MP4 Video not playing in Lesson (no problem in Test or label)

MP4 Video not playing in Lesson (no problem in Test or label)

by willem stempvoort -
Number of replies: 7

Hi 

I've got a strange problem.

mp4 videofiles will not play in the lesson module; In the upload screen they play but saved in the lesson page they don't. The same video plays allright ( but in quite a small format, how to change this is another question, but at the moment the minor problem) in a Label or a the Test module.

TIA for the help

Willem

Attachment VideoNotPlayingOnTheLessonPage.jpg
Attachment videoplays in Insertscreen.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to willem stempvoort

Re: MP4 Video not playing in Lesson (no problem in Test or label)

by Brian Rigwald -

I have had this issue before.  There is an old post somewhere about it.  The trick is to simply change the extension from .mp4 to .flv before uploading it.  For some reason, the player doesn't like the mp4 extension, even though it plays mp4 files.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brian Rigwald

by Ana Martins -

Changing format from .mp4 to .flv works like a charm for me Yes

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What I do is just install the PoodLL filter, set it to display content and headings, and the make sure it is above the Multimedia plugins, in the Manage filters page.

The PoodLL filter plays .mp4 files just fine on Lesson pages, in Labels, and in test questions. If you also install the other parts of PoodlLL, they give even more versatility.

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

What you see in the preview window is the HTML5 player. From the screenshot it looks like when it is failing to play back it is trying to use quicktime. As Al said if you install and set up the PoodLL filter, PoodLL will handle it for you.

Or you could tell the multi media plugins filter to let html5 players handle it. Do that by going to 

Site Admin -> appearance -> media embedding

ensure HTML5 video is checked, and Quicktime Player is unchecked.  Does that work?

In reply to Justin Hunt

by willem stempvoort -

Hi Justin, Al and Brian,

Thanks for the replies

@Justin I already had enabled html5 and disabled quicktime . Isn't it strange the problem doesn't appear in a Test or a Label. What is so particular in the lesson module? Maybe Poodle will handle this but every extra plugin installed makes you're moodle update timeline more dependent on the maintenance of the plugins. Furthermore moodle mediaplayer itself should be able to handle this , it does the job at least in the other parts of moodle.

@Brian Browsing through earlier forumpost I found this workaround and tried it; but it didn't work, alas.

by willem stempvoort -

Hi ,

an update:

I've found out that the same video will play in the moodle demo sandbox installation. So the problem seems specific to our own installation.

Do you have suggestions where to look, what to alter? 

php info is to big to be  atttached but can be found here

TIA!

Willem

by Alan Ball -

I had this problem with images a while back - would work sometimes, but not others.

If you inspect the element inserted into the page, does the URL to the resource work? (ie. is the pluginfile.php query correct, does it download the resource if inputted manually into the address bar? )