Aggregation of letter grades

Aggregation of letter grades

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

Dear All,

I have a number of courses that students are getting letter grades for (e.g. Fail, Pass, Merit, Distinction) in Moodle 2.5.1. They have two assignments and I need a way of calculating an aggregating mark. Does Moodle provide a way for aggregating letter grades just like numerical ones? Any information on which files I would need to edit to achieve this functionality will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

George

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Aggregation of letter grades

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

As far as I know - for aggregation purposes they are converted to a percentage (on an even distribution). 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Deleted user -

So how can you say a pass and a distinction makes a distinction? Or you cannot from the current interface, but could you point me to the files need editing to insert my custom aggregation rules?

In reply to Deleted user

by Bob Puffer -

Aggregation takes place deep in the bowels of core code, lib/grade/grade_item.php.  I'd suggest you hack from the 'plugin', grade/report/grader/lib.php and grade/report/user/lib.php.