Looking for simple, free, registration script

Looking for simple, free, registration script

by Steve Hyndman -
Number of replies: 6

Hello Moodlers,

I'm looking for a program to allow people to register online for workshops. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience using a good stable script to do this. I don't need something as as "big" as a full-blown CMS like Mambo. I've found some interesting looking scripts by searching the web, but I would like to avoid installing a system just to discover it really doesn't work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would also be interested in hearing if anyone has been successful in doing this with Moodle.

Steve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Hyndman

Re: Looking for simple, free, registration script

by Erlyn Baack -

Hi Steve,

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but there are two simple cgi scripts I use from Scripts for Educators at http://www.tesol.net/scripts/index.html.  One script is a "subscribe" script which is a script for a double opt-in mailing list.  You can get names and email addresses that way.  The other script is a "contact me" email form where site visitors can send messages.

If they're not "too simple," they're scripts that have worked for me.

Erlyn 

In reply to Erlyn Baack

by Just H -
Hi Erlyn

I think what Steve is looking for is more of a script to self-register e.g. you set up a workshop/course for 2 May until 5 May and advertise in advance, the script in question will allow a person to register for that workshop/course.

Any ideas?

regards
H
In reply to Just H

by Steve Hyndman -

Harry...yes that is what I need. It really doesn't have to incorporate with Moodle, but would be nice. I think I'll be able to build this in Moodle with the database module, but I would like to have something now.

Basically, I'm doing some work for a State organization and they don't use Moodle (yet smile)...they do a lot of face-to-face training. Like most organizations, they put their registration forms on the website and ask people to download it, complete it and mail it or email it back. I would like a simple script that would allow a person to create these registrations on the web that could be completed and submitted to a database. I would like something that a person with little tech skill could update regularly...that's why I'm not really interested in just creating a web-form....that would work, but then I would have to update it.

I guess I'm looking for something like a guestbook on steroids smile

I did find phpMyConference that may have the features I need, but it's taking me a little time to figure it out since I don't speak (or read) French.

http://sedre.loria.fr/phpMyConference/

Steve

In reply to Erlyn Baack

by Steve Hyndman -

Thanks Erlyn....I'll take a look at these.

Steve

by Steve Hyndman -

Just replying to myself here in case anyone else is interested. I found a cool, very simple open source website building program (also with a very active development community) that does just what I wanted. It's called WebsiteBaker and can be found at: http://www.websitebaker.org/2/home/

You can see my test site where I built a simple registration form here: http://www.ekuprofessor.com/kasc/ The results are stored in the database and you can also access them via the admin panel. You can also have individual form submissions emailed to you as they are submitted. Very neat program.

Steve

by Steve Hyndman -

Just posting an update for anyone looking at this in the future....

I just discovered the feedback module by Andreas Grabs. It's described as a survey/poll module, but it will work great to create webforms for registrations as well. I think this is much better than the websitebaker solution and it has the added benefit of being integrated within Moodle...an excellent module! If you haven't tried it, it's well worth installing and trying.

Steve