Moodle 2.6 Student cannot see Forum Posts

Moodle 2.6 Student cannot see Forum Posts

by Kris Veldheer -
Number of replies: 8

I have a faculty member who has set up a Q & A Forum for students.  Now, some of the students are saying they cannot see other people's posts even after they post their own responses to the questions.  The faculty member has suggested the students set within Forums either (1) Display Replies in Nested Form or (2) Display replies Flat with newest first, thinking the two allow you to see everything.

When I tried going into the class I can only see the whole forum when I am an Administrator and the faculty member is seeing everything in her role as Editing Teacher.  

Any ideas or suggestions as to why the student cannot see other people's posts?  Is there something not set correctly on the server that needs to be changed?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kris Veldheer

Re: Moodle 2.6 Student cannot see Forum Posts

by Randy Wald -
Is the Groups feature being used?
In reply to Randy Wald

by Kris Veldheer -

No, the Groups feature isn't being used.  There are groups set up in the class, but this Forum is set to No Groups.

I looked at that right away because I thought that might be where the issue was, but I couldn't see anything and figured that since this particular Forum wasn't using Groups, it wasn't a factor.

Could it being something not set correctly on the Server?

Thanks for the question and help Randy!

Svar: Re: Moodle 2.6 Student cannot see Forum Posts

by Simon Heissler -

Wrong setup in forum administration/permissons ?

by Mark Pearson -

My suggestion is to do a 'Login As' the student concerned. Go to the Forum as that student and see whether you can do the Reply.

If that doesn't show anything untoward then ask the student to demonstrate the problem with the particular laptop/browser combination he/she is using. That will often show up browser or docking problems.

My experience is that if student problems with a Moodle activity / resource are widespread it's usually a configuration issue, if it's just one or two students then it's often a browser or a user configuration issue which needs to be addressed individually.

H this H smile

Mark

by Meredith Cushman -

Hello, Kris.  Did you find a solution to this issue?  Two students in the same Moodle 2.6 course are reporting this issue.  When 'logged in as' the students, I see the problem.  They do not see the other students' posts, are unable to post an initial posting, and are unable to reply to existing posts (they cannot see any of the 27 posts).  What was the solution to this issue?  Thank you!

Meredith

In reply to Meredith Cushman

by Kris Veldheer -

Hello Meredith.  I ended up chalking it up to user configuration issues because it wasn't affecting everyone in the class.  Unfortunately, I cannot see the server settings in our current configuration, so I couldn't check those.  Likewise, when I tried to replicate the problem using a test student I didn't have the same problems as the student already in the class.

I suspect that it had something to do with computer/browser combination the students in question were using.  If you have better access to your students than I do, I would suggest seeing what they are using to access Moodle and if they are having similar issues in other courses.  Please let me know what you find out.  I have not had this issue come up so far this semester.  Thanks!

Kris

by ryan sanders -

no idea how to address your issue. so just random guessing. 

• groups might be something ((accidentally click from activity settings))
  • completion, availability,  students did not complete something via the activity / resource settings for the forum?
  • enrollment method and/or authentication, (adding in cohorts here as well), some settings might be different from other students. (heck check if they are enrolled a few times in course)
  • double check students roles did not get some how changed for course vs other students. 
  • purge all caches... ((default theme of moodle install,  below site admin menu, type in "cache" and search.   and then go through and purge all caches and then turn off individual caches, and turn them back on.   file error / write error / read error ? 
  • students are loggin in some place else... there is a session feature some place in site admin menu. to cause moodle to only let users have a single session (bad for folks like opening stuff in multi tabs).

================

• clear cache / history / cookies, on students browsers,   test, and then turn off javascript see what happens. ((also restart the computers))  possible a couple kids, getting to cookies or like and messing things up to cause aggravation?
  • anything strange about the 2 user profile info...  # @ ' ! - _   (special characters) in fields that are not like others,  d'rogers? 
In reply to ryan sanders

by Meredith Cushman -

Thanks for your creative ideas, Ryan.

The problem turned out to be simply the "Display End Date".  It was enabled on the instructor's post and that hid the whole thread on the specified date.  The Display End date can be found by going to the instructor's initial post.  Click "Edit" in the lower right.   Locate the Display End date section and make sure Enable is not checked.