end of the term.