Voting of answers in forums

Voting of answers in forums

by Binoj D -
Number of replies: 6

Is it possible to include a voting system in the forums so that students can vote up/down answers/replies and we can grade to the person who posted the post with most votes?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Binoj D

Re: Voting of answers in forums

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi Binoj

Instead of voting, rating can be done for the forum posts in moodle. You need to enable rating in the forum setting page then a student or teacher can rate each other post.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Binoj D -

Yeah, but IMHO, voting is easier and will engage more students than rating. Its more usable than the rating system. Also, I have noticed that most of the students will not bother to rate the answer. But if it was just pressing an "^" or "v" button, they'd totally do it.

In reply to Binoj D

by Sakshi Goel -

As far Voting feature is not available in moodle. You can just set rating scale to be one. This will work like voting only only difference is student need to click on drop down and select 1. Or you can check moodle.org rating feature. i think it is little bit altered as compared to original one.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Binoj D -

Thank you. I'll do that for now.

Out of curiosity, what does it take to bring an voting solution to moodle forums? Where do I start to make a plugin for that/modify forums code? Where do I get started on working on that? I'm not yet fully familiar with the moodle ecosystem.

In reply to Binoj D

by Sakshi Goel -

Hi

You can follow this forum to get your answer for moodle.org rating. I dont know about voting, mightanybody from moodle developer group will help you.

In reply to Binoj D

by Daniela Pinto -

Hello Binoj!

I'm also looking for a solution for self-moderated forum for larger classes - where students can vote the best responses.  Did you find a solution for your case? Do you consider the rating mechanism appropriate for our needs and worth to try?