New Module: Feedback

New Module: Feedback

by Andreas Grabs -
Number of replies: 268
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi,
I wrote a module that (in my opinion) is a bit easier to use than questionaire (particularly for non experts). The features are similar to this module. I has written this module completely new.

Requirements:
MySQL
moodle 1.4.x
moodle 1.5/1.5.1

The installation is equal to other modules.
screenshots
download
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andreas Grabs

Re: New Module: Feedback

by Rhonda Goetz -

HI.  I installed your module in v1.5.  It installed not problem.  I created a template, worked well, but when I went to look at it, I got this:

error

In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by David T. Cannon -

It appears if you are logged in as admin, or teacher even maybe, you cant take the questionaire. You need to log out and in as a student.

Dave.

In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by Andreas Grabs -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Rhonda,
if you are loged in as teacher or admin, you have to click on "Edit elements..." to add or modify items to the Feadback. Only students can fill out the questions.

by Rhonda Goetz -
Yep that seems to be the case.  Love this module.  Great work!

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Andreas - this is fantastic - exactly what i have been looking for!

I have installed it and it seems to be working fine - will do some more testing over the next few days.

I am using activity locking - my students need to submit several pieces of workj before they can finish their topics based course. What woudl be the easiest way for me to integrate this feedback module into activity locking. At the moment it shows up as "users must view" 0 but I want themt o submit, not just view, in order to finish and request their certification. Any ideas?

great job on the module!

Nikki

In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Nikki,
sorry, my english is not perfect. That's why I dont understand your question. Can you repeat it more detailed? Thanks!

by N Hansen -
Tell me if the attached annotated screenshot helps at all to understand my first 3 points. As for the 4th point, you might want to take a look at the questionnaire excel output to see what I am talking about.
Attachment sampfeed.jpg

by Nikki Macfarlane -
No problem Andreas. I think I need to change something other than your module - so don't worry.

One other question though. Once the studnet completes the feedback form, where will the information be sent to? Will it go to all teachers for the course? I have my students in groups with one teacher per group. I only want the teacher looking after that student to get the feedback and a copy to admin. Is this possible? I could not see anywhere to modify who gets the feedback.

Thanks, Nikki

by Andreas Grabs -
At the moment every teacher gets every feedback.

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Andreas,

Is the feedback supposed to be emailed directly to the teachers, or simply held on the site to be viewed under Analysis?

I can see it under analysis but am not getting any email notifications when I test it.

Nikki

by Andreas Grabs -
Nikki,
at moment no emailes are sent but it is a good idea.
Andreas

by N Hansen -
Andreas-This is great! I think it might be better to incorporate this into the standard Moodle instead of the questionnaire module, since it is much more Moodle like to use, as long as some of the nice features of the questionnaire module are added. You might want to work with Mike Churchward to this as there is material from the questionnaire module that it would be nice to incorporate.

Here are several suggestions I have for you:

1-The questions should be aligned on the left next to their number, rather than right aligned.
2-The student's name should not appear at the top of the feedback when they are answering the questions.
3-There should be a line break between questions.
4-It would be helpful if the Excel file were not simply a repeat of what is on the page, but a student-by-student analysis, as is the case in the questionnaire module.
In reply to N Hansen

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,
thanks for your suggestions.
  1. I agree, it looks better.
  2. I'm not shure. If the feedback is anonymous the name does not appear.
  3. There is an element called "label". It is easy to make a line break with it. You can create any labels to seperate or describe questions or group of questions.
    Sorry, Now I understand you. I agree.
  4. The excel-Export creates two worksheets. One as overview (name=<feedbackname>) and one as detailed view (name=detailed). The only thing I found there is no students name listed. Is it what you mean?

by Ger Tielemans -

If I could create in the same way clusters of the answers on the questions( in a result-form), this would become a very universal module!

For example: if I could bring in things like: score Q1+Q3+Q4 >= 8 then echo "xxx"else echo"yyy" etc 

by N Hansen -
I understand why you would want the name of the respondent to appear in the teacher's view, but the student doesn't need to see their own name when they are filling in the feedback.

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Now we have *two* Feedback Modules. big grin Here is original Lecture Feedback Module built by Narumi Sekiya for version 1.3. It is a way to collect and colate ideas from large lecture classes. And here its newest version, remade for 1.5 by Tom Robb, and named the Feedback Module.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Ger Tielemans -

So we need an agency that regulates the names for modules, blocks, databases, but also language files!!

The change to double the meaning of a string grows every day.... I saw the first clash in essay feedback: different meanings 

Naturally part of the documentation project?

Helps also to keep an overview of all these frog modules and blocks..

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Andreas Grabs -
sorry, I was probably somewhat naive wink.
Is there any suggestion to rename it? It should be an english word but my english is not so good sad.
Thanks for this tip!

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Andreas -

I'm going to take a look at your module today. At present, the questionnaire module is slated to become a standard part of Moodle. The conversion of it to the Moodle database API was just completed. From the screenshots, it looks like you have created a much nicer interface for editing surveys.

Longer term, the plan is to rename the questionnaire module to the existing survey module, and make the survey that is the current survey module into one of the available template surveys.

Other than the interface, are there other features of your module that you feel are an improvement over the questionnaire? It only makes sense that we have one of these.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Anthony Williams -

I really like this new module. It seems more "moodley" (moodle-esque?) than questionnaire.

Here's a couple of things which would make it perfect for us:

1. Could it be used with groups? We run the same course each week so it would be great to see each group's feedback

2. Could we have a respond once/respond many option like the questionnaire module has.

Keep up the great work

Anthony

In reply to Anthony Williams

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Anthony,
using groups is not implemented yet. It is planned for next time. The respond once/respond many option is likewise not implemented but I can do this.
Andreas

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Mike,
the main difference is the interface. Some features of questionaire (eg. using groups) are not implemented yet.
Your questionaire are really great but I know teachers, who have difficulties to use these module because they are not experts.
Andreas

by Mike Churchward -
Hi Andreas -

I like the simplicity of the interface as well; I think you've come up with a fairly intuitive way to manage these.

Its been tempting to do a more complete replacement of the questionnaire module, and I think you may have provided some great opportunities. I have already begun stripping out chunks of phpESP anyway.

I've gone through your code, and while I like the way its organized, I think it still needs some effort to get to the same level as phpESP. The nice part about it is, as you say, its done 'Moodly', and therefore easy to pick up.

I think it would be great if we could work on this together, to bring the existing module up to speed - probably with some combination of the two. I would love to be able to create a module that would allow other question types to be created and 'plugged-in'. These plug-ins would allow for different groupings, different analyses and different displays. Additionally, come up with a standard theme structure to make this easier (using Moodle's theme structure).

What's your thoughts?

mike

by W Page -
Hello All!

My "un-asked for" opinion would be this.
It would be great to see both you work together on this project.  smile

Just wondering thoughtful.  Are you both considering the addition of chart or graph generation of results?  [In colors determined by the Questionnaire creator - Yeah! I know I am pushing it here. smile big grin]

WP1

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Mike,
I'm afraid, I don't understand your posting correctly. Is there a way to write simpler sentences. Thank you.
I'm not sure, whether my module should be a replacement of your questionaire-module. My main intention is that everyone it can use intuitively. If there are to many features it quickly becomes unuseable for non experts. Otherwise my feedback-module is not perfect yet.
At the moment I implement the group ability.

by Andreas Grabs -
Hallo Mike,
I have looked at the code of your questionaire. It seems to be very complexed. I don't know, whether I can help you to bring our both modules together. My module is much simpler than your module. What you had visualized how we can work together. I think like you it would be nice if we could work together. It is a very good way to increase my know-how on programming. (And perhaps my english will be better wink)

by N Hansen -
I think the thing about this new module that I really like is the interface for creating the survey. You see immediately what it looks like, you can move questions up and down, adding various answers is very easy, just hit return between options. The ability to insert labels is nice too.

Vast: New Module: Feedback

by Ari Ranta -
Hello Andreas,
Thank you for a fine module.
I run Moodle 1.4.4, MySQL 4.0.20 and php 4.3.10. Everything works fine except the analysis. I get this error message:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: bcmod() in /home/customers/xxx/public_html/moodle/mod/feedback/item/radio/lib.php on line 75
Any ideas how to solve the problem?
Have you plans to upgrade the module to work with 1.5.2?

Regards
Ari

In reply to Ari Ranta

Re: Vast: New Module: Feedback

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Ari,
the bcmod()-function is a standard mathematical function of php. It should be present at all current php-versions since php 4.0.4.
I can make a check for this function. If it is not present I use an alternative.
The feedback-module works under 1.5.2.

Re: Vast: New Module: Feedback

by Ger Tielemans -
another 1.5.2 problem (under https?)
when I create a field I get this message:
The form did not come from this page! (referer = https://studiewijzerplus.nl/divers/junimoodle15/mod/feedback/edit_item.php)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Vast: New Module: Feedback (PROBLEM SOLVED)

by Ger Tielemans -
With the new download from july 20, my problem is solved, thanks!

by Andreas Grabs -
Hallo,

first I would like to thank at all for testing my module lächelnd.
I have a new version of it.

Here are the changes:
  • adding group-ability (I'm hoping it is ok so)
  • fixed missing bcmod()-Function-Problem
  • fixed referer-problem under https

Download:
feedback.zip

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Andreas,

Have just tested the new version and the group functionality does not appear to be working. I had expected that when a student completed a feedback form, only the teacher in their group could view it. Is that right?

I set up a course using the feedback form with one student, one editing teacher and two non editing teachers. All the teachers could view the form even when the student was in a group with only one of the non editing teachers.

Does this make sense?

What is odd, is the dates of the files in the zip file you listed as the new version are not from the last 24 hours. The most recent file is from July 17th. The lib.php file is dated July 8th. Have I downloaded the correct version?

Nikki

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Nikki,
there are three groupmodes in a course (to switch in Course-Settings).
  • No Groups
  • Seperate Groups
  • Visible Groups
If the groupmode is Seperate Groups then only the students in the teachers current group are visible.
if the groupmode is No Groups or Visible Groups the teacher can switch the view

I suppose your groupmode is Seperate Groups so that the teacher only can see the students in his own group.

Thank you for the tip with the file-date. My mashine where I'm developing is not time-synchronised traurig. I have to change this, sorry.

by Jesús Martín -
Hi.
Here is the Spanish translation...
In reply to Jesús Martín

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jesús,
that's great. Can i put it in my current package?

by Jesús Martín -
Of course... and your module is great...
In reply to Jesús Martín

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jesús,
thank you! I have put it into the current package.
<download>

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
A very minor bug
If you cretae your own feedback form and then you go to edit it again, you reach the editing page with the "Name" field empty.

Thank you for your great package.
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by Timothy Takemoto -

As Don says above it is sad that this module has the same name as the Feedback module by Narumi Sekiya and Thomas Robb. I am trying to get this working (by adding hidden sesskey's) but I am not there yet.

Since we already have feeback, survey and questionnaire, I am not sure what to suggest.

I guess that the Sekiya-Robb module's functionality should reallly be combined with the assignment module.

But I also hope that the questionnaire and (this thread) feedback module can work together.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Art Lader -
Since we already have feeback, survey and questionnaire, I am not sure what to suggest.

Maybe you could call it something like the "querymod."

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Andreas Grabs -
Hello Art,
thank you for your suggestion. What do you think about feedbackform?
Andreas

by Art Lader -
Oops, missed this. Too late now, but that sounds like a good name.

-- Art

by Colin McQueen -
Hi

Great module. Much easier to use than the questionnaire module (QM). Hopefully the two can be integrated as there are some question types in the QM that are really useful like the clustered questions with a grid of answers. I really like the excel export with it's two worksheets.

A bug?

I cannot get the movement of elements up or down working? If you try to move the bottom one up it stays there and the second bottom one loses it's down arrow.

A suggestion

Can we have element order changing like the resource/activity ordering in a course so you can move elements to any place in one go OR like the teacher order dialogue where you can type the order into text boxes.
In reply to Colin McQueen

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Colin,
thankyou for your suggestions. I think like you. I have written this already in my ToDo-List wink.
Now to your failure. What version of feedback-module do you use? The last version is "2005100303". It is optimized for moodle 1.5.x. The failure you describe unfortunately I can not reproduce.
Andreas

by Colin McQueen -
Hi

Feedback Module Version: 2005100303
Moodle Version: 1.6 development (2005101200)
The feedback resource has 7 elements. The last one (7th) will not move position but it looks like it's partly worked because the 6th one loses it's down arrow as if it were last. (7th). Attached a screenshot showing two "bottom" elements.

I suspect the problem must be the development version of Moodle if it works for you?

Attachment FeedbackBug.jpg

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Colin,
I tested this module under 1.6 not yet. But I will do this at next time.
Thank you!
Andreas

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Colin,
this behavior is due to the using of special char like ('). I will fix it so far as possible.
Andreas

Er: New Module: Feedback

by Juan Ezeiza -

Hi,

Thank You for your great module. I've translated it into Basque.

In reply to Juan Ezeiza

Re: Er: New Module: Feedback

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Juan,
thank you very much! I included your language-file into the current download.
Andreas

by N Hansen -
Andreas-Thanks again for this wonderful module and for your continued attention to developing it. I am going to start using it but I have some suggestion for you. Is it possible to make the answers anonymous but allow a teacher (or at least an admin) to know who has and hasn't filled in the feedback? Such a feature would allow it to be used for required course evaluations.
In reply to N Hansen

by N Hansen -
I have found a bug. I have created a feedback and made it a template. It has five questions, 4 radio buttons and one textarea. When I go to create another feedback and use the template, it only displays the first radio button and one text area question. The other 3 questions have disappeared.
In reply to N Hansen

by N Hansen -
OK, I've looked in the database. It seems to be having a problem when it should be inserting the template items as actual items belonging to a particular instance of the feedback. Only the two items are inserted in the table, even if they already exist as template items.
In reply to N Hansen

by N Hansen -
I should add it is not saving the initial template with more than the two questions either (I just had done it manually in the database to see what would happen). I reinstalled the entire module to see if that helped and it didn't.
In reply to N Hansen

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,
I can not reproduce your behavior. You can create and use templates with one or more different items. Can you explain more precisely what happens. Perhaps I do not understand you correctly.
Andreas
In reply to N Hansen

by Dan Hilke -

Feedback doesn't seem to be working with Activity Locking at all.

I want to require students to fill out the Feedback at the end of the course before they can get their Certificate, and I thought I was doing that by locking the Certificate until after the prerequisite Feedback.

The Certificate is never unlocked though; regardless if the Feedback is viewed or even completed.

Is this an issue with the Feedback module, or AL??

Dan

BTW - my compliments to the creator of Feedback!!

In reply to Dan Hilke

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Dan,
thank you for this tip.
Andreas

by Dan Hilke -

Andreas,

I sure appologize if I've wasted your time, but my problem with Activity Locking is NOT specific to the Feedback.  I'm finding that other things are not unlocking as well...  I'll have to look again at the AL version that I have.

Very sorry,
Dan

In reply to N Hansen

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,
sorry for my late answer. I'm not sure, whether it is a good idea to make it visible who has filled out or who has not. The anonymity is important for me.
A solution could be the ActivityLocking (thank you Dan for your tip) but it does not work at this time. I will check this in next time.
Andreas

Svar: New Module: Feedback lang/sv

by Anders Berggren -

Hi,

Here's the Swedish translation.

Cheers, Anders

In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: New Module: Feedback lang/sv

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Anders,
thank you very much. I included your language in the current download of this module.
bye Andreas

by Jim Proctor -
Is your most recent download available at

http://www.grabs-edv.com/referenzen/moodle/feedback-Modul/download.php

?  Or do you have it on Moodle CVS?

Thanks,

Jim
In reply to Jim Proctor

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jim,
yes, your address is the right source.
I haven't it on moodle-CVS.
Bye
Andreas

by Jérôme DEMIAUX -
hi andreas,

i want to install your module to test it cause everybody say it's wonderful.
So i put your "feedback directory" under my "mod directory", ut when i go to the administration pages nothing happens.
i'm very sad.

my config : apache 2.0, php 5.1.1, mysql 5.0.16.
feedback directory has apache rights.
 idea ??????

jérôme
In reply to Jérôme DEMIAUX

by Jérôme DEMIAUX -
I've tried to install "feedback" on another server with the same configuration and it's work.
The  only different is the number of modules installed.
So i've removed some of them on the first server and now it's work.
Maybe an incompatibility with another module.
I've removed anonquestion, booking, choice, flash,presentation (which don't work), reservation, scheduler, stampcol and survey.

I can reinstall succesfully all of them except presentation and stampcoll.
It's not a scientific demonstration but now i can use your module

Jérôme.

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jérôme,

I suppose, it is one of your modules. There could be one module that seems not installed correctly so that other modules have problems with it. My module does not modify any tables than its own. The fact that nothing happens let me assume moodle is busy with another process or the checking of new modules is broken by another module. Is this behavior only with my module?

Andreas

by Jérôme DEMIAUX -
Hi Andreas,

Now everythings are OK. All my modules work fine except Stampcoll and Presentation that i've removed.
i've tried feedback and i've made a rapid translation for french users like me.
All files are encoded with iso-8859-1 charset type.

Thanks,
Jérôme

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jérôme,
thank you for your language-package. I put it into the current download.
Best regards
Andreas

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Andreas,

I've upgraded the french translation of the feedback module. The attached file should replace the one that is now in your distro. It's encoded in utf-8.

I didn't have the time to adapt the help files. sad

Thanks for your amazing tool.

hii

by monaliza singla -

hello

may i know about moodle,

what technology is compatible with it,what we hav to do for making site after downloading moodle.

In reply to monaliza singla

Re: hii

by M Y -
Hello Monaliza,

Welcome to the Moodle Community.

The first place to start is to checkout Moodle Docs.

Here is a little reading list for you:

Welcome to the Moodle community and Good Luck!

--Martin

by Michael Penney -
Hi Andreas, does this do branching? If not, how hard do you think it would be to add branching in?
In reply to Michael Penney

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Michael,
I'm sorry. What do you mean with branching?
Andreas

by N Hansen -
I'm not Michael...but branching means if a person answers a question one way, they are sent to a certain branch of questions, and if they answer it another way, they are sent to another set of questions. For example:

Do you like to eat fruit? yes, no

If the person answered "yes" they would be sent to a question asking them:

What is your favorite kind of fruit?

If they answered "no" it wouldn't ask this question and might simply move on to:

Do you like vegetables?
In reply to N Hansen

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,
thank you. Sometimes I am very stupid wink.
Branching is not planned. I think it would make the handling of this module to complex for normal teachers without or with few computer-knowledge.
Andreas

by Marion de Groot -

Andreas, thank you for this terrific module! It is just what I need and works very well. The only thing I wanted to do that was not possible was making a question like this: How did you find out about our website? a) advertisement in a magazine / newspaper b) Google c) Word of mouth d) other, that is : < textarea > < /textarea > I made it into 2 questions now, one multiple choice, one textarea and made the element numbering invisible so I could do the numbering myself (and make 2 elements into 1 question). Maybe you could consider this for the next version ...

I found one little bug: when testing, I filled out the feedback form 10 times. When I deleted 9 of my entries, the count on the analysis page still said: 10 completed feedbacks (instead of 1).

I am working on the dutch translation too, when it's complete I'll post it here for you to include Thanks again! Marion

In reply to Marion de Groot

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Marion,

i know the numbering isn't perfect. I planned a kind of structuring (eg. 1), 1.1), 2) ). Your idea to make a question unnumbered would be a good enhancement.
Your bug i couldn't reproduce. Every times i deleted an entry the shown count of completed feedbacks are correct on my mashine. What configuration do you use for your feedback (Anonymous or not, multiple submits, what kind of browser and so on)? Do you use the last version (current is 2005100305)?

Andreas

by Marion de Groot -

Hi Andreas,

The config: not anonymous, multiple submit (or single), IE6.0, moodle 1.5.2, feedback module 2005100305

Maybe it was a caching problem...

By the way, how do I open the tutorials?

Here is the Dutch translation for the feedbackmodule.

Marion

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Marion,

thank you for your language-package. I put it into the current download.
The tutorial was made by Markku Lahtinen. He used phpDocumentor for it. I unfortunately do not know about this. I think the tutorial isn't ready for use yet. Markku just seems very busy.

best regards
Andreas

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Andreas,

I wanted to give your module a try. Is the download link you have at the beginning of this thread a link to the latest version of your module? Thanks.

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Richard Ackland -

This is a fantastic module for getting feedback from students. I have used questionnaire until now.. but this is simpler to use and set up and just as useful. It is a godsend when I have to produce by termly analysis of student performance - students have to comment about various aspects of their lessons - this does all the hard work for me...

will it work with 1.6?

cheers

richard

In reply to Richard Ackland

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your words and for your using the feedback-module.
I tested it at some versions of 1.6, just at the current version too. There i found no problems. But the tests were not performed on productions-systems with high traffic.

Best regards
Andreas

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Josep,
sorry for my late answer. Yes the download link on top give you the current version.
Andreas

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, I downloaded it and it is working like a charm. Thanks a lot for this contribution.

Josep M.

by Jamie Pratt -
Hi Andreas,

I'm going to be working on making this module available on mobile phones as part of the Moodle for Mobiles project.

One of our requirements is to have the analysis of results optionally displayed for students. I see this is on your todo list. I could work on this and have a patch to submit to you in the next few days. But I thought I would check with you first.

Can I go ahead with this, have you any advice about how this should be done?

Edit: Actually I just had a look at how it could be done and I've started doing it. I shifted the code from analysis.php to a function in lib.php and then have added function calls to show feedback after the user submits good input and below the feedback is already submitted message when the user clicks on the activity to do it again.

Will also add an option to the module config so that a teacher can choose whether to show feeback to users.

Is this OK? Do you think we can integrate what I do into your distribution?

Your code looks very clean and is very easy to follow by the way, thanks for this great module.

Jamie

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jamie,

i have just included the possibility to show the results to students. It can be adjusted in the config-area of the feedback-activity.
download
Sorry, that i don't use your work. I was allmost fineshed whith that feature. It only was a small change. In addition i have fixed a little bug. Now it is no longer possible to submit the feedback repeatedly via reloading the browser.

Andreas

by Markus Knierim -
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for adding this feature (showing results to students) to your great module approve

I have a few questions or feature requests, actually: big grin
  • Would it be possible to decide on an item-by-item basis if the results are displayed to students, maybe by adding an extra icon to each element (similar to the required/not required option)? For example, I'd rather not publish demographic information but only the responses to the "real" questions.
  • When a feedback is non-anonymous, it would be useful to have the users' names in the Excel output as well, wouldn't it? Right now neither the general tab nor the detailed tab in Excel contain the users' names (unless I'm missing something here).
  • I would love to see the possibility of students looking at their own submissions and changing/updating the information they have entered originally. For example, when using the Feedback module to have students sign up for courses, it would be nice if they were able to update their choice of courses without filling in a completely new feedback form (granted that multiple submissions are allowed).
  • And one more: I think it would be great if the Feedback module, like most other activity modules, had the option of defining an open and close date.
Please, don't feel pressured to implement these features overnight wink I just thought they might be useful additions to your module. Thanks a lot for all your effort! cool

Markus
In reply to Markus Knierim

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Markus,

1. the possibility to publish or unpublish several items sounds good. I write it into my todo-list.
  2. You are right. On non-anonymous feedbacks should be printed out the usernames in excel.
  3. The updating of non-anonymous, multiple-submit allowed feedbacks is a good idea. In this case every feedback will overridden anyway.
  4. A start and end-date feature is already in my todo-list
I will see when i have time enough i can do these things.

Andreas

by Jamie Pratt -
How do you feel your module should handle guests Andreas?

Right now it seems that guest access is possible but if 'multiple submitting' is not allowed then only the first guest may submit their choices.

By the way your module is working great on 1.6 for me! smile  I did convert the en language pack to en_utf8 but as I understand all modules will have this done automatically by a script Martin Langhoff is working on.
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,
you are right. If the access is anonymously by guests you have to allow multiple submitting.
Andreas

by Jamie Pratt -
Maybe we should disallow guest access if 'multiple submit' is not on or the feedback module is set to collect feedback non anonymously.

Or we should allow multiple submits for guests even if multiple submits are not allowed for others.

In other words see the table below. We should make the two cases highlighted in yellow the same either allowed or not allowed. I think it should not work that only the first guest should be able to submit their choice.

Multiple Submit
Anonymous Access
Guest first submission
Guest second and after submission
User first submissionUser second and after submission
off
off
not allowed
not allowedallowed
not allowed
off
on
allowed - now allowed
allowed - now not allowed
allowednot allowed
on
off
not allowed
not allowed
allowedallowed
on
on
allowedallowedallowedallowed

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jamie,
i'm not sure whether it is really necessary. There is currently no malfunction. In my opinion we have a ilogical behavior if i implement your suggestion. The currently options are quite clear. It you choose no multiple submit so you can assume the guest can do only one submit likewise all other. If the guest in this case could do more submits it would be ilogical.
bye
Andreas

by Jamie Pratt -
I notice in lib.php you have some functions whose names are not prefixed by 'feedback_'

All function names in lib.php are meant to be prefixed by your module name in order to avoid conflicts with other module's lib.php functions. I believe lib.php is included sometimes in pages with lib.php included from many other module, so if by chance someone writes a module with the same function name in their lib.php as one of your functions then Moodle would throw an error.
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jamie,
i am working on this. I sweat whenever i remember it errötend.
Best regards
Andreas

by Jamie Pratt -
For the Moodle for Mobiles project I'm working on having one poll question per page.

It looks like you have already set up tables to support temporarily storing submitted values before the whole form is submitted. I see adding page breaks is also part of your todo list.

I'm guessing really at how this is meant to work but I guess that the values field 'tmp_completed' which is currently unused will point to a 'completed' record until the whole form has been submitted and then if the data submitted is validated then all the 'value' records' 'tmp_completed' fields will be set to 0 and instead the 'completed' field will be set to point to the 'completed' record.

Is this correct?

While writing I thought of a possible problem with this - although this will track the entered data of all logged in users correctly, we will have problems tracking multiple guests entering data at once.

If you're not sure if or how you will support paged forms that is OK I will go ahead and work on a way to do it for the Moodle for Mobiles project but if you have a plan then I'd be interested in hearing it.
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jamie,
no it isn't so.
The pagebreak is almost ready by Markku Lahtinen. He is using the session for temporarily values.
The field tmp_completed i'm using for the backup-/restore-procedure.
Bye
Andreas

by Steve Hyndman -

I've just discovered your feedback module Andreas. I installed on a test 1.5.3 site and it seems to work great. I have been looking for a way to easily create an online registration system (posted here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=41948) and it seems this would work great for that purpose...in fact, it is much better than what I found in websitebaker.

Thanks for this great module.

Steve

by Steve Hyndman -

Andreas,

Would it be very difficult to incorporate Captcha Verification as an option into this great module?

I'm thinking of setting this up to allow anonymous completion and multiple submit so that individuals without accounts can complete training and conference registration forms on the front of my site. I'm a little concerned with SPAM if I set it up this way. I could limit it to users with accounts, but would rather not have to do that.

I realize this is not the intended purpose of the module, but I think it could serve this purpose very well.

Thanks.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Andreas Grabs -
Hello Steve,
it should be possible as an additional item. I wrote this in my todo-list.
Andreas

by Steve Hyndman -
Great....thanks Andreas. I spent much of yesterday exploring your module and doing some customizing of the language to make it work as a registration system.

I'm now playing around with the "Analysis" page to try and make its output more like the "detailed" sheet in the Excel output. If you have any tips on how I could easily do this it would be great...I'll figure it out, but with my programming skills it'll take me a while smile.

Thanks again for this module...it will help me out a great deal.

Steve

by Dan Hilke -

Steve,

Can you give a little more detail about what you mean by "registration system"?

In my case, I would like to collect a couple items of information (for instance, which state a user is from) and make specific courses available based on this; as well as keep one of the fields (professional license number) for displaying on a Certificate when they finish a course.

Is this possible using the Feedback module??

Thanks,
Dan

In reply to Dan Hilke

by Steve Hyndman -
Dan,

I'll open a site I'm currently developing for a little while so you can take a look at what I'm trying to do...you won't have access to courses, but you can see what I'm working on for the reghistration system: http://www.kentuckyclassroom.com/ksba

I'm just using the site to test the changes I'm attempting to make to the feedback module...I'm really interested in using it to allow people to register for on-ground training, but I could also use it for online training as well. There is already an Excel export feature built in that allows you to download the data. Sheet 1 of the Excel output summarizes the results...not useful for my purposes, but sheet 2 (called results) actually reports the results exactlly like I need.

So the only thing I'm trying to do now is change the bult-in analysis report (which summarizes the data like you would want in a survey or poll) and make that output look like what is reported in sheet 2 of the Excel output. Captcha Verification would just be "icing on the cake" smile

It was built for online surveys and polls, but there is no reason (that I can think of) that prevents you from using it to collect any kind of data you want.

Hope this helps.

by Dan Hilke -

Steve,

I have to thank you!  I've been trying to figure out a good way to present users with only the courses that apply to them, and I hadn't even considered Feedback as a possibility, but it looks like a good one. 

Also, I happened to look at your profile, and noticed your Blog - great idea!  I've been wishing that I could 'bookmark' posts for myself within the moodle.org forums, but the Blog idea is even better!  I'm going to start one tomorrow.

Thanks for the two great tips!
Dan

In reply to Dan Hilke

by Steve Hyndman -
You are welcome Dan. Actually, I haven't been doing a good job at keeping my blog updated...I have good intentions, but haven't been following through smile

The blog is a good way to bookmark and document things to share with the public, but an even better way...easier way, to bookmark useful Moodle posts for yourself is through gmail.

I've set-up a gmail account that I only use in my profile on Moodle. So all the forum posts I'm subscribed to on Moodle.org come to that dedicated gmail account. each time I open the account, after I browse/read the forum posts, I just archive all posts...if there are any I want to have for future reference, I simply "star" the post before archiving. Then my starred folder in gmail contains the posts I want to keep for quick reference...see below. With the ton of free storage space I get on my gmail account, I should be able to keep these shortcuts for a very long time smile

Starred

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Steve,

each item has a function like "get_analysed_XXX()". This function returns an object or an array depending on the item-type.
Furthermore each item has a function like "print_analysed_XXX()". This function is called by "analysis.php" and prints out the values gotten above.

I'm hoping I could help.
Andreas

by Steve Hyndman -
Thanks Andreas...this is helpful. I have an appointment with a "good programmer" (I'm not a very good programmer smile) to set down and take a look at the changes I need. I'm sure this will be helpful for him.

Steve

by Olga Forlani -

I successfully installed your Module but I have a question for you:

Is it possible to include two different questions in the same box-block ?

Is it possible to set the first of the 2 questions so that the second question depends on the answer given to the first by the student?

Is it possible to disable check or radio button depending to the previous answer?

How can I implement all these functionalities? Any suggestion?

Thank you

Olga

In reply to Olga Forlani

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Olga,
these features are not implementet. Currently there are no plans for this.
You could implement this by creating a additional item. Do look at the feedback/item-directory. There you can copy and modify an existing item.
Andreas

by Olga Forlani -

Thank you, Andreas.

I have another question for you.
I saw that the Feedback module has been developed only for MySQL DataBase, in effect the sub-directory DB contains only two files (mysql.php and .sql). Unfortunately my DB isn't MySQL but PostgreSQL: how can adapt the Module to my DB? Could you help me?

Thanks a lot,
Olga

In reply to Olga Forlani

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Olga,

unfortunately I don't have experience in PostgreSQL. But I can put this in my todo-list (it will become a longer list than I thought wink).

Bye
Andreas

by Utkarshraj Atmaram -
Find the PostgreSQL files for the feedback module in the attached zip file. There are two files: postgres7.php and postgres7.sql please put both these files under feedback/db/ directory.
In reply to Utkarshraj Atmaram

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Utkarshraj,
that is fantastic. If it runs on Olgas installation so I put it directly in the download.
Thank you!
Andreas

by Richard Wyles -

Has anyone got this on a set-up on a test site that they could give me demo access to? Our test sites use PostGres as per our production environments with NZVLE so it's a bit longer for us to check out this module.

Thanks

Richard

In reply to Richard Wyles

by Utkarshraj Atmaram -

Demo of feedback module using PostgreSQL:

Use guest login
http://moodle.dbit.in/mod/feedback/view.php?id=815

We are using PostgreSQL 7.4.7 and Moodle 1.5.2

by Rik Mertens -
Where does the feedback module save the results from each feedback? 

I found the export to Excel option, but the spreadsheet generated requires too much reformatting to be useful for my clients.  I also need the responses from each radio button choice instead of the aggregate data.

I'd like to export the data directly from the MySQL table, but I can't figure out which one has what I need.

Rik 
In reply to Rik Mertens

by Steve Hyndman -

Rik,

The Excel workbook as two sheets...look at the second one...it probably reports the results like you want.

The feedback module has 6 tables...the one you are looking for is feedback_value. That table contains an individual record for each value submitted. The data submitted is in the "Value" field and that field is correlated with the "completed" field (identifying who submitted the input) and the "Item" field (identifying the specific form field).

Although I haven't tried it yet, it should be pretty easy to do a query on that table to produce the results however you want them to be displayed. See a screenshot of that table below with data for a form with 7 items from two people...figaro and cosmo.

feedback table

by Rik Mertens -
Steve,

Thanks for the quick answer.  The second sheet is a winner!

Rik

by Art Lader -
Hi,

I am doing something wrong, I am sure. When I click on "Add element," the page refreshes, but nothing else happens. I assumed that this is how I should build the survey, but that seems to be incorrect.

Can anyone guide me a bit?

Thanks,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
Don't know if this helps, but when I click around on testpage_1.php and testpage_2.php, everything seems to work fine.

Using Moodle version 1.6 beta 3.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -
Hmmm... In order to create the questions I want answered, I should click on the Add element button, right?

-- Art
Attachment feedback.gif
In reply to Art Lader

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Art,
I just tested the feedback-module on moodle 1.6 Beta 3. It runs fine. Perhaps you have forgotten to choose an item before you clicked on the button "Add element".
If it isn't so, please let me know your configuration e.g. windows or linux-server, version of mysql, apache and so on.

Andreas

by Art Lader -
No, I wish that were the case. But that does not mean that I am doing everything right. I assume that this sort of problem is user error and I am usually right. wink

I have attached a little Flash movie. You can see the page refreshing, but that's all that happens. But maybe you can see me doing something wrong.

I will get back to you with the server details.

Thanks for taking an interest in this, Andreas.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Art,

I found the problem. I use api-calls, which in moodle 1.6 are handled different than in moodle 1.5x. Among other things it affects the setting "register globals" in php. I will fix it as soon as possible.

Andreas

by Art Lader -
Dear Andreas,

Thank you for taking a look at it. I am sure that you are very busy, so I will simply look forward to the update whenever it comes. smile

Just in case it is useful to you (probably not, but you never know), here is the info you requested from me:

General server information:
Operating system Linux
Machine Type i686
Apache version 1.3.34 (Unix)
PHP version 4.4.1
MySQL version 4.1.18-standard

Best regards!

-- Art Lader

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Andreas,
I've just found your Feedback Module.
It will be very useful as a replacement for Questionnaire module that is far too complex for the average course-creator I'm working with (hoping no one of them will read this post sorridente).

Anyway, I've installed the module downloaded on April 15 and I've patched it for PostgreSQL I'm using.

I found a couple of problems (bugs?).

When I insert a double quote in the item name, then I save and than get back to edit the item, the quoted sentence disappear.

Looking at the code I've seen that the value of the input field was not HTML-encoded, so double quotes garble the browser.

The little patch I had written (attached) basically adds a format_text(...,FORMAT_PLAIN) around values.

The another problem arise when I backup and restore a course.
I've seen that the restored copy has all multiple entries items (checkbox, radio button etc.) interleaved with empty entries.

Trying to explain it better...
If I have, say, a checkbox with these entries:
  • A
  • B
  • C
...the restored copy has these entries:
  • A

• B

• C

Is it a problem of my installation? Is it a PostgreSQL-specific problem?

Lorenzo

In reply to Lorenzo Nicora

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi again,

I've written another little modification on Feeback module, to display translated item type in the select list when you create a new item.

I've to add new strings to language files as item names in code are different from item name lang string (for example, "Checkbox" is coded as "check", but the lang file defines a string "checkbox").

I patched English and Italian files.
It should not be a problem with other languages as they fall-back to English for undefined strings.

Lorenzo

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Lorenzo,

the same suggestion already was done by Jamie Pratt. As I fixed the issue above I included it now. Now the items can be named in the lang file.
There are some other thinks I have to fix. But it will take a while because currently I have a great deal to do on my job.

Andreas

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Lorenzo,
thank you for this information. I fixed this problem in the current download. Now (so I'm hoping anyway wink) after a restore shouldn't appear blank lines on items like checkbox or radio and so on. In addition quoting of item names are now possible.
Andreas

by Baz Jenner -
Can the template created in a course be used on another course?

I have created a masterpiece but it is only available for that single course it was saved in.

Q1.   Am I missing something?
Q2.   Can it be done / was the module designed to do this?

A1.   Other than my marbles (!), all is working well and it appears to have insatlled OK.  V1.2AL.
A2.   If not, can I do a backup and restore the template in to another course.

Regrads

Baz

In reply to Baz Jenner

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Baz,

you can create public templates. You can not switch a template to public if it is not public. But you can create a new feedback from you private template and after that you can create a new public template.
Backup and restoring of feedbacks is possible too.

I'm hoping it helps.
Andreas
Attachment template.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Eric Kemsley -
I am new to Moddle and do not know how to install this or where to place the unzipped folder.
Please help.

Eric
In reply to Eric Kemsley

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi Eric

Download and unzip the folder to your computer. Then u load the folder feedback via ftp to the follow place:
root/moodle/mod

The language files in:
root/moodle/lang e.g. de (german) en (english)

The help files:
root/moodle/lang/help eg. de (german)

Now login to your moodle, call the admininstration, thats all!
If u have done this, go to a course and look for the module, its a great module!

Bye Andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Dave Wolff -

I have done this but the module does not appear on the admin page or does it show as an activity that I can add.  Any suggestions?

Dave.

In reply to Dave Wolff

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Dave,
please look at this post. Perhaps it is helpfull.
If it isn't so, what version of moodle do you use? On which OS is what kind of webserver running (Windows, Linux, Apache, IIS ...)?
Did you have installed other modules successfully?
Andreas

by Dave Wolff -

Hi Andreas,

I had already found that post and it was helpful.

When I went to my site to find out the information you requested, I clicked on the Admin page and it installed the Feedback module.  I don't know why moodle decided to do it then because I had gone to that page several times befor without any success.

Everything is working fine now.  The module is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Dave.

by Jun Yamog -
We are working on feedbacks currently.  One of the things we started with is making it work on 1.6, the diff can be seen here:

http://gitweb.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=moodle-r2.git;a=commitdiff;h=6663d13644628aaf16505892174af8ee76c0eba0

I have attached here a simple doc (pdf) of the changes we will be doing for feedback.  We hope the changes will be accepted on the upstream.  Thanks.
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Yun,

the feedback-module is designed to use inside a single course with a simple to use interface. I think the module questionaire (forum) is more suitable for your demands.

best regards
Andreas

by Jun Yamog -
Hi Andreas,

We did look at questionnaire module and did some minor work on it.  We saw that feedback module is simpler and easier to add code in it.  The feedback will still be in a course level, we just need to make a report for the whole enterprise.

Our plan is create a single/common feedback and get responces from different courses.  Example of a feedback:

Is this course helpful  ()Definitely ()Fairly ()No
Is quality of course material ()Good () Fair () Poor

Students will be able to answer to this feedback for all of courses.  A report can be made to say, which course has poor course material.

We are planning to make the single instance to be in the system course (top level course) and track the responces in which the student course he/she filled up the feedback.

-Or-

Create a feedback template and make a new instance of it per course, and create a report that will get the responses of all feedback that came from the feedback template.

Do you have any opinion of which of the above options to use?
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jun,

the second suggestion I could imagine. There seems to do only little changes on the current structure. I think the report should be a separate block that requireres an installed feedback-module. So the module keeps simple.
A hard problem will be the backup/restore if the feedback are bound to templates. Currently templates are not saved on backups.
  1. the backup-api only allows the access to course-elements
    one process for all feedback-instances (only saving of templates on the current course is possible)
  2. the restore-api only allows the access to the new acivity-instance (not even to the course-elements)
    one process for one activity-instance (only restoring the feedback-instance without any templates are possible)
Perhaps we could resolve this with using a special flag (e.g. a UID or so) on the feedback-instance that binds feedbacks together. So the feedbacks are independent of any templates.
What do you think?

Andreas

by Jun Yamog -
Hi Andreas,

Martin L told me to go with option 1.  If we make too much changes to feedback, we may just release it as a different module.  But currently no big changes was made yet, I only added course_id to feedback_value to know which course was the feedback responded from.  I am now creating the reports needed by the client.

Please release as often as possible so I can merge your changes.  We can probably decide later if our changes is approriate and accetable for feedback module or not.  Thanks and I will keep you posted.

Jun
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Jun Yamog -
Hi,

For any of those interested, our changes can be tracked here:

http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gitweb?p=moodle-r2.git;a=shortlog;h=mdl-feedback

Take note it is still client specific changes and different from the current upstream.  Thanks.

Jun
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jun,
thank you for this link. So I could see what you mean. Now I better understand you.
If you think you are ready so let me know. I will include it into the package.
Andreas

by Jun Yamog -
Hi Andreas,

Its fairly stable currently, I just need to think about the UI for selecting courses.  Currently its a dropdown and will not scale if you have thousands of courses.

I got your latest download and merged them, I also did a quick test for mysql.  I have attached here the patches you will need.

I think currently the biggest semantic change is joining the feeback_value.course_id to the different feedback tables.  Normally you would join feedback.course column to the other feedback tables.  The former query is finding out which course was a particular responce been done.  The later query is finding out which course does this feedback belong to.

Jun

by Jun Yamog -
Hi Andreas,

I have attached here blocks/feedback and mod/feedback files if you decide to test first.  What you will need is to create the feedback on the system/top level course.  Then you add the feedback block inside a course.  You then click the feedback listing on the feedback block to respond to the feedback.

You can see the report on the link below your current Analysis link.  Course scoping only works for radiorated and textfield items.  I can add them to the other items if you think how the way I changed the functions is acceptable.

Jun

In reply to Jun Yamog

by Jun Yamog -
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jun,
thank you for your great work. I included it into the extra download. There now are two packages:

Now you can put a block in a course that shows all feedbacks from the main-page of moodle. The analysis now allows you to view results in relation to the courses.
Andreas

by Jun Yamog -
Hi Andreas,

Thanks. I have made some minor tweaks to it since then.

Added course short name on the excel download, since course id is too criptic.

Added search box, to make the UI scale better for schools with a lot of courses

I forgot to add the search button

Please kindly see if they are logical to put into upstream.

Jun
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jun,

thank you. It is already included. I downloaded your current snapshot wink.
In addition i have a bit worked on your script.
a) the course-analysis link now will be shown only if the feedback is placed on the main-site of moodle (courseid = SITEID).
b) the sort-by-course is available for all items ended with "rated"
c) now there is a link to show all courses. So you can easy go back after showing coursefilter
d) now the coursefilter works on all items

Big thanks for your extension!

The current download now includes both parts (module and block).
Download

Best regards from berlin smile
Andreas

by Ronald van Weerd -
Newbie here, and I am impressed, I have read he entire "feedback" forum post, and still don't know how and where to implement it.

I have read Jun's first request and the PDF, and it is exactly what I am looking for (end of course (or at any specified moment (enrolment?) - teacher and course  etc. evaluation). I have also tried to follow you discussion thread, I however have no clue how to incorporate this using the downloaded "feedback" module and my moodle installation.

How can I set and tie these things up?

I also tried the questionnaire module, same problemsfor me though, and I know it must be me, sorry.

I will start work on a Thai translation of both modules, yet for evaluation purposes, I need to find out if and how I can integrate feedback per student, per course.

thanks in advance,
Ronald
In reply to Ronald van Weerd

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Ronald,

the steps to install are standard for all other mods and blocks.

Installation:
on moodle 1.5.x
- - - - - - - -
The zip-archive includes the same directory hierarchy as moodle 1.5.x.
So you only have to copy the files to the correspondent place.
e.g. feedback.zip/mod/feedback --> moodle/mod/feedback

on moodle 1.6
- - - - - - -
On moodle 1.6 you have to copy the lang-folder into the moodledata-folder
feedback.zip/lang/en_utf8 --> yourServer/moodledata/lang/en_utf8
Other languages probably you have to convert to utf8.
The rest of folders you have to copy as described above

After it you have to run the admin-page of moodle (http://your-moodle-site/admin)
in your browser. You have to be loged in as admin before.
The installation process will be displayed on the screen.

That's all.

Andreas

by Brian Gray -
I've run into a problem here...

When I create a feedback activity in a course (other than course #1), I can not make the activity visible to students. On the "Update Feedback" page, the "show/hide" combo box is greyed out. On the course page in edit mode, the eye icon is closed. Clicking on it has no effect.

I am able to create a working feedback activity on the site's front page page. I can create a feedback block in another course, and everything works as expected.

The problem appears to be limited to an instance of the activity in a single course.

The installation ran cleanly.

My environment:
  • Server is RedHat Linux ES3, fully patched
  • MySql 5.0.21
  • PHP 4.3.2
  • Moodle 1.6 beta 5 (2006050504), with latest updates installed
I downloaded the zip file today, so it is the most current version.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

bkg

In reply to Brian Gray

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Brian,

I assume, you topic-block is switched unvisible. All activities on an unvisible topic-block are unvisible too. Please check out if another activity can created visible at the same block.

Andreas

by Brian Gray -
That was the problem.  It worked as advertised as soon as I made the block visible.

Thanks for the fix, and for the work on the feedback module.  I didn't realize that I wanted the feedback block until I saw it working.  I like it a lot!

bkg

by Ronald van Weerd -
Hi Andreas, thanks for your quick respons,

I should have been more clear, I have no problem installing the module.

I really just want to know how I can use/implement the feedback module as an end-of-course evaluation tool.

So how can I add the "feedback" as an activity, not to a "topic", but to a course.

Someting scheduled for every student to provide us with feedback regarding the course, the teacher, course  material, etc. etc.

I know this is more about moodle functionality (not so much the feedback module) and my lack of knowledge of it, I just could't find it in the forums or documentation how to achieve this.

"Vielen Dank" (and if I could, I would have done the whole message in German)

Regards,
Ronald

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Ronald,
sorry, but I don't understand you.
Can you please explain it more detailed?
Andreas

by Ronald van Weerd -
Thanks Andreas, let me try. I will be repeating myself, I just want to be as clear as possible!

First of all installation works fine, creating a feedback works fine.

In your own words: "The feedback-module is designed to use inside a single course"

I really want to know how I can use the feedback module for every course as a final "task" (activity?). So when students finish a course, they will be invited to give feedback.

I know this is what the feedback module is for, I just do not know how to set this up in moodle, how and where to configure, implement etc.

I can create a feedback module, that works great! but I want to add feedback as an activity to each course.

I can add "feedback" as an activity to a topic, but I want to add it as a final "activity" to each course and collect the data per student per course for further analysis.

Data I would like to see student/course/date and the feeback of course.

This is my lack of knowledge of Moodle, I know.

So really something Jun suggested in his PDF file (http://moodle.org/file.php/5/moddata/forum/27/202903/feedbackmod.pdf) but your thread went a bit more about the technical stuff, I am talking functionality.

Sorry for being a pain and not always able to make myself more clear!

thanks
Ronald

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Ronald,

you can create feedbacks on each courses or on the main site. If the feedback is created on the main site so it will be shown in the feedback-block. With using the feedback-block you can filter the results by courses

If you want the students only can fill out the feedback after working all thinks on their course so you have a look at Conditional-Activities. That is an extention to show and hide activities in dependence of using other activities.
I don't know whether the feedback-module works with "Contditional-Activities".

The results of feedback you can export to excel. There are two sheets. One as an overview the second is a detailed view.

Andreas

by Ronald van Weerd -
Hi Andreas,

thanks for your help.

I managed to assign "Feedback" to courses using the "Blocks" function.

I have just upgraded to v 1.6.

It showed me that feedback was incompatible, so I reinstalled it in version 1.6 with the utf-8 language file in the moodledata directory.

I managed to get "Feedback" on course level again, but it also shows on the main page, which I do not really want (not that it's hurting me, but it's confusing I guess)

Also, the "Feedback" header (in admin blocks and on the course page is "feedback" - with the and around it?

Any ideas? Might the initial detection of Feedback during the upgrade screwed things up? I can see v1.5.4 feedback as well now.

And thanks again for being such a great and generous resource!

Ronald

by Ronald van Weerd -
Andreas (and others of course),

please disregard my latest issue , it also happens in other modules I download and install, so I posted a question in the General forum,

but a solution would be welcome anyway!

Sorry if I wasted your time!

Ronald

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Ronald,

in my 1.6 test-environment it does run. I put the lang-files into the following folders:

lang/en_utf8 --> moodle/lang/en_utf8
lang/xx --> moodledata/lang/xx_utf8

the files of lang xx have to be converted in utf8 or specialchars will be shown failed.

Andreas

by Ronald van Weerd -
Thanks Andreas,

I just did so, but to no avail, I guess I have to reinstall the feedback module again.

And, how does one convert the moodledata/lang/xx in utf8?

Thanks,
Ronald

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Ronald,
at linux you can use iconv. It converts files from one in another encoding.
Example:
~# iconv -t utf8 de/feedback.php > de_utf8/feedback.php
Andreas
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Deleted user -

Hi,

can you tell me how I would increase the filter to include course category?

What I am trying to do is show feedback results accross departments and course. The departments are entered as categories and the courses found within those, i.e Engineering and course MENG004.

Still using 1.6.+

Regards

Gerald

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi at all,
I released a new version.
The following things are changed:
  • prefixed all function-names like "feedback_"
    (note: there also functions at items are renamed. If somebody has created its own item-typ, so the item/lib.php has to be adapt.)
  • fixed security issues (e.g. optional_variable() >> optional_param())
    Now it runs on moodle 1.6 (big thanks to jamie pratt and Jun Yamog)
  • improve group-feature
  • adding moving behavior like moodle activities
  • adding a dropdownlist on create/update item page to adjust the position
Download
Thank you at all for your tipps and assistance
Andreas

by Art Lader -
Thank you at all for your tipps and assistance

Well, thank YOU for being so patient and helpful, Andreas! smile

You are a generous Moodler and have made a fine contribution.

I hope that you will develop more modules in the future!

-- Art

Re: New Module: Feedback now including postgress-support

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,
I forgot to include the postgres-files from Utkarshraj Atmaram. The files are now included.
Download
Thank you Utkarshraj Atmaram!

Andreas

by Art Lader -
Hi, Andreas,

I have installed the updated feedback mod and it seems to be working perfectly. smile

Thanks, again, for sharing this with the Moodle community!

-- Art

by Marion de Groot -

Hi Andreas,

I've been using your module for some time now -  it works great, never had any problems (apart from the logging thing). I 'd like to upgrade to your latest version, how should I do that? Of course I don't my current feedbacks to disappear or worse...

Whart is the best / savest way to do this?

TIA Marion

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Marion,
what version do you use?
Andreas

by Marion de Groot -

Hi Andreas,

I use version 2005100305 (so it says on my admin/modules.php page). I've installed it last january or so.

Marion

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Marion,
this version is absolute ok to upgrade.
Nevertheless I would recommend that you do backup your system before.
Andreas

by Andreas Grabs -
Sorry,
I did not answer completely.
To upgrage this module you have to copy the folder feedback/ from the zip-file into the folder feedback/ from your existing feedback.

zip-file/feedback/* --> moodle/mod/feedback/*

After it you have to copy the folder lang from zip-file to the folder lang from moodle.

zip-file/feedback/lang/* --> moodle/lang/*

At last you call your admin-page (http://url2moodle/admin). There should apear messages what say the upgrade was ok or not.
That's all.
Good luck!
Andreas

by Marion de Groot -

Another project came between me and my moodle upgrades blush, but I finally got to it today. I've upgraded the feedbackback module, but now it's not showing up on my modules list in the moodle admin  surprise ! Apart from that everything seems to be working fine - with the feedbacks I made before the upgrade that is. But I can't make new feedbacks, because feedback is not showing up as one of the activities to add...

Andreas, please help

Marion

by Marion de Groot -

Hi Andreas,

The problem solved itself (??!!??), I still don't know what happened. I noticed some strings where missing from the dutch lang files, I will have a look and send you the new lang files so you can add them to your zip.

by Peter Campbell -
Andreas - I found a way to reveal the identity of the person taking a feedback survey anonymously. This is a major problem for us. Have you thought of a way to fix this?

1) on September 11, 2006 at 1:09:32 AM EDT, I got an e-mail message that said, "Anonymous has filled out and sent th feedback: 'Fake Survey'. You can view it on this website."

2) I clicked on the link and saw the list of respondents

3) the identity of "Anonymous" had not been revealed, so I didn't know who it was.

4) I went into the logs to determine total activity and determine who was on the site on September 11, 2006 at 1:09:32 AM EDT

5) the only person on the site at that date and time was Soup Rabbit; therefore, "Anonymous" must be Soup Rabbit

6) however, note that the logs do not reveal that Soup Rabbit took the survey; the logs show that Soup Rabbit went to "Course View" three times

Soooo . . . thinking out loud: is there a way to provide a link to the survey outside the context of the course? If so, respondents could not be tracked.

Also, is there a way to turn off time stamping when users have taken the survey?

Thanks.

In reply to Peter Campbell

by Anthony Borrow -
A similar problem exists with the questionnaire module. The responses are stored and displayed in order. You can use the log to determine who submitted the questionnaire and then match the order in the logs to the order of the response. It is good to know which participants responded (at least in a classroom setting I find it good to know which students did not complete the assignment or participate in the questionnaire). I would like to ensure the anonymity of the responses by randomizing the order of the responses. It would add an extra step but I think it would be well worth it. That way when viewing the responses you would not know if you are looking at the first person to respond or the last persons or someone in between. 
In reply to Peter Campbell

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Peter,

you could use a course with allow guests. So any user are shown as guest.
The timestamp is often necessary. Somtimes you want to see feedbacks before and after some event. Without timestamp you can not see the changing.

Andreas

by Peter Campbell -
OK, Andreas. Thanks.

Another work-around I thought of after writing to you: I simply right-clicked/control-clicked on the link and copied the link location and then pasted it in an e-mail and sent it to users.

This forms a direct link to the survey. I was able to take it without logging in. It recorded my response but did not log my visit to the course, thus making it completely anonymous.

Two apparent drawbacks: (1) anyone with the URL can take the survey and (2) there is no way to prevent anyone from taking it multiple times.

The apparent good news: you can copy and paste a link to a survey and ensure that it's entirely anonymous.

by Anthony Borrow -
Andreas,

I had a teacher ask me why she could not delete a submission and I found a little hole that is somewhat problematic. The teacher had created a non-anonymous feedback and then wanted to test it. Being a new Moodle user she switched on Student View (Moodle 1.6.1+) and was able to go in and Answer Questions. It shows as a submission; however, it is not listed in the list of respondents because the respondent is not a member of the course. I had to go in to the database and delete her responses and the submission. I'm not sure how you might patch this to prevent others from experiencing similar confusion but I at least wanted to make you aware of this. I'm not sure how this will play out in 1.7. When I get a chance I will try to test it and see. In the meantime, I figured I would give you one more thing for your to-do list.

In short, in Moodle 1.6 if a teacher has student view on then they can answer the questions but then cannot delete or edit the responses.

Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Anthony,

thank you! I have fixed this behavior at the current download. Now a teacher can preview the feedback and go through it but it will not be saved.

Andreas

by Anthony Borrow -
Andreas you are absolutely amazing! Many thanks for the lightning quick patch. I excitedly sent an email to the teacher letting her know that it was fixed. Most of the people at my school are unfamiliar with open source programming. I thanked the teacher for her contribution to Moodle by bringing this issue to our attention. Thank you for feeding my enthusiasm for Moodle and for open source. I very much appreciate your contributions. 

by Anthony Borrow -
Andreas - Something else for your consideration. Should deleting a feedback cause the data to be deleted or would it be better to have a T/F field in the table called deleted? Here is the scenario that raises the question for me. One teacher did a feedback and had multiple students reply to it. Another teacher saw the feedback in her calendar, clicked on it and said I don't want that in my class and deleted the feedback. Now I as an administrator have to go back to a previous day's back and try to restore the data. It would be easier if I just had to go and change the deleted field from 1 to 0. I know that this would not be a small project but it would prevent the loss of valuable information. On any type of survey I consider the user's input valuable information. This would protect a teacher from literally losing information. The data could still be stored in the database and just not appear through the Moodle interface. I appreciate your consideration of this and hope that it finds its way to your to do list. Let me know if I can help in any way. Peace.

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Anthony,

the interface of moodle only let a user drop an activity without any options.
Imagine:
A teacher want to drop an activity.
Therefore the activity is really droped or (like your suggestion) the activity is marked to drop. If the activity is marked as drop, at which time the activity should be really droped? On the other hand an activity what will be droped also will be droped on table "course_modules". So it is a mechanism of moodle and not of the activity.

I think the better way is that if there are more than one teacher in a course they have to communicate (like a good colleague).

Andreas

by Anthony Borrow -
I agree - I have encouraged the teachers to talk more to each other. Part of the confusion was that one teacher did not realize that the event she was going to through the calendar was in a different course. She thought she was deleting a feedback from one course when in fact she was in another.

by Darren Smith -
I haven't been following this but it looks interesting a certainly very popular smile.

With this being such a long thread it may be helpful to other moodlers if people  were to expand the moodledocs description that Art started: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Feedback

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Art Lader -
That really would be great, Darren. (You are right; this is certainly going to be a very popular module.)

-- Art

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,

there is a new release. I added a new item dropdownrated.
Download

Andreas

by Jeff Moore -

I installed this yesterday, but we had a problem with our first survey (which was all checkboxes). The values weren't saving to the database. There were entries in _feedback_value, but the value fields were empty.

After hacking a bit, I found that line 218 of \item\check\lib.php was voiding out all of the actual values. They survived through the code until that moment. The line is:

$arrvals = clean_param($arrvals, PARAM_INT);   //prevent sql-injection

I commented it out (as well as identical lines in the radio, radiorated, dropdown, and dropdownrated lib.php's) and everything's working OK.  

Anyone else run into this? Any reason why it might be happening?

Thanks!

In reply to Jeff Moore

by Andreas Grabs -

Hi Jeff,

I assume you use moodle version 1.52 or earlier. Since the release 1.5.3 the function clean_param() works ok. You can use the version 1.5.2 in the kind you described above. But note there are some security bugfixes on moodle since this version.

Bye
Andreas

by Jamie Pratt -
Hi Andreas,

I have a fix for you for a warning that I'm getting in view.php :

Error: Turn off debugging to hide this error.

SELECT * FROM mdl_feedback_tracking WHERE userid = '5' AND feedback = '6' LIMIT 100

Found more than one record in get_record_sql !

I think we should change get_record to count_records on line 99-105 in view.php :

if( (intval($feedback->publish_stats) == 1) AND !( isteacher($course->id) || isadmin()) ) {
         if($multiple_count = count_records('feedback_tracking', 'userid', $USER->id, 'feedback', $feedback->id)) {
            echo '<div align="center"><a href="analysis.php?id=' . $id . '">';
            echo get_string('completed_feedbacks', 'feedback').'</a>';
            echo '</div>';
         }
      }

by James Ballard -
The following were missing in my language pack for 1.6 utf-8 english:

$string['position'] = 'Position';
$string['line_values'] = 'Rating';
$string['line_labels'] = 'Label';

I also wondered if the picture category should link to a directory in the course files so that new pictures could be uploaded via the files interface, or whether you could pick the directory. Otherwise this is a limited category for general tutor use.

Are the question types plugins? (i.e. is there a way to remove question types if need be.)

Yours
James

PS. The usability and inteface of this module seem to outweigh the additional features of questionnaire, but I would love to see the two merged into a replacement for the standard survey module if the opportunity arises. Great work by both parties invovled and the sum would be fantastic.
In reply to James Ballard

by Bruno Cunha -
Hi

I'm having problems installing the feedback in my moodle 1.54+
During the instalation it gave no error but when I go to the administration and modules all I see is this:

icon.gif modulename02006042400hide.gifApagar

Some help please

PS: Apagar means Delete
In reply to Bruno Cunha

by Timothy Takemoto -
I think you just need to add the language file for the module (which will be called feedback.php) into the moodle/langs fodler.
In reply to James Ballard

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi James,

thank you! I included the 3 lines in the current lang-file (utf8-english).
The picture-item is an experimental item. Feel free to improve this. All Items are plugins and can be removed. You find the items in the folder called "item".

Bye Andreas

Re: New Module: Feedback - require_variable

by Jamie Pratt -
There is one further use of require_variable in the feedback module :

line 6 of index.php needs to be changed to :

required_param($id, PARAM_INT);   // course

Or else the feedback activities list won't work in 1.6 where **_variable is no longer supported for security reasons.

Jamie
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

required_param($id, PARAM_INT);   // course

wil NOT work, instead use:

$id = required_param('id', PARAM_INT);
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jamie,

I can not find this line. There is already the required_param statement. Perhaps you not use the last version.

Andreas

by Mikko Syvänne -
Hi Andreas!

First I would like thank you for your Feedback module. It was just what we needed. But
There is always a but wink. When I am looking at complete report from the persons actions, it shows the module, but it doesnt show whether one is completed the Feedback or not. Could this feature be added to the Feedback module?

Kind Regards,

Mikko
In reply to Mikko Syvänne

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Mikko,

I'm sorry for my bad english. I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain it a bit more? Thank you!

Andreas

by Mikko Syvänne -
Hi Andreas!

Forget the question I sent you. There was a bug in the Moodle 1.6 beta 5 and that is why I didn't get Complete Report from "Feedback" (or any other module as I later noticed). The bug was reported in 23.5.2006 and has been fixed in CVS. http://moodle.org/bugs/bug.php?op=show&bugid=5590&PHPSESSID=e38dc24bed8a0a6393f717da02127998

Sorry that I wasted your time.

Mikko

In reply to Mikko Syvänne

by Peter T -
Can somebody answer this? I have the same problem in 1.6.4. Looking at the student's log report - I cannot see if the feedback has been submitted or not. Thank you.
In reply to Peter T

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Peter,

do you use the feedback anonymously? If so, the submits will not be logged.

Andreas

by Anthony Borrow -
Peter - Keep in mind that the submits can be logged for anonymous feedback in the download for version 1.7+.

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,
there ist a new release of the feedback-module.
Following thinks are changed:

general
  • config-dialog now shows the "Visible to students" and "Group mode" options
  • fixed a small bug at config-dialog respecting the option "Multiple-Submit"

feedback block

• horizontal navigation now shows the course from where the feedback was invoked
  • only one link to analysis will be shown (analysis.php or analysis_course.php)
  • now you can search short- and fullname of courses
  • the moodle main-site is now included into the searchresult
Download
Have fun!
Andreas

by Art Lader -

That sounds great, Andreas. smile

To upgrade, I simply replace the old files with the new ones, right?

Thanks,
Art

by Miroslav Fikar -
Thanks for the new version. Please update attached slovak translation.
I have two problems:
  • If multiple submit is not allowed and student tries again, it gives him "Must specify course id, short name or idnumber", because parameter $courseid is missing in view.php,
  • the new block does not show any entries even if there are feedbacks in the course.
In reply to Miroslav Fikar

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Miroslav,

thank you. The first bug is fixed now (download).
The second isn't a bug. It is a feature wink.
The block only shows feedbacks on the main-site of moodle.
Here the steps using the block-feature:
  1. create one or more new feedback-activitys on the moodle main-site
  2. go into some course and enable the feedback-block. This block now shows the feedbacks from the main-site.
  3. login as student and go into the course where the feedback-block is enabled
  4. fill out the feedback chosen from block
  5. login as admin and look at the feedback you created above
  6. now you can analyse the answers over the courses
good luck
Andreas

by N Hansen -
Andreas-The block_feedback.php language file is missing from en_utf8.
In reply to N Hansen

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,

you are right. I forgot to put the file into the en_utf8 folder. You can easy get the file "block_feedback.php" from the en folder. It is working too.
The current download now includes the file.

Andreas

by Jun Yamog -
Hi Andreas,

I have started doing development again on the feedback module.  I have merged the changes from your download.  I have a minor bug fix.  Thanks.

Jun
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Jun Yamog -
Hi Andreas,

We needed to fix the feedback block a bit.  The client wanted to have some feedback to only show on particular courses.  I added a UI to map sitewide feedback to courses, by default a sitewide feedback will be visible to all courses.  When there is a mapping to the course, it will then use this mapping.  Here is an early development and a bugfix any comments will be appreciated.  Thanks.
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Will Muenchow -
Great Module! KUDOS!!! One problem though; after a user submits their  survey/poll they see "Your answers have been saved. Thankyou."

Thank you is spelled as one word instead of two -- where do I change this?

Again, thanks for the great MODULE!

In reply to Will Muenchow

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Will,

there is a file "feedback.php" in moodle/lang or moodledata/lang. Here you can change the words you want.

Andreas

by Alistair Campbell -
Hi,

I haven't tried the module as yet- though it sounds good. Unfortunately, I had another module named feedback loaded up. I deleted it before starting install of your feedback but it re-installed bits of itself before I deleted the files from the directory.

As a result, your feedback is installed but has no name assigned. Rather, it is designated modulename. So, there is obviously some conflict there.

Could you, or anyone else, tell me what I might need to delete to ensure that your module is named properly. Then I can do a full delete and re-install.

Thanks

Alistair Campbell
Townsville
Qld Australia
In reply to Alistair Campbell

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Alistair,

what you have to do is dependent on your moodle-version.
The feedback zip-file includes a folder "lang".
On moodle 1.5.x
you have to copy this folder to <your moodle-folder>/lang.
On moodle 1.6
you have to copy the folder "lang/en_utf8" to <your moodle-folder>/lang/en_utf8. All other folders in "lang" you have to copy to <your moodledata-folder>/lang.
After it the name should be shown correctly.

Andreas

by Ahmed Metwally -

Great work guys, I guess now it became almost a comprehensive module.

Thanks a lot

by James Ballard -
Is there a way tutors on a course can also give feedback?
Where is it limited to just students, will it be simple to add an AND isteacher  to it for my version?

Yours
James

by Josep M. Fontana -
Hi Andreas,

What does 'dropdown rated' do? What is the use these values can have in a survey?

Josep M.

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Josep,

with the rated items you can create scalable answers.
Let me do an example:
Question: How are you?
Answers:
  1. super (5.0)
  2. good (4.0)
  3. solala (3.0)
  4. bad (2.0)
  5. as bad as possible (1.0)
(3 users do answer 2, 2 users do answer 3 and 4 users do answer 1)

Analysis:
Frage: How are you?
Answers (analysed): 4.22
Answers (detailed):
User1: 5
User2: 3
User3: 4
User4: 5
User5: 4
User6: 5
User7: 4
User8: 5
User9: 3

I'm hoping it helps.
Andreas

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK, it does help. I think I might even asked for that at some point. Very useful.

Josep M.

by kim challis -
Hi there smile

I have added questions etc to a form, which looks fine when viewed from a student point of view. However when viewed in Admin mode (editing the questions) I get the following code at the top of the page:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$moving in C:\Documents and Settings\challis\Desktop\moodle\moodle\mod\feedback\edit.php on line 216

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\Documents and Settings\challis\Desktop\moodle\moodle\mod\feedback\edit.php on line 216

then followed by this which repeats itself (about 20 times);

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$moving in C:\Documents and Settings\challis\Desktop\moodle\moodle\mod\feedback\edit.php on line 236

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\Documents and Settings\challis\Desktop\moodle\moodle\mod\feedback\edit.php on line 236

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$moving in C:\Documents and Settings\challis\Desktop\moodle\moodle\mod\feedback\edit.php on line 319

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\Documents and Settings\challis\Desktop\moodle\moodle\mod\feedback\edit.php on line 319

I am new to php so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
K

by Mark Davies -

hi Andreas,

This module is fantastic particularly the templating concept. Can you tell me how to restrict this to members only.

They have to login before they can complete?

Regards,

Mark

回應: New Module: Feedback

by 景東 王 -

Hi  Andreas ,

The module ,feedback,is more friendly  than  questionnaire.

But the language I use is chinese(zh_tw_utf8),and if I export the result of feedback to excel,the character can't be displayed well in excel,there are any solution ?  Thank you very much

Regards

Jing-Dong Wang

Some Layout and de_utf8

by Katja Krüger -
Hi Andreas,

I administrate a moodle-site used by primary school children.
To understand the analysis of a feedback site, with all this information put together, they had big problems. Therefor I changed the layout of all these feedback_print_analysed.... functions in the diffrent directorys under item.
Now it's all 'align="left" and wrapped in extra tables. Perhaps you have a look at it and it could be an advantage for everybody.
screenshot
The zip-file only contains the files I changed and under lang the de_utf8/feedback.php which is still missing in your downloads.

Viele Grüsse Katja

Re: New Module: Feedback and 1.6.1

by James Ballard -
Hi

There are some errors that are being thrown out now I have upgraded to 1.6.1 from 1.6.

• When setting up a new Feedback instance the following occurred in the Show analysis to students field:
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$publish_stats in ...\feedback\mod.html on line 39 selected="selected">No

and the same for line 40 with No replaced by Yes
  • There is also an undefined offset for rated questions:
Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in ...feedback\item\radiorated\lib.php on line 41

This is also repeated on line 38 for offsets 1-9 to create a total of 19 errors.
  • Once a question is added there is:
Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$moving in ...\feedback\edit.php on line 216

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in ...\feedback\edit.php on line 216

This is repeated for lines 221, 236, 319

Yours
James

by Jun Yamog -
I have done some fixing regarding some scalability problem.  I hope to remerge for upstream.  Anyway for those who are using feedback with a lot of students you may want to use this patch

If someone can help me test in mysql and merging some stuff that would be great.  You can see the difference with upstream and our current version here.
In reply to Jun Yamog

by AFNOR AFNOR -
Hello, (sorry for my english)

I would like to do this questions types particularities :
Matrix - Multiple Answers per Row
- Matrix - Multiple Answers per Row (Menus)
- Open Ended - Date and/or Time
- Choice - Multiple Answers (Vertical)
for the last one, it's possible to write differents terms for 'Other' sentence.
Inserte break-page, etc...

Create Skip Logic (Conditional Logic) - customize the path a respondent takes through the survey by adding skip logic.  Eliminate unnecessary confusion by skipping non-applicable questions.  A proven way to reduce "drop-outs" and overall frustration.

Custom Redirect - Once your survey is complete, respondents will be redirected to the page of your choice.

These exemples are inspirate from this web site

Thanks a lot for your helps

In reply to Jun Yamog

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi jun,

sorry for the late time I didn't let me see in the forum. I was very busy, importent things on my job, new own server and so no.
I will look your changes at next time. Big thanks for your work.

Andreas

by Jun Yamog -
Hi Andreas,

No problem.  I tried to keep things as close to upstream.  I think the biggest change is the ability to map which courses you want to use the sitewide surveys.  See the diff here I haven't tested the exists query on mysql on blocks/feedback/block_feedback.php

Aside from that I don't see any other possible issues for upstream.
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Jun Yamog -
Hi,

Some context sensitive help added and you can get the diff here
In reply to Jun Yamog

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jun,

thank you for your work. I integrated all in the current download. Unfortunately you didn't use the last version. You should upgrade your installation.

best regards
Andreas

by Lucia Moreira -
Hi Andreas:

I have a problem with Feedback module and would kindly ask for some help. It used to work fine with Moodle 1.5.4+ but is not the same with 1.6.2. It´s seems like something is missing, like send buttons... Please, take a look at the picture as it appears on my website.

Thanks

Lúcia

Feedback
In reply to Lucia Moreira

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Lúcia,

all looks fine. The trainer (so you are) is the editor of the feedback and can not submit answers. You have to go to "Edit questions..." to modify or create the questions.
Then the students will find the possibility to submit answers.

Andreas

by Jesús Martín -

Hi,

Here's the new Spanish translation.

Cheers, J. Martin.

In reply to Jesús Martín

by Fernando Moreno -

I've tried to install the module in v. 6.3. There's no way of getting it properly installed: after clicking http://..../moodle/admin/, there's neither indication nor change in the "Administrador de módulos". The Feedback module is not anywhere. I think that I've gone through all the steps. Could you give me a clue about what is happening? Thanks,

Fernando

Installation of the Feedback module

In reply to Fernando Moreno

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,

sorry for the late answer.
What server-system do you use. If it is linux, do you have looked at the read-permissions of the uploaded files? Especially the folders have to set executable.
An other possibility could be a incompatibility with other modules (see here).

Andreas

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Andreas,

I see you have been updating the feedback module for 1.7 so you may have included much of this stuff in your module, but I made some aesthetic and functional changes to the module (pre-1.7) that you may wish to consider including:
  • Aligning answers and non-anonymous results by putting them in the same table
  • Using tabs for navigation
  • Making official (admin created) public templates appear at top of list and user templates appear at bottom
  • Making templates available to users the wherever they are in the site, rather than the course
You need to add the following fields to mdl_feedback_templates:
official int(1)
userid int(10)

See here

Cheers and thanks for the cool module!
Paolo
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by Anthony Borrow -

Andreas - I know that there was some talk about getting the feedback or questionnaire module in to Moodle core. With the upcoming release of 1.8 I was wondering if any progress has been made on that. With the recent re-organization of CVS contrib is there any chance that you might be able to start maintaining your code there? Peace - Anthony

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Anthony,

I am not sure. Martin told me that after the re-organization of CVS I will get write access to it. I'm still waiting.

Andreas

by Anthony Borrow -
Andreas OK - well I know that Martin is working on the contrib re-organization. You may wish to create a request in tracker requesting for write access to contrib for the feedback module if you have not already done so. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
Andreas - Any update on getting CVS write access? I was able to write access for the MRBS block that I put together. With possible inclusion into Moodle 1.9 or at least a question mark on the official Roadmap page, it would be good if other developers could start playing the code, getting familiar with it and generally just tightening things up and getting it ready. Of course we could just go ahead and dump it in to HEAD and see what happens. I don't know when it would be appropriate to do something like that. Peace - Anthony

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Paolo,

it looks very nice. Thank you for this great work. Unfortunately it is for the old feedback-module sad.
The new fields "official" and "userid" I would not use. Imagine the follow situation:
Teacher-A creates a template. Some time ago teacher-B want to use this template. He will not be able to use it. I think it is better if all templates created on the mainsite are official. Only the admin or users with the required abilities can do that.

Andreas

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Andreas,

I see what you mean, although I am not 100% convinced. I do hope you agree that admin and user templates would be usefully separated.

The template idea in feedback is great, but the logic isn't perfect, because the template should be available to the user rather than the course. This is true because:

-The feedback module will usually be used once only in a course,
-You will only occcassionally want to share questions in a particular course,
-But you will commonly want to use the same feedback template in many different courses.

Having it available to user without publishing also avoids problems of making a template public just to pass it from one course to another and then having it remain on the server to confuse other users.

In any case, it is a well-needed module for Moodle.

Best wishes,
Paolo

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi again,
I guess my preferred solution would be for a feedback module be available to the course and to the user. This would resolve your issue of templates being created, but being inaccessible if the tutor left.
Ciao, Paolo

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.
Only the admin-user can create templates on the main-site. So it would be easy to separate these global templates without additional information.

Andreas
In reply to Jesús Martín

by Andreas Grabs -
Hi Jesus,

thank you very much for your translation. The current download now includes this package.

Best regards
Andreas

by David Ha -

Andreas,

This is a great module.  Is there any chance that you can add the 'public' feature like in the Questionaire module?

What I am trying to do is create a master feedback for each semester and link the feedback to each course.  Currently, the feedback module lacks the followings:

1.  A feedback can only be linked from the top site and using the feedback block.  This presents a problem:  I want to create a hidden course called 'feedbacks' and assign a special admin to it.  There he can administer all the feedbacks.  Can this be done?

2.  There can be only two choices for submition: once or many.  but I want to limit to 'Once per Course'.  i.e if a student belongs to course A and B, then he should be able to fill-out two feedbacks: one for course A and one for course B.

Of course, I could create a single feedback per course, but then it lacks the central management (i.e deploying a feedback to an entire site) as well as it is time consuming.

Thanks for all the great work so far.

In reply to David Ha

by Lael ... -
I haven't ever done this, so it is just an idea... but could you use a metacourse to achieve what you are talking about?  http://docs.moodle.org/en/Metacourses

I really am shooting blind... but maybe it could work?

hth,

Lael
In reply to Lael ...

by David Ha -

Not really.  Because it still lacks a 'once for each course' answer.  i.e. if a student belongs to course A and course B, then he should be able to submit *two* feedback.  One for course A and one for course B.

Also, I need a way to separate the responses by courses.  As of now, only the top level feedback (site level) can be link to other courses.

Thanks for the suggestion, and yes - I did try to use Metacourse.

In reply to David Ha

by David Ha -

I changed the codes so that it is now working for what I need.

In reply to David Ha

by tm tm -

Hi David

could you please send me or upload here the changed feedback module because i ned alomst the same as per your requirements and also wil it work on moodle 1.4 also????