Restyling the Journal Module as the "Feedback Module"

Restyling the Journal Module as the "Feedback Module"

by Thomas Robb -
Number of replies: 13
**Note** While I have tested this on a few Moodle environments, it would be best if you do *not* try this on a production Moodle until a few people have reported back to this forum that the upgrade has been successful.

------------

Here are the files that are required, for those that are using the Sapporo Gakuin University version of the Journal module that includes the feedback/attendance feature.

Essentially what I have done is to change every instance of 'journal' in the code so that it now reads 'feedback', renamed the module to 'feedback' and modified the various database tables do that they now work with the 'feedback' module rather than the 'journal module'. (Note that this will only work with a 'mysql' database. I have not updated the db files for postgre or oci8po since I could not test the modifications.)

Here are step by step instructions:

1) unzip the folder but don't move the items into their repective folders just yet. They need to be moved step by step.

2) Move the feedback.php file inside "put in lang-en" into moodle/lang/en

3) Inside the "Put in Journal module" folder, take the mysql.php file and replace the copy currently in journal/db with it. (This contains the info needed to update the journal database tables before we can start using the feedback module.)

4. Take the version.php file (in "Put in Journal module" folder) and replace the one inside mod/journal. (This will trigger the database updates.

5. NOW: Go to your Moodle's home page. You will have to login in if you aren't, and then probably will have to click on the 'admin' link to invoke the update process.

6. You will see a report of the various changes that are made. These changes include:
a. Copying the current 'journal' table to make a 'feedback' table (including all of the current contents).
b. Copying the current 'journal_entries' table to make a 'feedback_entries' table.
c. Renaming the above two journal tables with the samename + 'old' just in case.
d. Renaming the field called 'journal' in the new 'feedback_entries' table to now read 'feedback'.
e. updating the 'log_display' table
f. renaming the 'journal' entry in the 'modules' table so that it now reads 'feedback'.
g. setting the version date for the feedback module in the 'modules' table to '2005042300'.

7. Assuming that you see that all steps have been successful, you then remove the 'journal' module from moodle/mod/ replacing it with the 'feedback' module.

Done!

The feedback module will continue to work with 1.4.3 or 1.4.4 but will also work when you upgrade to 1.5 with no additional changes required.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: Restyling the Journal Module as the "Feedback Module"

by Timothy Takemoto -
I am really failing dismally to get Moodle used in my Japanese university, but if ever there were a module that they really need it is this one, and so it is a shame that this is not available on the downloads page.
Timothy 
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'd love to see it there too ... please someone package it up as a standalone module, we'll put it in cvs:/contrib/feedback
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I am glad to hear the interest.  Tom, would it be a big job to package it up for cvs?  
In reply to Thomas Robb

by David Louis Puttick -
This is exactly what we would like to see - is there any chance of it happening soon or should we look for another way of doing it?
In reply to David Louis Puttick

by Timothy Takemoto -

Dear David Louis Puttick

Did you make any progress?

By the way the above does not work because it does not pass sesskeys but it would be easy to bring it up to date.

I really miss this module. Now that there is another "feedback module" (and a rather nice one), and also that the journal module's successor is now very usable indeed, I think that the old-feedback-module's functionality (that of creating random passwords, for distribution to students in classes as an attendance check) should be incorporated somewhere else.

Tim

In reply to Thomas Robb

The was-Journal old-"Feedback Module" is/was great

by Timothy Takemoto -
This is or was a superb module.

For those that do not know, this module provides a way of avoiding the need for a roll call in off-line lectures by allowing teachers to distribute unique attendance-codes to students that attend, which they are required to input into a box on the course page.

I don't suppose that this, the old "feedback module" (was, derived from, the "journal module") works with Moodle 1.6 does it?

The NEW feedback module, a sort of questionnaire, is by all accounts very good (and moodle for mobile-ized) so this the 'was-journal', 'old-feedback' module name would need to be changed again.

Now that I have a large content lecture and I don't want to spend the first 5-10 minutes calling a roll, because Japanese studenst speak in small voices, and have names that sometimes I can't read, and because it destroys the hippy-happy atmosphere, I wish to relegate the attendance control part of my course to the computer, I wish/hope that this wonderful module still worked/works.

My desktop computer is connected to a photocopy machine and I could do a merge combining a page of notes, with a column an excel file containing the codes, so as to include a unique attendance code on the top of a sheet of lecture notes, which I would print out one per student (hence not have to cut up the pieces of paper) and have all students enter that number thus
1) eliminating the need for a roll call
2) making sure that all students go to the course homepage once a week

This module was (is) so *very* good. Sekiya-san and Hokkaido friends had a great idea. It is sad to think that it may slip by the wayside. 

Universities are spending a lot of money on student identity cards and lecture theatre card readers in the attempt to keep track of student lecture attendance. But identity cards can be lent to other students. And anyway we do not have the card readers yet.

This, the 'was-journal'/'old-feedback' module's unique-attendance-code idea is, as far as I can see, pretty unbeatable. It is not going to go away. Until we embed identity chips in student' flesh smile the only way to make sure that students were in the room is by distributing a unique identifier, that they recieve by virtue of attending.

I hope that someone in a brick and mortar institution sees the usefulness of this module and brings it back.  It really is a a great idea.

Thank you Thomas Robb, Narumi Sekiya and friends.

Timothy

Re: The was-Journal old-"Feedback Module" is/was great

by Timothy Takemoto -
I have a class of about 100 students, and would love to be able to use the automatic roll call facility of this module, rather than wasting time in class or having to enter names from slips of paper into an excel file.

Alas however I have moodle 1.6.3. I followed Thomas Robb's instructions (with the exception that I updated the version date in version php), removed journal (which I never use) and replaced it with feedback.

Alas however there were errors when the database was updated as shown in the attached.

Are there any programmers here who would be so kind as to upgrade or quote me for an upgrade of this excellent time saving module?

Tim

Re: The was-Journal old-"Feedback Module" is/was great

by Timothy Takemoto -

Please let me explain again what this module does.

While it was based on the Journal module its main function for me is to automate a roll call in a large lecture theatre.

Lets say you have a large lecture of about 150 or more students. How do you take a roll call? (see below if you don't)

Calling out names takes too long. Passing around a list is too easy to cheat. Handing out one attendance slip - perhaps colour coded to that students do not copy lots of slips and hand them in for the friends - to each student is time consuming especially because requires that one then collates, and inputs each name into an excel file, the results at the end of class.

This module solves this problem by generating a long (if there are 150 students then 150 item) list of unique random numbers. This list of random number is stored in the database and is also available for print out. The lecturer prints out the list of random numbers cuts them up and then hands one number to each student. The students then have a certain amount of time to enter their random number into the moodle module to which the number corresponds, thus proving that they were in the class. Each random number can only be used once so one atendee can not share the random number with their friends. There is stil the issue of handing out one random number to each student (the same as with the attendaance slip upon which this system is based) but the collation of the attendance slips is now performed by the students.

This also forces the students to visit the course homepage. The module also has the old journal functionality to allow the teacher to set a question that the students must answer (after inputting the random number) so that the lecturer can get feedback on each lecture.

The module also has, finally, a way of tagging (like at flickr) student responses so that teachers can respond to a group of students at once.

Using a microsoft Word/Excel  "mail merge" where one can get each copy in a multiple copy print run to have a different excel cell inserted into it, then one can do without the need to cut out the random numbers. They can instead be intserted into the header of a page of lecturer summary notes for instance and printed out.

Since roll calls are too time consuming, a lot of lecturers use attendance slips, but students do take to many slips or copy them, and then get their friends to hand them in for them (sometimes getting a stock of attendance slips of each colour). In any case, inputting the names on each attendance slip is a real pain especially when the names are written in Kanji.

I think that this module is the only realistic way in which can carry out a roll call.

ALSO In many universities the answers is you do not take a roll call. Lecturers count on the fact that the lectures are interesting enough, informative enough and the exam difficult enough to ensure that students come to the lecture. In Japan, where people have a lot less respect for the sage on the stage, taking a roll call is compulsory. I think that the problem arises in that if one does not take a roll call then it is difficult to be as interesting as what the students can be doing outside of lectures, and the students know that if a roll call is not taken then a large proportion of students will not attend thus forcing the lecturer to either fail a large number of students or make the exam so easy that even those that have not attended will pass.  

In reply to Thomas Robb

Re: Restyling the Journal Module as the "Lecture Feedback Module"

by Don Hinkelman -
To all Journal Module fans, at Sapporo Gakuin University, we are continuing to use a version of the Journal Module, called "Lecture Feedback". It is working in Moodle ver. 1.9, however the gradebook functions have not been updated. We are planning to update that in the next few weeks. If you have any other very specific requests, please let me know this week (with screenshots preferrably). Note, that the attendance-taking function is now separated into the new AttendanceSlip Module.

Cheers, Don smile
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Timothy Takemoto -
I wonder whether the Lecture Feedback module works with current moodles? It was the best module, after quiz, providing an utterly unique feature - the random unique attendance codes. Wow.  There is no better way of taking attendance in large lectures. I use a MSWord mail merge (from an excel file containing) the codes to a class handout. This forces students visit the homepage once in a while too. Students hate it mind you.

I can find no sign of the module in plugins.

by Don Hinkelman -

Hi Tim,

Good to hear from you!  Here at Sapporo Gakuin University, we are maintaining the Lecture Feedback Module along with the Attendanceslip Module.  Osami Okuda sensei, who designed it, still uses it in his classes.  You can get the 2.9 and older versions here:

And we will have 3.0 versions later this month. Also, Tom Robb has redone the Attendance Module to make it more Japan-friendly and it incorporates in-class attendance-taking by smartphone or computer.

By the way, if you would like to present on your Moodling efforts or just enjoy Hokkaido, come to Hakodate on September 12-13.  http://vle.c.fun.ac.jp/workshop/course/index.php?categoryid=18

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Timothy Takemoto -
Hi Don
Thank you very much. That is super.

The Attendance slip module really is a deal breaker.
There is no way of obtaining its functionality in any other way.

Professor Okuda still looks quite young. I hope someone else supports this module before he retires but then that will be after I retire I guess so I should be okay. Please tell him thank you and that he as at least one fan in me. The unique numbers ideas is genius but perhaps that was Mr. Sekiya's idea.
http://jinbunweb.sgu.ac.jp/~okuda/pict/okuda.html

I am thinking of recommending it to a professor who wants to increase student attendance at a locally held academic conference. Faculty at her university to could be encouraged to use the module all with the same long list of attendance codes. Students could be given a code when they attend the conference which might contribute to their mark.  I wonder if it now has any effect on the grade book.

I wonder if Tom Robb's module has unique pass codes. Some of my students have been known to be good at "daihen:" saying "here" for their absent friends at role call, in a different tone of voice.

Thanks for the heads up on your worship. I hardly use Moodle, except on a small scale in my own classes, any more alas. There is no technical support. Perhaps I will start again.

Thanks again
Tim