Natural Grades????

Natural Grades????

by Keith C -
Number of replies: 8
I upgraded my moodle to 2.9 and am a little frustrated right now out of my own ignorance.  I know there is a learning curve but I am short on time as usual and the gradebook has completely changed!

I am using 'natural' grading because I want to use total points with my kids.  However, the only display I can seem to get for category totals is the total points and I need to display them as % of my kids will never know how they are doing....I have tried to change a lot of settings but they always seem to come out as real.  Any ideas?

In reply to Keith C

Re: Natural Grades????

by Mark McKay -

Keith,

You should be able to change it by going to Categories & Items, selecting Edit Settings for the category, and changing the grade display type.

Mark

In reply to Mark McKay

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have noticed that when Editing is on, it will only display as Total Points.  It is somewhat annoying actually!  I have been meaning to see if there is a tracker item in about it...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Mark McKay -
Emma, you're talking about Categories and Items? It makes sense to me that it is points, even if the weighting is adjusted, because the points as still part of the calculation, just in a different way.
In reply to Mark McKay

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

No, on the grader report.  If you turn editing on on the grader report everything switched to total points and will not display the percentage.

Image 1 with editing off/Image 2 with editing on.

by Bob Puffer -

AFAIK it has always been this way, editing on = points displayed, though I've not used the Moodle gradebook for quite a while so I could be wrong.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Emma Richardson -

Ok, but why?  It was never like this before the 2.8 shift to Natural...

by Mark McKay -

When editing is on, the only value that can be entered is a numeric value (there has been discussion about entering a letter grade or a percentage, but this functionality does not yet exist).

In reply to Keith C

by Keith C -

Thank you everyone.  When I got to my moodle today the grades were all displaying as percentage.  Looks like the Moodle gods strike again!