Hidden Gradebook Items

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 24
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Hidden Gradebook Items

by Elena Ivanova -

Try hiding/unhiding items via Grader report in the Turn Editing On mode. Sometimes the column can be unhidden, but grade items are hidden. (to see the icons, enable them in My Preferences for the Grader report, if needed).

I think I saw a similar issue when only unhiding everything, and then hiding assignments/unhiding grades back helped. I  did not investigate it further, since this workaround worked :/

In reply to Elena Ivanova

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Mark DeLonge -

We are experiencing the same problem that April has described above.  Some instructors want to limit access to older assignments, forums, etc but the students should still be able to view their score and feedback in the gradebook.

I have tested in Moodle 2.3 and have experienced the same behavior as 2.2.3.

Any solutions?

In reply to Mark DeLonge

by Mary Jo Licht -

Like Mark and April, we are having the same issues.  

We want to hide certain assignments from the student (because the assignments are actually being used/grades entered by an intern), but still allow the student to see the grade they get.  I've tried all the suggestions, but nothing seems to "unhide" the assignment in the Gradebook, despite the column looking like it is unhidden.

We are using Moodle 2.1.6.  

Please help... 

In reply to Deleted user

by Elena Ivanova -

I think we have got a new bug: If you hide the assignment, but unhide the grade column in the gradebook, the user report still will NOT show the grade.

I can confirm the issue on multiple Moodle instances for 2.2.4

I can also replicate it on demo.moodle.net AND on qa.moodle.net (2.4dev).

Please post your Moodle versions, and I will report a bug in the tracker, so people can vote

by Mary Jo Licht -

I would really appreciate it if you could report this -- I'm new to this, and don't know about the tracker.  We're using 2.1.6, but are supposed to be upgrading to 2.2.3 (? -- I'm not entirely sure) in the next two weeks before the semester starts.  

In the meantime, a wonderful colleague came up with a kind of work-around.  I need to test it a little more and then I can post about it.  It's a little tedious, and might not work for everyone (depending on your needs), but it could help.  Still, I'd rather get the bug fixed.  Do you have any idea how long it takes for such things to happen (days? weeks?).  I need to get it figured out one way or another before the end of August. 

by Elena Ivanova -

Everyone, please resgister and vote in MDL-34931

The more you vote, the better chances it will be fixed smile

by Annick F -

Since the upgrade to 2.4 (from 1.9) we experienced issues with the gradebook.

We use scorm packages for live exams. And we regularly hide and unhide the exams (scorm packages) activities within the course to make them available to a group during the live exam and unavailable when the exam ends.

We would like the grade to be visible to students all the time, even when the activity is hidden.

We make the scorm packages visible in the gradebook even if hidden in the course but every time somebody actions the open and hide option in the scorm settings to make it available for the live exam and then unavailable after the exam, this will automatically affect the gradebook,and the grades for this activity will automatically be hidden.

Is there a way to to force the activity to be visible in the gradebook whatever we do in the course (ie; regularly hide and unhide the activity)

Merci

by Doris Johnson -

HI Elena,

I am trying to unhide a quiz grade in the grade book. I am using moodle 2.4.4. I have the quiz activity hidden on the main course page, but I would like the students to be able to see their grade for the quiz. I have tried several of the suggestion, but I can't unhide the grade. Are there any solutions to this problem, or am I missing something. thanks for your help.

In reply to Deleted user

by Kimberly Noseworthy -

Everyone, please resgister and vote in MDL-34931

We've discovered a couple more things.  If an item is hidden in any way, shape or form withing the course, it will not show in the gradebook.  A hidden item that has not been told to not add to the course total, will be included, even if the item is hidden. 

However, if ONLY the open and close dates are used to control access to the activity, the item will show up in the gradebook and show the student's score.  The students will not be able to access the activity once it is closed. 

I've been advising instructors to use only the open and close dates and to move the offending activity to the bottom of the course and add an "instructor's use only" description to things they may not necessarily want their students to access.

In reply to Kimberly Noseworthy

by C G -

While the issue has recently been marked as "fixed" in the tracker (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-34931), some of us with hosted sites can't afford to pay for an upgrade/patch every time we turn around. In the meantime, I've advised my teachers to do the following:

If an assignment (or other activity) is hidden on the course’s home/main page – even if it is visible (eyeball open) in the gradebook – the STUDENT who is logged in & looking at his/her grades still will not be able to see this assignment in the gradebook view. (This is NOT how it appears to the teacher; only to the student.)

So, how do we get around this? If you HIDE a whole section (block) on your course page – for instance, when you are done a topic, chapter, or week – the student will never see anything inside it. So inside this HIDDEN block you can still have VISIBLE activities (where the eyeball is open) that will then show up in the gradebook but NOT on the course’s home page. BUT it’s important to note that by default, when you close a section’s eyeball this will hide everything inside that same block. This means you must then click to open the eyeball of each individual assignment you still want to show in the student’s gradebook. For example:

teacher view:
gradebook workaround teacher view

student view:
gradebook workaround student view
student gradebook view:
student gradebook view

IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO HIDE AN ENTIRE SECTION…. Use an "extra" section at the bottom of your course page (if necessary, add sections in SETTINGS à Course Administration à Edit Settings) that is always going to be hidden but can have "visible" (eyeball open) activities inside. So once you are done with an activity & want to hide it on the course page but show it in the gradebook, you can move the activity to this hidden section, but then open the eyeball for the individual activity. This is also a great tactic for putting “pop quizzes” in the gradebook as an assignment, but not on the course’s main page. (You would put the surprise quiz in the extra hidden section after it's already been give; that way it appears in the gradebook but only AFTER the class has seen it.)

In reply to C G

by Corey Keating -

I was really excited to find this last work-around to "hiding on the front page" but "showing in the gradebook"! Unfortunately, once the Unit on the course page is hidden, it will not allow me to unhide an individual item. sad  We are using Moodle 2.4. 

This is very frustrating. I continue to look for an easy solution that at the end of the term we can hide the assignments/units, but allow the grades for these assignments to show in the gradebook. Isn't that how a course *should* work?

Are there updates to this topic that I have not found yet? Thanks for the help. C. Keating

In reply to Corey Keating

by Bob Puffer -

By reading your comments I can't tell if you're following the directions given above.  The section cannot have its eyeball closed.  It should be placed below the visible sections -- i.e., if you set visible sections to 10, the section containing the items you don't want to show on the course page need to be in section 11 or greater.  With editing turned on these items will show up at the bottom of the page under "Orphaned items"

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Corey Keating -

Bob, thanks for your reply; I really appreciate someone willing to discuss this!!

I am actually using the "first" solution talked about in the post by "C G" that I replied to. They stated, " So inside this HIDDEN block you can still have VISIBLE activities (where the eyeball is open) that will then show up in the gradebook but NOT on the course’s home page. BUT it’s important to note that by default, when you close a section’s eyeball this will hide everything inside that same block. This means you must then click to open the eyeball of each individual assignment you still want to show in the student’s gradebook."

The problem is that when I hide a section, it will NOT allow me to click on the closed eyeball to unhide an individual item. Sounds like the solution C G has will not work in all Moodle implementations. Not sure what is going on there.

The issue is that after the week/Unit/course has ended, I don't want students to be able to submit an assignment (or look at a quiz, Discussion, etc), but DO want them to be able to see their grades and comments in the gradebook. That seems like a no-brainer as far as how an LMS *should* work, but it doesn't.

The only thing I can figure out is that whenever I hide a section, the corresponding items in the gradebook get hidden. So, I think I can go into the gradebook and manually unhide them. But the the scroll bar at the bottom, it makes it frustrating and time consumming to do this.

Can you (or anyone) help or have suggestions? Thanks. C Keating

by Bob Puffer -

C G's solution is the only one I know of that works around this regression effectively.

EDIT: check out my Quickset block to make placing sections "below the visible line" much easier (forum search on "quickset")

by Theo Hughes -

Hi,

You CAN actually unhide the items after they have been hidden when you hide the section they are in. Although the "eyeball" icon does not work, you can hide the items by editing the item and changing the Show/Hide setting on the edit screen.

Cluncky/time-consuming/frustrating if you have quite a few items, but it works... or does for me.

Theo

In reply to Theo Hughes

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Process that I have found for 2.5.

1. In Admin settings make sure that under Grades, User Report - show hidden grades is set to Show Hidden.

2. In Gradebook settings in the course, check the same setting is set to Show Hidden.

3. Go to Categories and Items and Unhide item.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by ankit garg -

Dear Experts I just need to know HOW TO HIDE THE TABLE BELOW FRO STUDENTS

The problem is this that I want to hide grades from students completely, which I did successfully but I am unable to hide grades from this table of Assignment Submission page....Please help guys....

-- Ankit Garg

In reply to ankit garg

by Bob Puffer -

This would be about the assignment mod not the gradebook and you could get better help in that forum.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Doug Moody -

Has any progress on this issue been made with the latest version? 2.9.1?

I don't see any agreement on the process for making this happen. Does anyone have a definitive workaround, because it is happening to me in 2.9.1

Thanks.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Megan Murphy -

We are having the same issue in 2.9.1. Has anyone figured out a way to fix this?

In reply to Megan Murphy

by Cleo Prakash -

Same here, I am still unable to hide SCORM lessons from gradebook for both students and staff's view

Please help.