New "Journal" type module: Log sheet

New "Journal" type module: Log sheet

by t h -
Number of replies: 3
Hi all.

I'm working on a new activity type based on the journal. It is a "log sheet" for students working in work placment situations (we refer to this as co-op placements or experiential hours).

The mod will work much like a journal, but with a few extra features:
-a field to record hours completed during this "log sheet" round (in my case, each week is a new log sheet)
-option to use an external validator to verify the log sheet/hours. When the student flags the log sheet as complete, it will get emailed to an external validator (e.g. their work place supervisor) for review. A link will be present in the email for the supervisor to follow to a validation page where he/she can "approve" the hours and mark the sheet as valid/add comments. They won't require a moodle account to dop this, just a valid email address. THe moodle teacher can still grade the sheet (optional)
-an admin page to "tally" the hours that have been validated for each student (I may do this as a block so that it can be made visible to students to see)

A couple of questions:
-would other people find this useful (may determine if I do this "quick and dirty" or cleaner...)
-do the features sound complete?
-is there anything like this out there already?

./tim
Average of ratings: -
In reply to t h

Re: New "Journal" type module: Log sheet

by Bob Gettings -
Hi!

I'd definitely use it! We're thinking of opening a self-access center next year and it might be a good way for teachers who want to have their students time checked by the staff to verify the students were there.

It would also be useful for supervising student teaching activities.

Will the student be able to see the supervisor's comments as well?

Bob
In reply to Bob Gettings

by t h -
Will the student be able to see the supervisor's comments as well?

Yes. The supervisor will receive an email with the students journal and hours in the body. THe email will also have a "validate this log sheet" link tht will take the supervisor to a page on the moodle server. That page will have a standard feedback system in it (text comment, grade if this is enabled). The supervisor can then "approve" the hours/journal and grade if desired. The student will be able to view the supervisors feedback along with the standard teacher feedback.

./tim
In reply to t h

by D LA -

We would LOVE to see this developed. We have an technology internship program and this would meet our needs very well.

big grin