Building a quiz that grades by category

Building a quiz that grades by category

by Mark Hardwick -
Number of replies: 6

Does any of the newer versions of Moodle allow you to build a quiz that can be graded by category?  I would like to have a quiz with 50 questions (or some other number) that has 4-5 categories so I know what topics a student needs the most help in.

I know on previous versions of Moodle this cannot be done and I know it's been talked about many times, but It's been a while since I checked on this.

If it's not available, is there a work-a-round that could get the same results? 

We are currently on 2.6+ 

Also, what is the latest version of Moodle that I should consider going to to stay current?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Hardwick

Re: Building a quiz that grades by category

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

No, you can't grade quizzes by category. However the latest version of Moodle which is Moodle 2.9 allows you to display different sections in your quiz - see the Section headings part of the documentation Building Quiz and that would let you divide up into categories of a sort but you'd still have to look manually at their results.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Sheppard -

Mary:

Does that category restriction apply to the Quiz activity as a whole? e.g. you cannot assign a category to it?

In reply to Mark Sheppard

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't quite know what you mean Mark.

In reply to Mark Hardwick

by Mark Hardwick -

Thanks for the input and conformation about Moodle not being able to do it in it's basic form. That's not what I was wanting to hear but that's what it is. 

I'll look into the plugins and get some more info on those.  I have never personally added a plugin but my web host is good with that sort of thing.  

If anyone has used either of those plugins and likes them please let me know. 

Thanks,

Mark