flow player in moodle 2.11

flow player in moodle 2.11

by ces moce -
Number of replies: 10

Hello

I have a course with lots of flv video. And flow player read them correctly.

My problem is all the video are prelauch by flowplayer which make the course very slow. Some time i need to wait few minutes to see a ressource that is the first section, since moodle is busy trying to load a video on a label.

How can i desable the preload fonction on flowplayer?

Thanks a lot

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ces moce

Re: flow player in moodle 2.11

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Perhaps you might be better putting your videos in a page instead of a label? See docs here:

http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Video#Should_I_put_my_video_into_a_label_or_a_page.3F

In reply to Mary Cooch

by ces moce -

i know it would be a quick solution, but i wanted to avoid this solution since my user are used to see video directly on the main page of the course.

I'm sure there is a way to setup flowplayer so it doesn't preload the video until the user click on it

In reply to ces moce

by Doug Moody -

How are you inserting your videos? I put mine in as "Add a Resource > File" type. This creates an icon that users have to click on to play the video. There is no preloading going on and everything behaves properly.

In reply to Doug Moody

by Derek Chirnside -

I have been trying several options to add a video to Moodle (ie not linking to Youtude etc):
Moodle 2.3.1+ (Build: 20120726)

1. In a Label, insert link.  Result: Cannot get it to NOT embed and preload.  (I'm pretty sure it is preloading)
  2. In a Label, insert multimedia.  Ditto.  Plys changed Text to the filename of the video clip.
  3. As Doug says, Insert as a file: leave as 'automatic'.  Result: no embedding.  Link as you name it.
  4. Insert a file, change to 'Embeded', result: no embedding.
  5. Insert URL, does't work.  This is not for linking to files uploaded to Moodle.

Ideally I'd like to be able to put videos in a label and for them to either NOT pre-load or to Not embed.

What I often get unsure about is the effect of the various media fileters and preferences set at system level.

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Derek Chirnside -

Too late to edit my post.

I decided I'd spellout what I'm hoping to achieve.  In a label, I'd like to LINK to an uploaded MP4 video clip, not embed (below) and I know there is a work around of having label, then file (where the linking works), then another label.  But I am lazy, and I also would like this to work in a book. There must be an easy way to do this!!  

-Derek

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Derek Chirnside -

Are you saying Mary that there is no way to stop a video using Flowplayer to preload?

I have added an FAQ here in anticipation of some sort of answer: http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Media_FAQ#Can_you_stop_Flowplayer_from_preloading_a_video.3F

-Derek

by Doug Moody -

I have a related question about this...

Why is Flowplayer the only method Moodle uses for playing video? Or, if it isn't, then how does one go about making a different video player the default?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Doug Moody

by Derek Chirnside -

Doug, this probably got caught in a slew of notifications, or someone knowledgeable would have answered.

See these links:

What exactly is it you want from that FP doesn't give?

-Derek

by Diane Villemure -
Doug, The links you provided do not explain how to prevent FlowPlayer from preloading the video. Is there a work-around?