1.5 Installation Problem

1.5 Installation Problem

by Patricia Mueller -
Number of replies: 14

When I install Moodle 1.5 the installation seems to end to the part where I see the following message: "scorm tables have been set up correctly" and no continue link to proceed. I refresh the page after that and I get just a blank page at admin/index.php

I don't seem to have a problem installing 1.4.5, the installation procedure completes smoothly and completely.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patricia Mueller

Re: 1.5 Installation Problem

by Bill Burgos -
Hello Patricia,

To start off, could you give us some details about your setup?  For example:

Are you using a hosting service or are you doing this on your own servers?

Server operating system
Web server, version
Database server, version
PHP version

How did you install this version? By CVS or using a zip file?

It might be that your files are incomplete. However, it would be a good idea to double check.

by Patricia Mueller -

I persisted....

I opened the following files via the browser...

admin/config.php - and I was able to configure and save settings

admin/site.php - and I was able to change the settings for the site name but then I got the following message after saving

"Could not retrieve blocks from the database" I clicked the continue button and it took me to the main page where i now see this message:

"Warning: The argument needs to be an array ..course/lib.php on line 1318" I continued with my quest...

admin/user.php - and I was able to update the admin profile and add a password

Then I was able to log in as admin and faced with a really empty page except for the warning error above...

admin/configure.php - now I see a breadcrumb and configuration links to change variables..site settings..themes..etc..

I was able to:

• change variables
    • change site settings
    • change theme
    • change calendar setting
    • change language

BUT... when I tried to configure blocks, I got "No blocks found!"

now back to my adventure.. smile

anyone care to join?

by Bill Burgos -
Hi Patricia,

I seems that all of the files did not get to where they needed to be and your first installation stalled because of missing files.

You may want to backup the database with phpmyadmin and reinstall with a fresh copy of moodle. You should also rename the moodle directory to another name before reinstalling to make sure that there are not conflicting files.

CVS is usually the best way to do get the files. However, you can do the same thing by uploading the moodle zip file and unzipping it there on the site.
In reply to Bill Burgos

by Patricia Mueller -

Hi Bill

I have already installed several times and all of them fresh install. I really don't have any database to back up, I wipe them all out completely and start from scratch and I get the same result each time.

I also tried installing Moddle 1.4.5 (smooth and no problem at all) and then tried upgrading to 1.5.2 and I still end up with a blank admin/index.php

If only I can figure out just how to make Moodle create the blocks database...

Thanks smile

by Bill Burgos -
Hi Patricia,

It seems that maybe the 'blocks' directory/files are not there.

One way to check is to see if the 'blocks' directory is present in your installation. It should be right below moodle:

moodle/blocks

Also check to see if there other directories and files there under 'blocks'

If not, then you have an incomplete installation and should get a new one from the download site.

http://download.moodle.org/

by David Wilkinson -

Hi,

Just a thought, but a blank admin/index.php reminds me that maybe the index.php file in the admin folder has some blank spaces or DOS characters at the end of the file. I know that there are some posts in the forum that talk about what happens if you get a page with too many characters or a carriage return at the end of the file.

I have seen a few posts on this forum lately with this same problem of a blank admin/index.php file after a 1.5 installation.

Regards,
David 

In reply to David Wilkinson

by Patricia Mueller -
Hi David,

I did not make any alterations to the admin/index.php file.  I just know it is misbehaving on my end smile  although I did open the file and just read through the codes to follow the order of installations.  thanks
In reply to David Wilkinson

by elearning edu -
Hi,
It is a fact that a blank line/DOS character may pose problem.  Please open your config.file with an editor and check that at the end no space is left.  Put the cursor at the end of the Tag, save and upload.
Nagarajan

by Patricia Mueller -
The saga continues....

Ok, this time I wiped out mysql tables and started fresh and from scratch BUT I decided instead to use Mozilla Firefox as my browser.

Once again I encountered the same thing, installation would proceed until the Modules table database creation and then... a blank admin/index.php file

So I decided to click the back button until I get to the screen where I config the variables... shift+refresh the page then save... lo and behold! it continues to install other database tables...then another blank admin/index.php page. I repeated the click back button and shift+refresh until I ran once again to another blank admin/index.php page

I persisted....

I went back to the main page to install.php and installation continues.. the block database tables were created...then another blank admin/index.php page

I can't remember anymore the order of url change I did and the number of refreshing and saving the admin/config.php file... but I ended up having a main page with the blocks showing...woohoo!!!

now..to login as admin.... not successful... I had to go to admin/user.php to get the page to load and change the admin profile....then I was able to get in.

All seems copacetic at this point.. but when I click on the admin link on the Administration block... guess what tongueout .. I get a blank admin/ page and the same thing happen if I click on the Administration link on the bread crumb....

but looks like I have a working Moodle 1.5.2 site now smile

Maybe someone can make sense with this quirky install procedure..if not, I have been to the Moodle twillight zone!

Peace!

by Jason Hando -
Hi Patricia,

Sounds like you've been on some journey smile All valuable learning experience I am sure ;)

I have no idea if this is the problem you are faciing but one time, when I was installing Moodle, I opened the config file in the file manager on a remote host (via cpanel) and little did I know that by doing this a blank line was added to the bottom of the doc. I just read where you said, "although I did open the file and just read through the codes to follow the order of installations." What did you open it with?

I now use Dreamweaver to open all php, html etc files and never a blank line causing problems.

One last idea, could you be having a limit to your sql database size on host?

Just fishing for answers.

Jason
In reply to Jason Hando

by Larry Shield -
Any text will work as long at one goes to the absolute last line in a file and backspaces until the cursor rests at the last character in the last line. With the cursor there no added characters will be added.

What can be a problem is to open the files in a word processing program (Word, WordPerfect, etc.) and not in a text editor (Notepad, vi, ed, etc.).