Lesson Problems

Lesson Problems

by Ruby Gallery -
Number of replies: 10

Hello,

I have added a lesson and need the student to do research online and take a screenshot of their research result and "paste" it into the question answer in the lesson.  However, when you paste an image to the answer section of an essay question for example, the student can see it, but when accessed by admin to mark, there is nothing.

Another thing is the short answer option in the lessons.  AS a student you don't seem to have a space/opportunity to answer the actual question anywhere?  Am I missing something? 

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ruby Gallery

Re: Lesson Problems

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Ruby,

It is not possible to "paste" an image in the editor for lesson essay question and it would be rather complicated to add this feature to the lesson module.

The only possibility for student to include an image in their response to essay questions is to use the editor's Image button and to paste an URL here (there is no filepicker to upload a file). Of course this won't help you as this only work for an image that is already online, not for a screenshot they have on their computer.

May I suggest to use another activity to achieve this kind of assignment ?

• The quiz module has an essay question and here you can choose to allow the use of the filepicker
  • The assignment module permit to allow students to upload files
For your problem with shortanwer question in lessons, I don't understand. Can you provide a screenshot of the problem ?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Ruby Gallery -

Hi Jean-Michel,

Thanks for your response, I will look into the quiz module.

As for the second question here is the screenshot.  I have added a short answer question to my lesson, but as a student logged in, when you get to that question, there seem to be no provision to type in an answer.

Thanks

Ruby

In reply to Ruby Gallery

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

I am unable to reproduce your problem using more and clean themes (image done with more theme)

shortanswer more theme

I think it could be a problem with your theme, so try to switch the theme to clean or more to see if it solve the problem or not (if you are already using more, try to remove any customization you have done)

What version of Moodle are using ?

by Ruby Gallery -

I have switched the theme and also took out all modifications, but still had the same problem.  I then added the quiz module with an essay question and a short answer question.  The short answer question worked great, however with the essay, you still could not upload a file/image to embed i.e. a screen shot.

Where do I check for the version?

The assignment module I will give a go, but then each question is broken up into separate assignments, where I was after the workbook approach....

Thanks for you help so far!

In reply to Ruby Gallery

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

If you have administrator rights on your Moodle server, to find what version you are using, go to "Site Administration" -> "Notifications"

If you don't have administrator rights, the easiest way is to ask your administrator smile

All recent versions of Moodle allow to create essay questions in quiz with the ability for student to upload and embed image. When you create the question you need to choose "HTML editor with file picker" for "Response format".

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Also, if your theme allows it, you can see which Moodle version you have by clicking on the Moodle docs for this page link at the bottom of your screen - the number you see in big top right when the docs appear will be the number of your version.

In reply to Ruby Gallery

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ruby,

When you create an essay question for a quiz, the default is HTML editor only which will not allow students to upload a file/image. When creating/editing an essay question you need to set the Response Format to HTML editor with file picker and then they will be able to upload files/images. It is perfectly okay to go back and edit previously created questions and change the response format to HTML editor with file picker.

HTH,

AL